PDA

View Full Version : Will a piggyback forklift leave bad ruts?

General Landscaping
04-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I have sod to go into a back yard... will the piggyback forklift leave bad ruts in a yard?

Itsgottobegreen
04-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Depends. The smaller ones no, the bigger ones sometimes. All really depends on how wet the ground is at the time.

AGLA
04-22-2006, 11:54 PM
These are the least damaging of anything that I have seen move a pallet of sod because of the wide turf tires and the way it turns.

MorganParadise
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
If the ground is hard it wont be a big deal you can just rake over it. If the ground has soft spots in it the front tires are not a big deal its the two small back tires that will dig in. If its wet forget it the lifts dont pull worth a dang when its wet. I drive a piggyback everyday delivering sod.

Idealtim
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
There are some variables here...
1 size of lift
2 size of tires
3 size of load
4 hardness of ground.
You figure it.

AWJ Services
04-23-2006, 09:52 PM
They will leave some depressions in sandy soil but if the operator does any kind of abrupt manuever it will damage the yard bad.
I use my tractor whenever a lawn has to be crossed unless it has rained recently .Then we use the "Mexican Dumptruck".:)

General Landscaping
04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear on one thing... the front yard is well established, healthy St.Augustine; not bare dirt.
Kinda tricky to rake out ruts with a stand of turf on it:)

Idealtim
Here your variables...
1 The size that hangs off a semi trailer and delivers sod.
2 The ones that come on forklifts that hang off the back of semi trailers and deliver sod
3 A full pallet of sod
4 Sandy, with established St.Augustine,never aerated.

What is your calculated deflection for two passes with the equipment mentioned above?

sheshovel
04-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Yup sure will!

MorganParadise
04-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes it will damage the grass in some fashion. If marks are going to be a problem you will need to move it in with a wheel barrow