PDA

View Full Version : no signs on truck?

okiest8
04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
i just started my own lawn service.and had my logo put on my truck,trailer.My ? is i see a lot of lawn service trucks with no signs at all how to contact them.do you think they have to many customers that they don't want anymore lawns.:confused:

stroker51
04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I have been mowing for going on 4 years now, and it is my first with signs on the truck. Everybody I have talked to said that they really never got any more business from having signs on their trucks, at least not very much. I think it is just a thing to look more professional, which it does do. But I see that you are located here in Kansas, so I thought that maybe you would like to know that you might want to add a DOT # to your sign and your gross weight (what your tag says). I don't know what kinda truck/trailer you are runnin, but if you have pretty much any truck 1/2 ton or bigger and a tandem trailer, you need to look into being DOT/KCC compliant. I am just working on this this year, but if you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

1MajorTom
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
different strokes, for different folks. some people just feel it isn't necessary i guess. I think some type of lettering, whether it be magnetic signs or vinyl lettering is great for name recongnition.

KeenanB
04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
One thing to think about, that I learned from a friend of mine, who has a VERY, and I do mean VERY, successful industrial tire business who runs many trucks, also does some passenger stuff but not much. Anyway... Only his biggest delivery truck has the company name on it. The reason being is that, unfortunately, around here someone sees that sign on there, thinks "hmm...a business with a lot of commercial insurance", and you end up in an accident...because they want a new car and some money...and a lot of times they get it. I know it happened to him once or twice...so, his smaller trucks have no signage on them. Just to keep people from seeing that sign as their winning mini-lotto ticket.

However, I do agree that it would look more professional, even if it didn't draw in more business. But, hey, think about it this way...if you keep the signage reasonable and can find a good price for it, one decent contract and you paid for it whether it works again or not.

topsites
04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
i just started my own lawn service.and had my logo put on my truck,trailer.My ? is i see a lot of lawn service trucks with no signs at all how to contact them.do you think they have to many customers that they don't want anymore lawns.:confused:

My insurance for the truck would cost at least 1,000 dollars / year more than what it is now... Another way to say it is, it would put my truck in the commercial category but so long I have no signs on it, I'm covered under my personal policy and that is very nice. I suspect it has to do with what keenanb just got done explaining about lotto tickets, kinda ... And it does make sense, no signs sometimes means it's not covered commercially but putting signs on it is a fair guarantee that it is.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I feel signs on the truck are another way of engraving your name in someone's memory. If they see you out at the neighbor's property parked on the road every week doing the lawns and see you do a quality job they will remember that name. If you don't have any signs they may not have a clue who is mowing that yard unless they go and ask that person. Same thing with yard signs. I have a few customers that live on very popular golf courses and I put a small yard sign in the back yard so that the golfers see that name everytime they play golf. I figure those golf courses have 60,000 rounds per year so that is one of the best ways to get your name out there. I have a saying that someone is always watching to see what kind of job you are going to do because many lco's come and go, I hope to be one that stays and grows.

okiest8
04-20-2006, 09:44 PM
i have a 2002 dodge half ton 4x4 ,trailer is a 5x14 single axle do i need to be dot,kcc compliant?

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I got 4 sets of magnets for my truck. I keep my all white because we do a lot of sub contracting work. So who ever I am working for that day. I put their magnets on. The other contractors we work for love it. Because then they don't have to explain to the customer why another company is working on the job they sold. Which is also why we have just plain green shirts. 70% of the time my magnets are on it.

topsites
04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
i have a 2002 dodge half ton 4x4 ,trailer is a 5x14 single axle do i need to be dot,kcc compliant?

No but stay single axle on the trailer or your GVWR may exceed 10,000 pounds at which point you may be required to have a class-C Commercial Driver's License.

As far as current compliance, your lights need to work.

JJLandscapes
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
its for branding... when you have a nice logo and someone happens to open up the local paper and needs a new landscaper they might remember seeing your truck doing a house on there block or see you at a nice looking lawn

Az Gardener
04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
We have no signs on the trucks, trailer, or uniforms, I ran out of business cards over a year ago. I sometimes joke about being the stealth gardener. People still stop and ask the guys for my number because my guys do outstanding work. I have begun getting referrals from a horticultural consultant that I don't even know just because he has seen a couple of our properties and knows we do a great job and we know what were doing. It didn't happen over night and I would still like to get a large wrap type picture of one of the properties for the trailer just for the ego factor. Maybe with no name or number :rolleyes: Its easy for me I'm in a resort area with lots of wealthy clients willing to pay for the superior service. I don't think I could pull this off in Indiana where I grew up.

mindset063
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I just started in business this season, and I did get signs for my truck. I paid $90. I just landed a $225 job by someone seeing my signs on the truck. Paid themselves off already.

okiest8
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
do you need any kind of permit to have these on your truck and trailer?

mindset063
04-20-2006, 10:36 PM
nope, no permits or anything

The landscaper
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Not everybody is that smart....Not all scapers are on here learning from 30,000 people.

okiest8
04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
stroker51 i tryed to pm ya but when i try to send it it always says you have 3 messages stored. what the heck im i doin wrong????????

chevytrucks84
04-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I have vinyl lettering on the windows on the exteneded cap of my truck they are about as wide as the window and about 4 inches tall and the same decal on the back window under the 3rd brake light. They are silver and look really sharp on the tinted windows and dark green truck. I dont know if they get me any jobs from strangers but people that know me see them on my truck and then realize i am in the business. It also looks more professional while on a job and it has gotten me a client from someone walking by when i was doing a job and they knew that i was a lco

POPO4995
05-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I have lettering on my truck's extended cab windows and the rest of the lettering is on the trailers.

Freddy_Kruger
05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Everybody I have talked to said that they really never got any more business from having signs on their trucks, at least not very much.
That is total BS imo and experience. Maybe they don't try and source. Decals are more important than the yellow pages in my opinion. I mean just to park a truck in front of someones house or in their driveway you should have decals to identify yourselves to suspicious neighbours.
Just this spring in the last two weeks with new decals I'll be talking to someone who phoned and they will say I'm across the street. That must have happened every 2nd day. It also makes you a lot more approachable to neighbours who see your decals and you working then come ask to power rake their lawn. Not to mention the effect nice decals would have on a customer that phoned you from flyers or phonebook. How would you feel with a company with no decals? I would think they are under the table guys I might get a good job but I don't think I would recommend them to anyone, without decals you don't know who they are, granted thats just a perception but decals don't cost that much money and lack of them cost a lot more.

I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT DECALS, LOL.

Freddy_Kruger
05-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I have lettering on my truck's extended cab windows and the rest of the lettering is on the trailers.
I got my phone number about 4.5 feet long, on my box (both sides). You can see my phone number from space. or so they say.

StBalor
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I put no letters or signs on my truck for 1 reason. It saves me money at the dump. All commercial vehicles have to pay to use the county landfills. Thats more money in my pocket.

chriscraft
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
In most states it's the law that you have to carry signs on your truck, have proper insurance and follow OSHA laws and regulations. People who dont do usually where it is mandated do so to get away with being legit. They say insurance is more and everything else. But most kids and non legits do it to be on the sly. My paltes for my over 1/2 ton trucks are $500 per year. Thats the price of being a real company as opposed to a guy cutting grass to make some extra cash

hillndale
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I have magnetic signs on my truck for now. My truck is currently for personal, as well as business, so the flexibility to remove the signs when traveling or whatever is good. I recently changed my insurance to "busness" use, but was told if I had any kind of advertising on the truck I would need to get "commercial" insurance. So if you don't have signs "business" Ins. is for going from job to job, even with my trailer & equip., but if I have the signs, and going from job to job, all of a sudden it's "commercial" (kind of a racket to me) I've said it before here, being ligitimate, is a costly proposition. I believe it's the way to go and I've got my liability ins etc, but upgading from "business" to "commercial" may have to wait 'till next year. It's a big hit right now for me, on top of keeping the business going the way I want ie. advertising, ins, operating expenses etc.

Goofy thing is one insurance lady told me, just take the magnets off if you have an accident. Oh yeh...right. I can just see that. Hopefully me or nobody is hurt, and I'm gonna jump outa the truck and rip off the magnets & throw em behind the seat. That's gonna look real good:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hillndale:headphones:

JT1304
05-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I feel signs on the truck are another way of engraving your name in someone's memory. If they see you out at the neighbor's property parked on the road every week doing the lawns and see you do a quality job they will remember that name. If you don't have any signs they may not have a clue who is mowing that yard unless they go and ask that person. Same thing with yard signs. I have a few customers that live on very popular golf courses and I put a small yard sign in the back yard so that the golfers see that name everytime they play golf. I figure those golf courses have 60,000 rounds per year so that is one of the best ways to get your name out there. I have a saying that someone is always watching to see what kind of job you are going to do because many lco's come and go, I hope to be one that stays and grows.

how many people have called to say thet got your # from the golf course? Just curious b/c we do a few on a couple courses around here.:confused:

topsites
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM

In my case, first it would cost over a thousand dollars a year extra in insurance to have said signs, but also I find signs do not attract extra business however they DO attract the occasional complaint call from some enraged driver and also they attract the oddball customer who likes to get me going on a wild goose chase.

That's just me, I don't like signs at all but if you want them on that is you.

However, if I had a fleet of trucks, I believe things would be different because I would actually want to hear complaints from other drivers, just in case.

hillndale
05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
In my case, first it would cost over a thousand dollars a year extra in insurance to have said signs, but also I find signs do not attract extra business however
That's just me, I don't like signs at all but if you want them on that is you.
However, if I had a fleet of trucks, I believe things would be different because I would actually want to hear complaints from other drivers, just in case.

Is the extra thousand dollars due to having to claim "commercial", if you had the signs?

Had a guy tap on my window at the grocery store the other day. Saw the signs on the truck & wanted a quote. Also, in my smaller town, I'm hoping the signs, incorporated with my local advertising, will register with folks if they see it consistantly.

hillndale

PMLAWN
05-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Trucks have always been bare- Had name and # on the trailers. But I have removed the # from all trailers. Most work comes from word of mouth and the # on the trailer was just getting calls I did not want to get.
If you are new and still taking any and all work they would help.

eyes&earsopen
05-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I like the signs personally, but of all the types of advertising I've done - I've yet to get one customer from them. I'm also looking forward to removing them when I get to the number of yards I was shooting for this season.

I agree with some of the others, good decals/signs do make a good impression in my opinion. I guess it just comes down to a matter of preference.

ed2hess
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
My son made me remove the sign on my trailer because he was getting calls about my bad slow driving.

stroker51
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Trucks have always been bare- Had name and # on the trailers. But I have removed the # from all trailers. Most work comes from word of mouth and the # on the trailer was just getting calls I did not want to get.
If you are new and still taking any and all work they would help.

This is what I was tryin to get at on my last post. The guys I have talked to around here have the work, the reputation, and word floating around town now that they really don't need that advertisement, it doesn't get them that much more work. I got my magnets for both trucks done about 2 weeks ago. Haven't gotten any calls from them, but I think it does look more professional, and I will be less conspicuous to a state trooper now that I have USDOT#'s and GVW 20,000 on the truck, that is worth it to me, whether I get any more customers from my signs or not.