PDA

View Full Version : Pulling PE and PVC

Hank Reardon
04-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Pardon my newbie inquiry, but what is the benefit of pulling these? Don't you have to dig holes for the valves, heads, flow meter, etc.?

Dirty Water
04-21-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm stealing a picture from BSME:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55472&d=1145452776

Notice how little a plow damages the turf. Thats the major selling point for me.

Secondly, its faster to dig up each head than it is to backfill the entire trench.

We can usually install a head (dig, install and backfill) in just 3-4 minutes. On a lateral with 5 heads (100' or so long) you can plow and install in less than 30 minutes.

Try doing that with a trencher.

BSME
04-21-2006, 03:15 AM
what Jon said.

1) you can see how nice it looks. We leave yard signs after new installs... and since a neighbor can't really see our work without asking the homeowner to show them what we did, we are hoping they'll be impressed by what they don't see (damage to the existing turf).

2) speed. I really have no idea how long a system takes if it were trenched but that job in the picture was 7 zones (6 rotors, 1 shrub). Took 5 guys, including myself, 9 hours. and I barely touched a shovel or rake the whole time since I spent four hours with another guy pulling the pipe and shooting the bores (I haven't mastered my machine like Jon yet) and then did other misc things like installing the timer.

Hank Reardon
04-21-2006, 12:36 PM
what Jon said.

1) you can see how nice it looks. We leave yard signs after new installs... and since a neighbor can't really see our work without asking the homeowner to show them what we did, we are hoping they'll be impressed by what they don't see (damage to the existing turf).

2) speed. I really have no idea how long a system takes if it were trenched but that job in the picture was 7 zones (6 rotors, 1 shrub). Took 5 guys, including myself, 9 hours. and I barely touched a shovel or rake the whole time since I spent four hours with another guy pulling the pipe and shooting the bores (I haven't mastered my machine like Jon yet) and then did other misc things like installing the timer.

I can see how it could speed up time (nice job; in one day even), but how much does the machine cost in hourly overhead? How much [per zone] would a system like the one shown cost? It also seems like quite an expensive piece of machinery to not be running nearly every week.

I've heard conflicting stories on the ability for the units to pull in heavy clay/rocky soil. Is there validity to these statements?

-Russ

Dirty Water
04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
I can see how it could speed up time (nice job; in one day even), but how much does the machine cost in hourly overhead? How much [per zone] would a system like the one shown cost? It also seems like quite an expensive piece of machinery to not be running nearly every week.

I've heard conflicting stories on the ability for the units to pull in heavy clay/rocky soil. Is there validity to these statements?

-Russ

Our 410 runs every day, for at least an hour.

We have two types of soil out here. Extra rocky, and heavy clay.

The 410 handles both with ease.

Hank Reardon
04-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Our 410 runs every day, for at least an hour.

We have two types of soil out here. Extra rocky, and heavy clay.

The 410 handles both with ease.

Would you still use it with new construction?

-Russ

Dirty Water
04-22-2006, 11:29 AM

-Russ

Sometimes. We have a Ditchwitch 3500 riding trencher that has a backfill blade. This puppy is quick when you don't care how the final product looks.

PurpHaze
04-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Sometimes. We have a Ditchwitch 3500 riding trencher that has a backfill blade. This puppy is quick when you don't care how the final product looks.

OUCH! Us "trencher guys" should be offended. :laugh:

Beartooth
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I pull 90% of our jobs, wether they are in established lawns or new construction. I of course use poly. Have you ever tried to drop poly from a roll into open trenches?? It's a pain in the butt. I love my pipe plow!

Hank Reardon
04-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Don't you have a lot of friction loss with the use of PE on the entire job?

BSME
04-25-2006, 06:20 AM
roots were my biggest concern with the 255sx.... the 410, however, makes a huge difference...

never had a problem with any clay or other soil

I would use it on new construction because I only use poly and wouldn't unroll poly into a trench.

and I've only ever installed with poly, never had a problem

justgeorge
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM

-Russ
I have a 255sx. Last year I had a job where I could use a trencher, so I tried it since all the cutting and glueing can be done above ground. Never again, I'll plow every time. Of course, that was using a 2" mini-trencher that was really hard to run, if I was using a bigger 4" chain trencher that was self-propelled, AND it had a backfill blade, then MAYBE.

George

PurpHaze
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Last year I had a job where I could use a trencher, so I tried it since all the cutting and glueing can be done above ground.

If you mean that the pipe can be "bowed" out of the trench for cutting and glueing then I follow. If you mean glueing the whole thing together and then dropping it into the trenches like some DIY guys propose then there's problems. :hammerhead:

Beartooth
04-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Most residential sites don't require that much flow. We use PVC on all our commercial installs. Using PE you just have to be a little more careful and calculate your overall pipe length per zone. I try to never max out my water usage no matter if it's PE or PVC. I love PE in the spring though--no freeze breaks!