PDA

View Full Version : What are my options?

PLM-1
04-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I have been asked to maintain an island for a subdivision. The only thing that I'm not sure about is a small irrigation problem they are having. They have some pots that they would like drip line ran to. The island has RB 1800s. It was always my understanding that drip lines needed to be ran on a seperate zone, correct or not? These 1800s have a plug on the side of the housing that I haven't seen before on other systems. I only need to water 2 pots! Does it have to be as difficult as installing another zone? I know you can convert the entire zone to drip using the 1800s and the drip kit, but come on...2 pots!

Dirty Water
04-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I have been asked to maintain an island for a subdivision. The only thing that I'm not sure about is a small irrigation problem they are having. They have some pots that they would like drip line ran to. The island has RB 1800s. It was always my understanding that drip lines needed to be ran on a seperate zone, correct or not? These 1800s have a plug on the side of the housing that I haven't seen before on other systems. I only need to water 2 pots! Does it have to be as difficult as installing another zone? I know you can convert the entire zone to drip using the 1800s and the drip kit, but come on...2 pots!

The line you see on the side of the 1800 is an optional feed line that is on the 1806 and larger heads, so you don't kink your swing joint.

The problem is that precipiation rate of the 1800's and drip is drasticly different, your pots would not get adequate watering.

However, it can be easy to add a second zone if the mainline was ran into the island.

Wet_Boots
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
You could also use some VAN nozzles to throw water into the pots. You can also run drip lines from the 1800 retrofit kit.

Dirty Water
04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I suppose the best way to do it would be to run drip into the pots with the highest flowing emitter (or maybe a couple) you can find...If you can get something in the range of 4 gph and the 1800 zone is running for 15 minutes then your going to get 1 gallon of water into that pot....

Wet_Boots
04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
You can get 24gph emitters from Rainbird. (and smaller, obviously)

Dirty Water
04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
You can get 24gph emitters from Rainbird. (and smaller, obviously)

I didn't know they came that large. We use 1/2, 1 gph and 2 gph emitters exclusively for new installs.

That and 1/4" emitter tubing.

Wet_Boots
04-23-2006, 07:33 PM
You almost never see the larger stuff, but it would make for a match between emitters and regular lawn watering, if all you had was one zone to work with.

PurpHaze
04-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Not knowing exactly what this "island" looks like and the type of pots on/in it he needs to make sure that the pots will contain a lot of water in a very short time. :laugh: