PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the business

MarkMn
04-21-2006, 02:39 PM
I've always had an interest in landscaping and especially the equipment used so I know that this is the profession for me. Anyways I just graduated high school last spring and have taken 1 year of classes so far in college. I plan on getting my grounds maintence and horticulture certificates within the next few years of schooling. During the summer/spring I'm going to work at a local golf course as a greenskeeper and try to learn as much as possible from my supervisor. My question is if I wanted to start a small business while in school out of my truck (I'll be driving a toyota tacoma, I've heard these are very dependable trucks and can last for ages) during the winters what kind of equipment should I get and is there a lot of work during the winter months?

MarkMn
04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Does anybody have some advice for me?

PxPx
04-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Good idea on working for someone to learn all that you can. That is what I am doing right now. I just started 3 weeks ago, and man is it tough work. But I used to be in the tree care industry so I know I can handle it (once I get into shape, had an office job for 2 years!!!). Where do you live? I myself live in Colorado. Not sure if there is too much work for an LCO, maybe a landscaper, which is something I am wanting to get into a year or two after starting doing lawn care. I know this might not be advice for you, but I thought I would give some input anyway.

Badgerz
04-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Does anybody have some advice for me?

The search function of the forum is your best friend. Put in some forum time and read, read, read. That's about the best advice you could ask for.

PxPx
04-23-2006, 01:27 AM
I meant to say 'Not sure if there is too much work for an LCO during winter, maybe a landscaper'

Raven386
04-23-2006, 01:30 AM
well for the winter, a good shovel will do.