PDA

View Full Version : A dollar a Minute??? You think???

Ocean Side
04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Is the 1 Dollar a minute, rule of hand still holding up as gas goes up? and do you mow a little slow the 1st time around when determining cost?

NEPSJay
04-23-2006, 08:51 PM
the dollar/minute rule, is, well ridicilous

FIVE-0LAWNS
04-23-2006, 09:20 PM
bwade, is your trailer a true 6' wide or is it 6 1/2'? What kind is it? Off topic I know but thanks.

grassmasterdawn
04-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Let me know where people are willing to pay $1 a minute for my time and I'll move there.

Freddy_Kruger
04-24-2006, 12:51 AM
I made $60 bucks an hour if I got two guys working with me power raking.

Edit: $60 canadian:(

dirtbomb
04-24-2006, 01:36 AM
If you are not making $50.00 an hour per man hour ,you should.. With all the cost of being a legal business any less equals failure sooner or later..
Most gardeners /mower guys/landscapers are not business minded..They just equal or cut current prices never checking what it will take to stay afloat..
Here is a place to start from..$50..00per hour..30%mark ups at least on everything ..300%mark ups on trees and shrubs.$70-$85 per yard mulch.$100.00per ton stone spreading..Dumping $15-$30 per yard.If you go much lower then this you should just go out and get a decent job with out all the BS..

northernsvc's
04-24-2006, 01:56 AM
i have a couple clients in downtown chicago, not much work but just a pain to park bigger trucks around chicago, im charging 75.00 hour.

Runner
04-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah,...go out and buy a brand new 48" walk behind for 4 grand, and a new trimmer, and make a dollar a minute. Or, you can go out and buy a 52" walk behind and make a dollar a minute. Or, you can go out and buy a 52" Lazer, and make a dollar a minute. But, HEY, I have an idea,.....Let's go out and purchase a 60" Lazer for $10,000 and make a dollar a minute! Give me a break! Hey, I want to go into the hauling business. I heard I can make $200 for crosstown loads. Should I buy a GMC tandem axle dump? Or should I buy a half ton pickup? Because I am told this is how much I should be making....

northernsvc's
04-24-2006, 02:07 AM
case in point - youneed to know how much it casts to run your business. what works for us, may notwork for you, what may work on the east coast, not the same on west coast....

topsites
04-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Let me know where people are willing to pay $1 a minute for my time and I'll move there.

There's more to it than that...
I bid and got a 1.5 acre lot for 85 dollars, now that's the price of this lot whether it takes me 3 days or 2 minutes to cut it, 85 dollars is the price and it is now up to me to make do in enough time to get'r done.

As things stand, with my '05 48" 15hp Kohler T-bar Toro I can cut this bad boy in just under an hour, then weedeating takes another 15-20 (and you got to WALK hard because it's a big lot) then hurry and blow some stuff down (if you cut right, you don't have much to blow off), and spray some weed killer in the stuff around the house: 1 hour, 25 minutes the last time: 85 minutes, 85 dollars.

Now I got 5 years into this, I've ran nothing but 48" 30197's (my mower's model number) since my 2nd year, it is my favorite mower and it is light and fast and I'm closing in on having cut 3 thousand yards to date (over 2k with this machine alone, I have 2 of them, the other's a '98 model). It is all I use because the more you do something, the better you get, so it takes Time (experience) and the right equipment.

I mean, it's not as easy as it looks. Mistakes happen at top speed, I've flown over the handlebars enough times (4 or 6, maybe 7) where nowadays it's all just so much routine anymore. The weedeater, I can twirl that thing in the air with my fingers like a baton... And yes, it can hurt bad if it slips.

It took years, it didn't happen overnight... A lot of times I push myself hard to get the extreme workout I need to get stronger & better.
To me it's a sport, an olympic workout in the sense that it's not just fast, but precise.
Because if it took me longer, I wouldn't be raking in no dollar a minute...
My first year I was lucky to see $30 / hour, sometimes I got as little as 15-20 / hour, that's just how it goes, it gets better with time.

Part of the secret is being able to do twice today what you could do a year ago in the same time... sorta..
And yes, I can outrun Z's with my Wb on anything under an acre, even on large lots the Z guys need the experience to beat me.

Soupy
04-24-2006, 02:21 AM
I think when the $1 a minute started getting kicked around here it was from guys using 60" ZTR's. You should be able to do it with 52" ZTR's now. You wouldn't do larger lots with a walk behind at a $1 a minute, but you could probably come close on smaller lots that get a minimum charge. For example I can cut $30 lawns in under 30 minutes, some take 15-20 minutes. That is above $1 a minute, but a 45 - 90 minute lawn is usually right on $1 a minute. This does not cover travel time, maintenance time, this is actual time on property. I use 52" ZTR and do it, but the jobs are harder to come by. I don't think anyone that had crews running could do it mowing in most areas.

JCee
04-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Topsites,

I respect your posts and enjoy reading most of them....but outrunning a z on a walk behind I have to doubt a little bit. I know I have seen you write this on a bunch of other posts, but I just dont see the logic in that. I have only had my z for about 2 month's and I am pretty damn quick on the thing.

Where are you making up the time on the ZTR? In the turns? I would say only if you have some sort of special method. In the straights there is no way you beat a z, so tell me how do you do it?

TLS
04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
$1 per minute number SHOULD be figured from the time you leave your house until the time you return home later that day.

Afterall, windshield time is your biggest waste.

Ocean Side
04-24-2006, 10:22 AM
case in point - youneed to know how much it casts to run your business. what works for us, may notwork for you, what may work on the east coast, not the same on west coast....

Exactly what I was getting at, as I see the $1 a minute keep popping up forum after forum, everytime that I see a new member ask a question about what to charge. You need to know what your costs are to make a profit and make a business a business and not a hobby! What does it cost you to make a profit!

Prestige-Lawncare
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
If you talk to an accountant, they are going to tell you that you need to be making right around $75. an hour. That is in this area anyway ... which is Indianapolis. Many places will be more ... many will be less.

As some have posted here already ... your hourly rate may not reflect $75. an hour ... but it's up to you as a business owner to make it work out that way. There are some jobs that will not pay near that much, and there are others that will pay more. Those, along with any "extras" that you can do will make it average out.

This business, like any other business, is what we can make of it. Just because you can't make it work out doesn't mean you won't make a living at it, or that you are a poor business person. It's all in what we want, where we want to be ... and what makes us happy. After all ... being happy in what you do, and in your own personal life is what it's all about ... period!

Have a GREAT day!

daveintoledo
04-24-2006, 01:05 PM
thats what i charge and thats what i get.... averages out to a buck a minute, and im very happy with that....... at the end of the year , i show profit, after paying my salary ....... so im growning and it works for me just fine...

BCSteel
04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
There's more to it than that...
I bid and got a 1.5 acre lot for 85 dollars, now that's the price of this lot whether it takes me 3 days or 2 minutes to cut it, 85 dollars is the price and it is now up to me to make do in enough time to get'r done.

As things stand, with my '05 48" 15hp Kohler T-bar Toro I can cut this bad boy in just under an hour, then weedeating takes another 15-20 (and you got to WALK hard because it's a big lot) then hurry and blow some stuff down (if you cut right, you don't have much to blow off), and spray some weed killer in the stuff around the house: 1 hour, 25 minutes the last time: 85 minutes, 85 dollars.

Now I got 5 years into this, I've ran nothing but 48" 30197's (my mower's model number) since my 2nd year, it is my favorite mower and it is light and fast and I'm closing in on having cut 3 thousand yards to date (over 2k with this machine alone, I have 2 of them, the other's a '98 model). It is all I use because the more you do something, the better you get, so it takes Time (experience) and the right equipment.

I mean, it's not as easy as it looks. Mistakes happen at top speed, I've flown over the handlebars enough times (4 or 6, maybe 7) where nowadays it's all just so much routine anymore. The weedeater, I can twirl that thing in the air with my fingers like a baton... And yes, it can hurt bad if it slips.

It took years, it didn't happen overnight... A lot of times I push myself hard to get the extreme workout I need to get stronger & better.
To me it's a sport, an olympic workout in the sense that it's not just fast, but precise.
Because if it took me longer, I wouldn't be raking in no dollar a minute...
My first year I was lucky to see $30 / hour, sometimes I got as little as 15-20 / hour, that's just how it goes, it gets better with time.

Part of the secret is being able to do twice today what you could do a year ago in the same time... sorta..
And yes, I can outrun Z's with my Wb on anything under an acre, even on large lots the Z guys need the experience to beat me.

So if this is all true, how come you cant believe that solo operators can make 100k/year? A buck a minute with your "olympic workout" work ethic should easily put you at over 100k.