PDA

View Full Version : Organic Pesticide for Ticks?

GeoPappas
04-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Are there any organic products out there that will get rid of ticks from a lawn and natural area? I would like to get rid of the ticks, but not everything else.

upidstay
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Insecticides are bug killers by design. They will generally kill any insect they contact, if you get enough on them. Ticks are tough customers, requiring a strong shot of insecticide. There are safer products out there, like insecticidal soaps and oils. They have limited effect on ticks, but will still kill non-target insects. Go online and learn about the habits of ticks in your area. This will tell you when and where to spray to be most effective.

cedarcroft
06-01-2006, 08:25 PM
from what I understand, Garlic Juice will kil and/or repel ticks from an area. google "mosquito barrier" and you can look on the company's website. There is info there on what it does to ticks and fleas as well as mosquitos.

gsxr1100
06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Cedarcraft is correct. I use Garlic pills for my 3 dogs and DE on my lawn..1 tick in 2 years!

ryno23
06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
how many pills do you give each dog and how often, i have 3 labs, i was planning on getting some frontline tomorrow but might check into the garlic pills.

gsxr1100
06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
We give 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. Our dogs (1 rottie and 2 pits; rescue dogs) We do not use frontline for various reasons.

Reasons are: putting chemicals on pet(s) we do not like, chemicals on skin; then rugs on carpets etc then my little ones (kids) play on the rugs etc. They (kids) also pet the dogs and then sick hands in mouth.

Not saying Frontline is 100% bad but those are some of the reasons why we do not use it. Plus Garlic is cheaper. We also use Tomato juice and Brewers Yeast to prevent urine stains in the grass. Also use Norwegian Kelp on them for health reason and other items for joints etc.

Oh, the DE (Diatomaceous Earth—FOOD grade) works great on the lawn and mulch beds. Kills ants, flies, ticks etc. That with garlic is almost 100% perfect!!!!

Sorry to ramble on here the wife did rescue for about 9 years with rottie and pits and she wants to save them all.

upidstay
06-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Used to use garlic as an insect repellant on lawns and it only accomplished one thing: Made the neighbors mad because of the smell. It did exactly zero to keep insects away. All lawns treated still had ticks, chinch bugs, bill bugs, etc. It is useless. And this is experience garnered on hundreds of accounts of all types and sizes.

gsxr1100
06-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Upidstay

Garlic on the lawn????? how would you even do that?

I have not used "garlic for my lawn" as you stated but unless it is inside the dog, it will do zero for bugs.

if you do not want to use DE for some odd reason you can use other nautral methods to keep bugs out. DE is the best I have used for lawn and garlic in pill form (in food).

Pilgrims' Pride
06-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Go to www.mosquitobarrier.com
I use it here at home.
Follow the instructions and you will be mosquito free and more tick free.
I say more tick free because the garlic will repel ticks (very well!) but not kill those that are there now.

I mixed the garlic w/ hort soap, hort oil and tempo.
OUTSTANDING results.
In fact I offer it to customers now.

Tempo I realize may not be your thing but it is still a pyrethroid isnt it?
Its main ingredient is a by product from ground up chrysanthimums?

David Gabriel
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
A good product contains a blend of natural chrysanthemum extracts which have chemically insectidal properties, and diatomaceous earth, which is physically insecticidal - it supposedly nicks the tick forcing dehydration.

I can't remember the name of the blend but a tick control company using organic methods whould know about it.

Chris@CRU
06-23-2006, 05:22 PM
If it was organic treatment you were seeking, using Tempo voided that premise. Second, with Tempo being a repellent, and synthetic pyrethroid, mixing it with garlic or any thing else is not necessary and counter productive. There are many reasons not to waste time with slow acting or even less effective treatments for ticks. Once they have a foothold inside your home they repoduce at alarming rates. The threat of Lyme disease and others is enough to utilize a professional service to correctly eradicate or control the tick population, now, not weeks/months..ect.

Pilgrims' Pride
06-23-2006, 05:57 PM
If it was organic treatment you were seeking, using Tempo voided that premise. Second, with Tempo being a repellent, and synthetic pyrethroid, mixing it with garlic or any thing else is not necessary and counter productive. There are many reasons not to waste time with slow acting or even less effective treatments for ticks. Once they have a foothold inside your home they repoduce at alarming rates. The threat of Lyme disease and others is enough to utilize a professional service to correctly eradicate or control the tick population, now, not weeks/months..ect.

Chris.

I guess I wasnt clear.
I realize that using tempo voids the idea of a completely organic control.
I use tempo to kill existing ticks.
The garlic does keep them from returning.
'Don't see the problem there.
Maybe you could enlighten me.

BTW, I consider myself to be a professional service.
After more than 18 years in the field I think I've earned that.

upidstay
06-26-2006, 09:07 AM
To answer GSRX's question, we used either food grade garlic powder or garlic juice. It was added as part of an "organic" lawn program, along with a nityrogen source, some humates, and a variety of other organic products. This was part of a liquid program. Wasn't my company, I just mixed it the way i was told. It did exactly zero to prevent insect infestations. I used to pull ticks off of me after being covered in the stuff from spraying all day. It might work systemically, in pill form in an animal, but this method we used was certainly ineffective. All it did was smell bad.

Chris@CRU
06-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Chris.

I guess I wasnt clear.

My apologies. My intent was not to insult anyone. Rather, knowing the potential for disease spread from ticks, taking a "green" or organic approach will not yield results that I believe to be effective in comparison. I believe in a responsible application program, apply only what is needed as needed, according to the label. After 17 years of treating these insects and seeing the resulting effects of Lyme Disease, I won't place my family or those I am paid to protect in jeopardy. I am passionate about providing professional results in a professional manner. I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else was not professional.

upidstay
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Chris:
Amen, brother. I am in CT, the birthplace of Lyme Disease, and it is very very nasty. Not something to pussy foot around. Lyme is the #1 vector borne disease in the country today. I know many people with it. One is in a wheel chair now because of the damage it did to her joints. She is also developing neurological problems including an irregular heart beat and tremors. It ruined her life. She contracted it before anybody knew what it was and it went untreated for to long. Even if it is treated early, it can have lifelong effects, and they aren't even sure if it is 100% treatable. And, 20% of those with the disease show no symptoms. I am all for responsible pesticide use, but this represents a clear threat to public health, and needs to be dealt with by all means necessary. Animal rights activists protest every time there is a deer hunt, even though there is a direct correlation between deer and deer tick (the carriers of lymes) populations. This disease is spreading rapidly across the country. It should be in most states with deer within 20 years. I am a proponent of organics and IPM, but these things need to be hit hard and fast.There endeth th tirade

Pilgrims' Pride
06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Chris.

I guess I wasnt clear.

My apologies. My intent was not to insult anyone. Rather, knowing the potential for disease spread from ticks, taking a "green" or organic approach will not yield results that I believe to be effective in comparison. I believe in a responsible application program, apply only what is needed as needed, according to the label. After 17 years of treating these insects and seeing the resulting effects of Lyme Disease, I won't place my family or those I am paid to protect in jeopardy. I am passionate about providing professional results in a professional manner. I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else was not professional.

Ok Chris,

So I guess we agree on some things.
Do you see anything wrong with my method?
I would welcome your thoughts.

Chris@CRU
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Pilgrim,
Methods, they vary with the region and pest involved. Knowing the health risk involved with ticks, I feel as a professional that there are responsibilities to control or eradicate them from an area where human and domestic animal contact is imminent. I respect the approach you are taking, however the pest in question presents a serious health hazard. Many organic approaches are extremly effective. The garlic mearly repells the ticks. My concern is for those that would act on the information believing they are killing off, or reducing the ticks to a level as to be safe, when in fact they may not be. Removal of harborage sites, ie: all over grown areas on the property, in addition to pet treatment, and repellents on the human population of the site, in addition to the methods you have outlined, would, in fact, be the most effective way to use the organic approach. However, are there effective, completely organic treatments to accomplish this?
I do not discount organic mehtods, just believe there are situations which require the nonorganic approach.
By the way, thank you for the education.