PDA

View Full Version : advertising ?

mr mow
04-21-2006, 07:30 PM
has anyone ever tried putting up signs on medians or other city property near residentail areas. with an avg. price and who to call. kind of like garage sale signs or open house signs. did it work? seams like a cheap way to advertise to me.

nitro121
04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
cost about $250 for 50 18x24 corrugated plastic signs w/ 25 metal stakes so I could put 1/2 in the ground and half on posts, etc.. I have to take them down...the county called me and told me they could fine me. I'll take them down in a couple weeks...by then everyone is cutting their own yard or someone else is. It took me from 4 accounts last year to 53 confirmed and 20 possibles and 1 full time employee. But....the sign guy I used was cheap...everyone else wanted an arm and a leg...but he's just starting up and needed the business.

Gary

Coreyb
04-21-2006, 08:44 PM
tried it and i knew it was against city ordinence. figured, everyone else was doing it, so i will. WRONG. city called me and said if the signs were not down by noon, i would get a ticket for every one. asked about other companies that has signs out and they told me that they were already ticketed after they were warned. seems like a good cheap way to advertise, but do you really want that negative attention from municipalities?? every county and city are different. check with them BEFORE you do it.

mr mow
04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
i'll take the chance. i was thinking of using heavy duty constuction paper(white) that is glossy on one side and putting 2 pieces of the paper glossy side out and stapling the outside edges and putting a wood stake up through the middle and using a staple gun to attach the paper to the stake i think i could do it for under 50 bucks. why waste so much money if the city is gonna call and tell me to take them down...right. how much was the fine out of curosity?

topsites
04-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Whatever you do please consider your signs disposable, then you'll be fine.

In my case the county never said a word, but I put out about 15 or 20 of these things one day and by the next day over 90 percent of them were gone: I suspect competitors to a small degree but neighborhood residents to a somewhat larger degree - So if the county says nothing, other folks can and will remove them as well.

Still, I made about 50 signs and you have to either do it yourself or get it done cheap because I just kept putting them out (in different areas) and they kept being taken away but in the end after 2-3 days I had some more work. So they work real good, people do call even if the sign is removed within 24 hours lol. Yeah, they really work good, does depend some on location.

As for why the county never got on me, I always put my signs inside neighborhoods and not along busy city streets would be my best guess. Find the popular intersections in the neighborhood, if that makes sense.

mr mow
04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
thanks. thats how i was going to approach it.

gqnine44
04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
What wording would you/do you use? I would think a simple, "Lawn Mowing" and the fone number would work best, rather than your company name and logo.

mr mow
04-22-2006, 02:05 PM
something like "professional lawn mowing"
" most lawns $30"
"###-####/jason"

dKoester
04-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't put a price on the sign.