PDA

View Full Version : Big yard clean up, need help with estimate

barny82
04-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I am going to be trimming the base of 2 large pine trees, trimming a wicked nasty leave bearing tree, trimming 30 feet of bushes that are 6 feet tall and 60 feet of bushes that are 10 feet tall (just one side), trimming another 40 feet or shrubs that are 4 feet tall. Then I am going to Aerate that lawn fertalize it. Rake up the dead leaves in all the bushes that I explained. Then cut the lawn. I was wondering what others would charge for this job.

I have not given the guy a price yet but I was thinking along these lines
Lawn cut $22 w/ fert
Aeration $50
Rake leaves $50
Two Pine trees $80
Nasty Tree $70
30 feet of bush $75
60 feet of bush $75
40 feet of shrub $40
For a grand total of $462

What do you think to high to low or just right?

dcondon
04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
That sounds very very cheap!!! How big of a lawn is it????

mikefromny
04-20-2006, 11:44 PM
id charge about 1300

Craymarris
04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
well if your not incorpated, dont pay taxes, have no insurance, and plan to do all the work yourself and don't mind working cheap then thats a good price. other then that $1200 to $1500.

rickt
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Sounds like your in the wrong business if you cant estimate your own work.

Another thing, its useless coming here asking if your "estimate" is good, each area in the USA is totally different in prices.

topsites
04-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Without seeing the actual work, I'm thinking around 1.200 Euros, 1.500 USD and 1.700 CAD.
That is unless Canada is cheaper than the US, which except perhaps for medical care...

CBramble
04-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Another thing, its useless coming here asking if your "estimate" is good, each area in the USA is totally different in prices.

Lay off him FCOL. This is the "Just Starting" Forum

Precision
04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I get $90 american per app of fert for 1/4 acre lots (8000 sq ft of turf)
Aeration should be $150 or so on that size more if double or triple passing it.
The rest I would charge around $100 per man hour and $75 per trip to the dump

My guess would be
$240 for fert and aeration
$35-45 for a one time cut
and probably 6 man hours @ $600
plus $75 dump fee
So call it $950 - $1000

But without seeing it, who knows.

zim bob the landscaper
04-22-2006, 06:20 PM
I am going to be trimming the base of 2 large pine trees, trimming a wicked nasty leave bearing tree, trimming 30 feet of bushes that are 6 feet tall and 60 feet of bushes that are 10 feet tall (just one side), trimming another 40 feet or shrubs that are 4 feet tall. Then I am going to Aerate that lawn fertalize it. Rake up the dead leaves in all the bushes that I explained. Then cut the lawn. I was wondering what others would charge for this job.

I have not given the guy a price yet but I was thinking along these lines
Lawn cut $22 w/ fert
Aeration $50
Rake leaves $50
Two Pine trees $80
Nasty Tree $70
30 feet of bush $75
60 feet of bush $75
40 feet of shrub $40
For a grand total of $462

What do you think to high to low or just right?
cheap.:nono: charge more and get morepayup.

MysticLandscape
04-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Want to do some jobs I have?

FIREMAN Q
04-22-2006, 09:24 PM
I have been charging by the hour. I give them my hourly rate and they have all been happy with that. I works for me. This way I don't have to worry about under/over bidding.

I do this on the larger lawns. For the smaller ones that I know will only take about 4 hours then i will charge for the 4 hours in my estimate.

grassmasterdawn
04-23-2006, 02:05 AM
I have been charging by the hour. I give them my hourly rate and they have all been happy with that. I works for me. This way I don't have to worry about under/over bidding.

I do this on the larger lawns. For the smaller ones that I know will only take about 4 hours then i will charge for the 4 hours in my estimate.

How much do you charge per hour?

Precision
04-23-2006, 02:41 AM

No offense, but that is for people who don't know what they are doing at bidding and it ends up costing you money.

Bid it at a set $ amount. Then when you get done sooner, it is extra profit.

And if they aren't crying about your hourly rate, it is probably too low.

Raven386
04-23-2006, 02:45 AM

sounds like your a rude ******* IMO

FIREMAN Q
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
No offense, but that is for people who don't know what they are doing at bidding and it ends up costing you money.

Bid it at a set $ amount. Then when you get done sooner, it is extra profit.

And if they aren't crying about your hourly rate, it is probably too low.

Its not that I don't know what I am doing, i am new but i feel that i have a fairly good grasp on it all. Of course I will make mistakes like underbidding but by pricing hourly i don't have to worry about it. I would be nice to bid on a property and get it done earlier then estimated. More money for me. I think the customer appreciates the honesty and wont feel over charged. They will know what to expect from the beginning.

My hourly rate is based on what I need to make an hour plus the cost of my employee's. It might be lower than some other's but its my overhead.

This won't work for everyone but for those just starting and for those who are not exactly sure what to bid on a property and can't afford to lose money by underbidding or lose a job because you over bid the job then I think that giving an hourly rate is the way to go.

Now the next time you go back to the property you will have a firm grasp on the time it will take to complete the job then I would give them a solid $$$.

:drinkup:

Daner
04-23-2006, 03:34 PM
you first have to think how long will it take you to do this job
How much will it cost you for your helper ...If your going to use one
Then the fert,Gas and the trips to the dump
Make a list...thats how you do your estamating
for anyone to price a job without seeing it first ...It would be tricky
good luck

Precision
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
you first have to think how long will it take you to do this job
How much will it cost you for your helper ...If your going to use one
Then the fert,Gas and the trips to the dump
Make a list...thats how you do your estamating
for anyone to price a job without seeing it first ...It would be tricky
good luck

what really needs to be done is figure all you costs for the entire year. Obviously first year it will be somewhat of a guess. Then divide that by worked man hours. This gives you a cost of production per man hour. Then you need to figure in salary, salary taxes, profit, personal pay and that comes out to the absolute minimum you can charge per man hour to be in business.

example
gas, equipment, truck, insurance, whatever else costs $48000 per year
you work 3000 man hours between you and a helper
so it costs $16 per man hour in overhead

then you pay yourself $20 per hour plus comp and taxes costs $26 per hour

Helper gets $10 per hour so costs $13 per hour

profit you want to be $3 per hour or $9000 at years end.

So now you know you need to charge a minimum of $16+ 26+ 3 = $45 for your time
and
$16 + 13+ 3+= $32 for your helper.

These are not real numbers but show you how you need to be figuring costs.

I figure that, and use it as my price for mowing.
My price for anything else is adjusted upward as it becomes more complex, more annoying or just plain I know I can get more for a certain project.

Example, clean up of overgrowth of hedges is $100 per hour. and is very profitable, but the client knows they won't do it, doesn't have the right tools to do it and has no way to get the stuff to the dump anyway.