PDA

View Full Version : Bag or Mulch?

FIVE-0LAWNS
04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Is it worth bagging, or can you get as good of a cut/look by simply mulching?
I'll be using a Toro 48" zero turn with a 23hp Kaw.

salandscape
04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
All depends, a double cut will look just as good, I use a combination of bagging next to the house/ beds if I can't shoot the grass withouting hitting either, then drop the bagger for the rest. In a thick lawn a double cut may be faster than bagging and running to the truck every few minutes, and then you still have to dump later.

mcwlandscaping
04-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Mulch---better for everyone! unless grass is really long

Fvstringpicker
04-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a Toro 44 Z with mulching kit. All I ever get is compliments on the cut.

hillndale
04-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Mulch---better for everyone! unless grass is really long

Hey I'm up here in Maine, and when grass starts growing, it's wicked lush and thick. You are somewhat in the same climate as I, but still farther south I guess. When do you get to mulch down your way? What do you use for blades? Thanks

hillndale

jmurphy
04-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Definatly mulch.

mcwlandscaping
04-22-2006, 11:06 PM
hillndale.... i mulch from the beginning, even if i have to double cut a few of them, i hate bagging since the grass gobbler is so freakin heavy and don't have room on my trailer for mulch, and discharging wouldn't work on my yards as i dont' have an ocdc yet. i use eXmark mulch blades with thier mulch kit on my mower. seems to work pretty well,

hillndale
04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
hillndale.... i mulch from the beginning, even if i have to double cut a few of them, i hate bagging since the grass gobbler is so freakin heavy and don't have room on my trailer for mulch, and discharging wouldn't work on my yards as i dont' have an ocdc yet. i use eXmark mulch blades with thier mulch kit on my mower. seems to work pretty well,

Hey thanks. I think you are that much farther south, whereas it gets hotter sooner there than here. I don't see many folks mulching here 'till later in the season. I'm looking at a used Exmark 36" TTHP that already has a mulch kit on it and wonderring how it would benefit me. I bag with my rider. BTW, the "accelerator" grass catchers are a lot lighter than the "grass gobbler". How's that velke x2 work for you? Does it get in your way when flipped up attached to the machine?
Thanks for your reply.

hillndale:headphones:

mcwlandscaping
04-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey thanks. I think you are that much farther south, whereas it gets hotter sooner there than here. I don't see many folks mulching here 'till later in the season. I'm looking at a used Exmark 36" TTHP that already has a mulch kit on it and wonderring how it would benefit me. I bag with my rider. BTW, the "accelerator" grass catchers are a lot lighter than the "grass gobbler". How's that velke x2 work for you? Does it get in your way when flipped up attached to the machine?
Thanks for your reply.

hillndale:headphones:
I don't flip up the X2, i am able to ride it all the time and when i am not riding it on a spot in the lawn i am able to step to the side of it and walk next to it. On lawns where i am not using the velke, i just take it off, because when its hung up, it does get in the way. the velke x2 is great,though, very comfortable and balanced and you can corner very fast and still have a firm grip on the thing.

I wish i had gotten on LS a week or two earlier as i would have found out about accelerator catchers before i ordered my gobbler with my mower, oh well.

You will love that TTHP! They are nice, i wish i had the money for one but, my metro is doing my fine,

not a problem answering your questions hillndale

mike

hillndale
04-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't flip up the X2, i am able to ride it all the time and when i am not riding it on a spot in the lawn i am able to step to the side of it and walk next to it. On lawns where i am not using the velke, i just take it off, because when its hung up, it does get in the way. the velke x2 is great,though, very comfortable and balanced and you can corner very fast and still have a firm grip on the thing.

I wish i had gotten on LS a week or two earlier as i would have found out about accelerator catchers before i ordered my gobbler with my mower, oh well.

You will love that TTHP! They are nice, i wish i had the money for one but, my metro is doing my fine,

not a problem answering your questions hillndale

mike

Thanks Mike! Very insightful.

H:headphones:

K.Carothers
04-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Mulch only.

I would leave this business if I had to bag.

kc

mike lane lawn care
04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
last year was my first and last year using a bagger, it costs more in fuel to bag, takes more time, and then you have to deal with the clippings. this year i will eaither mulch or side discharge