PDA

View Full Version : I need some Power Raking imput.

Freddy_Kruger
04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I just started this spring, but got very busy fast with power raking my problem is this...
When I look at the job it does, sometimes it doesn't look so good, I wonder if I'm taking out too much real grass or sod. I have a brand new 22" bluebird and I usually have it set on level 2.
I noticed that I take out up to double what some LCO's take out of yards if I can actually make that assumption by counting bags on the drive way, other times even in the same yard it will look great. The front will look like crap when we're done but the back will look fantastic. If I set it to 1 it takes out next to nothing..

When we do a lawn that is in full bloom, nice big green blades it will look like we cut it almost. Gotten lots of compliments but also a few questions on digging up dirt on wet areas even by customers who rushed us to get there...

I guess I'm looking for assurance that I'm not fubaring up lawns.

PxPx
04-23-2006, 01:24 AM
I have heard that if there is any green in the yard, you should not do it. Reason being; it is putting stress on the new growth, pulling out new growth, and makes the lawn more susceptible to weeds and what not. That's just what I heard from the guy I work for. Could be right, could be wrong. We only did power raking for 2 days (it sucks!). After that, he no longer wanted to do because he hated it so much. I don't blame him though. He had plenty of other work to bring in the money and make a full day Mon. through Sat. Hopefully someone who has some knowledge on this will post soon, I am debating whether or not to do it when I start up next year.

Freddy_Kruger
04-23-2006, 11:24 AM
jeez, I still got another 30 or so power rakes to do some of the lawns are getting pretty green. I want teh money.

StBalor
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I would like to see some replies on this also. I just recently obtained a 22" bluebird. Someone had it in their garage for about 3 years and they could not get it to start. They gave it to me and after about an hour of messing with it i got it running.
This is an older model i am sure with a 5 hp motor. Motor seems to run wide open.
I tried it in my lawn and and it tore up everything, i mean it makes a mess. Kicks up alot of dirt and pulls up some grass and most of the weeds. Cannot seem to raise it any higher.
My question is, is it suppose to tear the dirt up also? seems to be digging into it about 1/8 of an inch.
but when i put it in the garage the tines do not seem to be hitting the floor.