PDA

View Full Version : [B][/B]How about some help....please?

Drafto
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I have to do an estimate for a patio for these people, they want steps from both doors. I have some obvious mechanical issues that maybe I can overcome, but I am looking to go a little more outside the box. I have heard maybe some custom wrought iron steps might look nice, I was thinking maybe someone makes a form I could veneer and put vents in or access under? I don't know, but I am looking for suggestions. I have 2 estimates in this developement and I know if I address these issues in a creative way I will be selling some more jobs.

Thanks,
Dan

ma5tr
04-22-2006, 05:57 PM
is a deck out of the question??? I'm guessing they dont want to give up the little amount of light those windows are bringing into the basement. But I think it would be the nicest from the outside.

For your wrought iron idea. I've done work on a house where the wrought iron guy built a stair case with beautiful hand forged railings, the treads had t one piece of strapping going across the step, he then got us to cut a piece of flagstone to that size, face it and then he bolted it on top of the strapping from the underside, leaving fastners out of view. So all you could see was the stone face and the strapping was no longer visible. We used a 2" piece of flagstone that was roughly 14". the staircase was spiraled so all the pieces were cut on angles. I'll see if i can find the pictures to post them.

Hope it helped

cgland
04-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I think a nice set of deck steps w/ alluminum or fancy iron (sp) balustrades capped w/ a wooden handrail would be nice. You just have to be careful with wrought iron. If it rusts it may stain your pavers. I think the wood/metal combo would work out nicely and not look so much like a fire escape. Allow me to hijack!

Chris

Drafto
04-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I think a nice set of deck steps w/ alluminum or fancy iron (sp) balustrades capped w/ a wooden handrail would be nice. You just have to be careful with wrought iron. If it rusts it may stain your pavers. I think the wood/metal combo would work out nicely and not look so much like a fire escape. Allow me to hijack!

Chris

Nice Chris........really nice. Did you do those steps? I might have you PM me a round about price. A couple 6'x6' landings and those steps with those rails are a great idea. Anymore pics? I know you are dying to post them!

Dan

Mike33
04-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Got to wonder why the contactor who built the house didnt take care of this issue on construction? I know that does not answer your question, but the wooden deck with steps looks real nice.

mike

Drafto
04-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Got to wonder why the contactor who built the house didnt take care of this issue on construction? I know that does not answer your question, but the wooden deck with steps looks real nice.

mike

It is on every house in the development, every single one.

mrusk
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Why not brick the windows up and be done with it?

Windows for basements are silly. Easy place for water or a burglar to get in.

mbella
04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
I have to do an estimate for a patio for these people, they want steps from both doors. I have some obvious mechanical issues that maybe I can overcome, but I am looking to go a little more outside the box. I have heard maybe some custom wrought iron steps might look nice, I was thinking maybe someone makes a form I could veneer and put vents in or access under? I don't know, but I am looking for suggestions. I have 2 estimates in this developement and I know if I address these issues in a creative way I will be selling some more jobs.

Thanks,
Dan

What size patio are we talking about? How much of the back of the house do they want to cover?

jreiff
04-23-2006, 08:03 PM
If the windows are for bedrooms, and you cover them up or brick them in, then you cannot classify that room as a bedroom.

Pavers Plus
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
those basement windows will not provide adequate escape, thus will not be approved for rooms in the basement. You would need larger escape size window with deep wells to allow rooms in the basement.

It is hard to see from the pictures, but looks like 2 vents are bathroom vents and one vent is possibly a dyer vent.

I've personally installed window wells with custom grates above. Looked really good and still allowed light in.

Yes, there are ways "outside the box" to build a raised patio in these situations. Will cost a bit of money though. Probably best to build a deck in this situation. You can still use concrete slabs on the deck if you want a more natural look. You can place them right on the joists......

Also, what about using pedestal supports like in a roof top application. That's outside the box...... http://www.stonedeckwest.com/installations.html

http://www.stonedeckwest.com/roofdeck.pdf