PDA

View Full Version : Question on lawn installation

StBalor
04-22-2006, 01:40 AM
I am typically a mow and go guy. But this 1 customer asked if i could fix her yard. A very small yard, maybe 20x35. It is 1 half of a duplex. Anyway it will only be the front lawn. It is very compact and has some bare spots that need seeding. 1 of the spots is pretty large.
I am thinking, aerate the lawn really well, put down a top dressing and seed. Of course put down some sort of starter fert.
Does this sound ok? If not how would you do it?

StBalor
04-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Any input would be great.

salandscape
04-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Break up the soil in the bare spots a bit, aerating heavily may work, rototill if large enough, I assume you mean topdressing of compost and not loam. Cut it short first, depending on thatch you may want to dethatch/ rake it out, aerate, topdress seed, or if you have access to a slice seeder, cut short, dethatch, slice seed, topdress. This will insure good seed/ ground contact.

6'7 330
04-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Soil test ,Aerate,dethatch if soil probe shows 1/2 or so of a thatch layer.If the grass is actively growing cut it , Slit seed, put down starter fert.

Runner
04-23-2006, 11:17 AM
There's the program, right there. We generally don't aerate, though. Our renovation price for slitseeding is $70 per thousand, with a one thousand minimum.

daveyo
04-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Your signature is funny stbalor, I usually don't seed in the spring. I tend to get a lower germination rate due to an immature root system and the heat. I will tell my customer this and offer alternatives like sod. If they can't afford sod I'll do a soil test (local extension center $10 plus shipping). After that since it's such a small lot I would spray kill everything rake it out, grade and start with a new seed. Come fall time aerate but slit seed this time. I like to use 3-5lbs per thousand going in two different directions. Come spring go with a program that suits your soil test results. Now with all this said your going to have to control the weed population, I would look into getting lic for pesticides and the such, this will keep you ahead or right there with the competition. Oh yea water, water, water.

O'Donnell Landscape Design

cwlawley
04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
For something that small, I'd tell her to sod it. It'll end up costing the same after all the spot treatments you'll have to do for the seeded areas not coming up. Plus, instant gratification.

Tim Wright
04-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Bill,

Are you triple dipping?:)

Tim