PDA

View Full Version : backyard cleanup

Rescue
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I am new to the business and I have a customer that would like me to "cleanup" his backyard, it is a fairly new neighborhood, and the yard is in great shape. Once you hit where they didn't plant grass in the back is where it gets ugly. Small trees, light brush, rocks, stumps, posion ivy etc... I quoted the customer 50$ an hour. The only supplies I would see I would have to buy is roundup to spray on the living stuff. I have all the tools necessary, can anyone suggest any other method to killing this stuff besides round up, I don't have a spraying license. Should i charge for the chemical(roundup or whatever) or should I just keep my flat rate and hold on to whatever supplies I dont use. Thanks for the help.
Rescue

sheshovel
04-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea you need to charge for any materials you may use..last time I looked..round-up just killed the top of poison-oak(we don't have poison ivy here)and something much stronger was needed to kill the roots
and still it required spraying over and over and over again

cessnasovereign
04-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Uh oh.. Competition! How many clients do you have?

Rescue
04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Right now just 4 steady customers, I started a whole two weeks ago. I am a full time student and just doing this on the side, for some extra cash. Using a Briggs and Stratton, Stihl trimmer, and a Homelite Blower that blows when it wants to.

rickt
04-21-2006, 07:42 PM
The way i killed poison ivy in my grandmothers yard is i soaked the ivy with some pure gas and then placed a old heavy tarp (that cost .50 cents a the flea market) and let it sit for a few days, when i went back the ivy was dried out and dead, its been almost a year and it has never grown back. I know this is not the safest way but it gets the job done.

cessnasovereign
04-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I hear ya.. Where do you go to school at? I live in Indian Trail/Hemby Bridge.

Rescue
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Thats definitely an idea with the gasoline, I saw some heavy duty brush and shrub killer I will probably try, then attack it with a brush blade on my trimmer and just blow it back... his back yard goes quite a ways it actually ends in a pretty big ditch/creek...I've got my fire protection degree from CP and am working on getting my emt certification along with a couple other classes that will help me in this field. Turf and grass stuff along with small engine repair all through CPCC.

sheshovel
04-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Good well wear all your fire protection gear when to brushcut that poison ivy buddy or you will be one sorry sucker!

Rescue
04-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah I usually cover up pretty good, I'm thinking of duct taping my pant legs and sleeves, gloves all that the poison ivy is only about maybe 3 sq ft, I still dont want to take any chances. Just clear all that first an get it out of the way, I've looked around and that seems to be the only patch anywhere even in his neighbors lots. Thanks for all the advice I will get to work on it early next week.

hanleyturf
04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't apply any chemical to a customers lawn without an applicators license. Here in NY the fee is steep, including possible jail time. Check with your local cooperative extension office.

Runner
04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
And do NOT put gasoline down into the ground. that is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard.