PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do??

spray-head-dave
04-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I get a call, the fellow wants to water the other side of his house; The current system has 5 zones ( 2 lawn areas with 4 toro rotors and 2 shrub areas). The rotors are throwing about 1/2 of what they should; I checked the static presssure after the RPz and it's 45 psi. The current system is connected into a old hose bib; 1/2 pipe then increased to 3/4 where the contractor started the install. The other side of the house would need about 9 rotors spaced about 25 feet apart. Would a booster pump help? Should I avoid this addition? Install 3 zones to the 9 rotors (each about 2 gpm)? Would the booster increase the chance of water hammer? There is no regulator to increase. Mp rotators? thanks for any suggestions

Wet_Boots
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Forget the booster. First thing is to see if there is any way to plumb a larger line from the meter to the system.

Dirty Water
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I think all the booster pump would do is suck the house dry.

I just did a install were the only available water source was through a hose bib (gotta love it when they concrete in the meter box and have a concrete over the entire water line....and the house was built on a slab, so no crawlspace to tap in either).

I had 50 psi dynamic pressure, I designed the system to use 8-10 gpm or less. 5 PGP's on the front yard zone, using 4 #4 nozzles and one #5 nozzle.

What sort of Toro rotors are in this yard? (700's, 300's streamrotors???) check their nozzles against a chart and find out how many GPM they are using. Since they aren't working, this gives you a starting point on zone sizing the addition.

Dirty Water
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I should clarify that by telling you about the system I just put in I was attempting to show that it is possible to create a working system with very limited water.

Did I understand correctly that the existing system has a 3/4" main line?

I'd try to tap as close to the water source as possible for your addition, and use a 1" line.

PurpHaze
04-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Would a booster pump help?

Probably if all you want to do is create a very large mister. Booster pumps will boost the pressure, NOT the amount of available water.