PDA

View Full Version : you asked me to water, but you never told me how long

ant
04-22-2006, 01:18 PM
you asked me to water, but you never told me how long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as most of you know it's been dry here in the northeast.

i send a notice to all lawn clients with irrigation systems that they need to start watering.

few called me back and asked how long should i water? well i been telling them that 40 min. per zone on full sun areas for a start and we can go from here....

well you and i know that it depends on soil type,type of grass,shade-full sun,etc..etc...
but to explain this to a client is almost a waste..i know some will understand but most it is a waste of time. most clients don't even know how to set there timer.

whats your rule of thumb on watering?

ant

Dirty Water
04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
You can't just say "40 minutes" per zone because different zones have different precipitation rates.

For example, a rotor zone has a slower precipation rate than a sprayhead zone. 40 minutes on sprayheads would absolutely swamp out most area's.

On the same note, a system with low precipation heads like MPRotators might need an hour per zone to put down enough water.

I don't know why a customer wouldn't have a program already in their timer from the previous seasion.

sheshovel
04-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Boy 40 minutes is alot of time..I would start with 15 to 20 min max

Dirty Water
04-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Boy 40 minutes is alot of time..I would start with 15 to 20 min max

We do 30-40 minutes on rotor zones out here in the well-draining rocky part of town.

In the heavy clay area's we do 20 minutes rotors and 8 minutes for sprays. And sometimes we have to come back and tweak it a little more.

scottt
04-22-2006, 02:25 PM
ant,
This is totally off topic, but Casting Crowns is awesome. I saw them live on valentine's day. For those who don't know, the line at the bottom of his posts is from their music.

DarkLotus
04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
If you installed the Weathermatic Smartline Timer with the WeatherMonitor, it would adjust the minutes all by itself. I have installed a few of these and have not experienced a problem.

That timer has a whole slew of watering options. It saves the homeowner money on their water bill and saves contractors visits on adjusting the times.

Check it out!

Wet_Boots
04-22-2006, 02:57 PM
How would any timer know about the soil conditions, or southern exposures, or shady areas?

"I don't know why a customer wouldn't have a program already in their timer from the previous seasion." ~ because some nimrod decided to save a nickel and unplugged the timer, and the program went bye-bye after the backup battery ran down.

Dirty Water
04-22-2006, 03:01 PM
How would any timer know about the soil conditions, or southern exposures, or shady areas?

The jury is still out in my mind about smart controllers. Especially anything with the Weathermatic seal on it.

"I don't know why a customer wouldn't have a program already in their timer from the previous seasion." ~ because some nimrod decided to save a nickel and unplugged the timer, and the program went bye-bye after the backup battery ran down.

I haven't ran into that yet, most people don't even touch theirs. Though i've ran into a few were the homeowner got creative, and had some really wacky programs on it (all 3 programs used, multiple start times, etc...in ways that made no sense at all)

Wet_Boots
04-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I get just enough unplugged controllers to wish the wall-warts still had the captive screw that let you 'bolt' it to the outlet, and defeat a casual attempt to unplug it.

When I see a controller reprogrammed so that the system is almost constantly on, I assume the homeowner made the mistake of programming it like a VCR, where you would designate a start time for each program you're recording.

There's a special glassy look they get in their eyes when you carefully explain that "Start Time 2" is not when zone 2 starts watering.

Harry0
04-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I get just enough unplugged controllers to wish the wall-warts still had the captive screw that let you 'bolt' it to the outlet, and defeat a casual attempt to unplug it.

When I see a controller reprogrammed so that the system is almost constantly on, I assume the homeowner made the mistake of programming it like a VCR, where you would designate a start time for each program you're recording.

There's a special glassy look they get in their eyes when you carefully explain that "Start Time 2" is not when zone 2 starts watering.

Well said
I just came across a Hunter pro-c controller that I could not read the lcd screen.
I had a new pro -c on the truck so I changed panels. It was under warranty so I am getting a replacement. But when I told my supplier, (John Deere)he said I should be unplugging all of my controllers for the winter to protect against power surge.
I like checking the controllers programming and seeing the year 2006. Saves tons of time. I check the program,change the battery and head on down the road. I do not come across this too much so I will continue to leave them plugged in.
it would be a pita to kill the power to every hard wired controller.
Harry

sheshovel
04-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I agree here you have to plug into a surge protector to keep from screwing up the timers or unplug in winter.We have lost power at least 6 times this winter and the longest was for 14 hours.I tend to unplug because if my customers see a few nice days in winter they try to water and they screw everything up by attempting to reschedual the timers.Mine also get really strange looks on their faces when you try to explain the diff between
"Start Time"and"Run Time" and the "Start Time 2"
and "Start Time Three" really blows their minds.
It's like it's too simple to be understood.They read the instructions and then they are lost in the instruction O-Zone forever and ever.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't get the "unplug in the winter" advisory. Are they going to advise everyone to unplug their controllers when there are thunderstorms in the area? Either the controller does have surge protection or it doesn't. What surge protection it does have doesn't fly south for the winter. I'm not unplugging anything, and if I were to get grief from the manufacturers, I'd go back to electromechanical controllers in an instant.

Green Sweep
04-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a note on all of the blowout invoices: "PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR CONTROLLER OVER THE WINTER." I'm sure that you Rain Bird users have had to replace the 2 Lithium batteries in the ESP4MI at some point. What a P.I.T.A.! I mark up the batteries sooo much just because thay are difficult to get to. That's my main gripe about that controller.
As for watering times - GENERALLY (for spring) 3 days per week - 20 to 25 min per rotor zone, 10 to 15 min per spray zone. Of course, that is modified depending on the listed factors.

Rob

PurpHaze
04-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't get the "unplug in the winter" advisory. Are they going to advise everyone to unplug their controllers when there are thunderstorms in the area? Either the controller does have surge protection or it doesn't. What surge protection it does have doesn't fly south for the winter. I'm not unplugging anything, and if I were to get grief from the manufacturers, I'd go back to electromechanical controllers in an instant.

Same here. Ours stay on all winter and we change out all the batteries each spring when we turn them on. Occasionally I get email notices from the Maint. Dept. that they will be having electrical work done on certain weekends and that controllers should be turned off. I don't turn them off and they weather the surges and outages just fine.