PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Dump Trailer

FearThisDeere
04-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a 6x10 Cam dump trailer. I love it and it fits my needs perfectly. I use it to dump horse manure from my farm. Of course, occasionally there are rocks that get in there and scratch the bed of the trailer on the way down. The horse "waste" is very acidic and cause rust very easily. In the winder everything freezes in there as I only dump it every three days. Is there anything that can protect it and help it slide easier? I need something that is pretty slippery to get everything out. Is Linex the way to go or is there something else that is a little cheaper?

mcwlandscaping
04-22-2006, 12:01 AM
i don't think linex will make it slide easier, i think just the opposite....maybe spray some fluid film in there as that stuff doesnt freeze or has a low freezing point and it never dries.....

FearThisDeere
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah that is what I was thinking about the Linex. The guy at the shop said "oh yeah, it will slide fine." Yeah, when I tried to slide my keys across the sample the slid for miles! I am more concerned about protecting it and maybe helping it slide a little easier to top it off. Thanks for the advice!

oldrustycars
04-22-2006, 12:05 AM
anyplace that sells dumptrucks can set you up with a liner. they arent cheap. they make dumps last way longer, and even stand up to hot asphalt.

sheshovel
04-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Fluid Film..there's a guy on here "Deno" who will send you a free sample

G&S LANDSCAPING
04-22-2006, 04:18 PM
:) I used fluid film on my dump insert, Buy it by the gallon from WWW.GEMPLERS.COM. works great. also leave the bed up on your dump a little so rain and snow move out .Rust is a killer on equiptment.

Gilla Gorilla
04-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Look into a plastice polyethylene product called UHMW. I got a sheet of 4'X8' at a 1/4" thick shipped to my door for $201. I use it to make new skid pads for my proslides. The one down side to having this in your trailer is that if you plan to transport anything like a mower or small tractor then there is not much traction like on the metal floor. You will most likely have to strap or chain stuff down then.

I am actually looking into getting a 6'X10' by 1/2 thick sheet for my dump trailer because the metal floor is pretty rusted and I would not have a problem with stuff sliding out especially when I am backed up a driveway and dumping mulch or topsoil.

Take a look at this website and you can find a distributor in your neck of the woods to get a quote, plus the nice thing is you dont have to recoat it like a liquid and can pull it out rather easily if needed.

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/plastic-materials-polyethylene-59764803-1.html

NEUSWEDE
04-22-2006, 09:33 PM
http://www.farmtek.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&productId=65579&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&parent_category_rn=34351&top_category=&breadcrumb_trail=Hay+Tarps%2C+Covers%2C+Pond+Liners&breadcrumb_categoryIds=34351&isDoc=

FearThisDeere
04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into everything. One question about fluid film: is it a protectant or does it just allow the material to slide better? Do you have to keep re-applying it?

lwcmattlifter
04-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Get a poly liner. There are companies that make them for small dump beds I think PolyMax is one manufacturer. It'll be the first and last time you will ever have to mess with it.

Dano50
04-24-2006, 02:57 PM
In answer to your question regarding Fluid Film, it will serve as both a protectant and will also help the material to slide easily. What makes Fluid Film so unique is that it doesn't contain any solvents, so it will not evaporate or get gummy or sticky. It leaves a slick, non-drying film which lasts for extended periods of time. As far as re-applying, it really depends on what is coming out of the trailer. Just re-apply when things start sticking again.

FearThisDeere
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Great, thanks for the help. Fluid film seems like the way to go to start. All that I use the trailer for is horse manure and shavings and sometime bark mulch. Of course rocks get cought in there sometimes, but I don't use it for anything real heavy duty.

rick2752
04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Cant remember the exact name of the stuff, but our local Tractor Supply shop carrys a paint with graphite in it. It is used for gravity wagons to protect and help corn and stuff slide out of it. Just ask for a graphite paint.