PDA

View Full Version : raised patio and house vents

SUMMERSET
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a raised patio job I will be doing soon. The raised patio will come up to the top part of the foundation (12" high) The problem I have is that the house has 3 foundation vents where the patio will be. How do I work around these without covering up.
My first thought was to build a wall around the vents so that this space would be open and lay my pavers to this wall. Then install pavers inside the openings to the bottom of the vent. The problem I see with this is that water would sit inside of this hole.
Second thought would be to put a drain in the hole and send it out somewhere.

What do most of you do when you build raised patios against a house and the house vents will be covered?

Pavers Plus
04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
what type of house vents are they? Dryer vents? Bathroom vents? Grated vents for circulation? It's always best to move any vent if possible.

Dryer vents are the most dangerous. I'd prefer to have the homeowner move them if possible. If not, it is possible to extend them, but ge carefull what type of tube you extend with and do not, I repeat, DO NOT put a 90 degree turn on a dryer vent. You can trap lint in the wrong type of pipe as well as a 90 degree turn so far from the dryer. This can cause a fire at some point.

Bathroom vents are a little easier to cope with. Depending on the size / location, you can extend the vent, move the vent if possible, build wells around the vent and provide drainage in the well.

DVS Hardscaper
04-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Speakin of dryer vents -

dryer in the 2 counties that we serve DO have to conform to local building codes.

See, dryer vents can NOT exceed a certain length.

And more than likely, the builder has already reached the max length.

Thus, if a scaper / patio dude extends that vent - you then are puttingg the dwelling in harms way (risk of fire).

So, bottom line - dont alter people's homes.

JRG12
04-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds like the house does not have a basement and the vents are to keep air circulating in the crawlspace.

Look into relocating these vents to either side of the new patio or possibly raising them up above the patio grade. Make sure you are not throwing off the airflow under the home.

As always, make sure to check with local building codes.

Good luck!