PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Gards

Lynch Landscaping
04-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Just wondering if you keep on or take your trimmer Gards?

jmurphy
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I keep mine on but thats just me.

mcwlandscaping
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
mine stay on, no reason for me to take them off

lawnspecialties
04-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I've seen some with them off and can't imagine why. Never considered taking mine off.

Bustus
04-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I've seen some with them off and can't imagine why. Never considered taking mine off.I agree. I don't see any advantages. Certainly nothing worth risking injury.

OGM_Mows
04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I take mine off for a couple reasons. The first is that it allows a longer string length increasing efficiency. It also slows down the revolution of the trimmer head reducing scalping, etc. It means that you can use the backside of the string to trim too. So you can trim around rocks without having to move. I occasionally get hit with stuff, but very rarely since the head is spinning so much slower.

My dealer says that it burns out the clutch faster, but my clutch is going on 10 years now.

greenscapes,inc.
04-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I take mine off. Less weight, easier to maneuver, and, you can let out a lot more line. I also always asked myself why anyone would take off the trimmer guard but after trying it I would never go back.

northernsvc's
04-24-2006, 01:10 AM
i leave mine on, i have employees don't want to be sued for negligence of personal safety, manufacturer tells me to leave it on for safety it stays on.

Kate Butler
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
I take mine off because we do a LOT of work on steep banks and the guards are REALLY in the way on any slope.

newz7151
04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Keep them on.

Do you go around taking the seat belts and front and rear bumpers off of your work trucks too?

ed2hess
04-24-2006, 09:23 PM
It is not possible to give a good straight edge without removing the guard and the weight is major. Also with the bigger mowers we want to stay farther away from fences and this allows us to cut a wide path along fence without stopping.

dcondon
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I've seen some with them off and can't imagine why. Never considered taking mine off.

I'm with you!!!:waving:

J&R Landscaping
04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
My Shindaiwa has the guard off but the echo has it on. I don't see any advantage of 1 over the other.

jsf343
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Keep them on.

Do you go around taking the seat belts and front and rear bumpers off of your work trucks too?

hahahahahaha, I agree. I leave mine on. I can now understand at least why some take them off, but still not worth the possibility of injury or damage to someones house or windows.

lawnmaniac883
04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I have and will always leave them on. You gain NOTHING by taking off the guard. If you need to run a longer length of line then you should be using a push mower instead of a TRIMMER. More wear and tear than it is worth on you and the trimmer.

K&L Landscaping
04-27-2006, 08:06 PM
If I don't take them off when I buy a new trimmer my guy's will. Personally, I like them off because it enhances visibility and makes them more maneuverable.

zim bob the landscaper
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
same and i also edge with my trimmer so i keep it on. i still get hit by rocks but o well i think id be hit 10x more without it.

Lux Lawn
04-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I keep mine on,they are there for a reason.

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I leave mine on, no reason for me to take them off.

topsites
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I take mine off. Less weight, easier to maneuver, and, you can let out a lot more line. I also always asked myself why anyone would take off the trimmer guard but after trying it I would never go back.

Me, too... I left it on for some time because it stops debris, right?
Maybe for you guys it does, but I find it as effective at doing this as those silly little mud flaps on dirt bikes supposedly keep dirt and water off your tail.

So the last reason I needed to take mine off is the guard doesn't really stop debris from flying in my face. It might stop some, but I can accomplish more by concentrating on string direction and making sure to aim it correctly.

It doesn't cut my string.

I can let out a long line which reduces rpm's because the FS-100 will hurt you at WOT but more importantly, I can now clear a swath almost as wide as a 21" pushmower, especially dandy for those lengthy curbs that are just about that wide (like the devil strips). One swath, one way, it's done.

As for reducing rpm's, I can do that just as easily by letting off the throttle as this conserves fuel but still, I can let out some STRING and not have to tap it again for a long time, this comes in handy in places where there is nowhere to tap the head. As for how long a string? I use .080, you have no idea how much more RPM's I get with the lighter string, I can let out about a foot either side... Makes the 4-cycler sound like a diesel, lol.

As for this wearing out the clutch, that is bs!
But I do think it may reduce engine compression faster due to the increased load, I try not to do it a lot.

Dagwin
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Always take them off. It's the only way to go. I would never leave them on.

fulano
05-18-2006, 08:49 PM
What happens when one of your workers get hurt because of the trimmer w/o a guard and decides to sue the owner of the lco? Is that when the insurance kicks in?

Oxmow
05-18-2006, 11:26 PM
have taken them off for about 16 yrs. Never had an injury from flying debris. Well i did when wearing shorts. Wear lightweight pants now and that stopped. I run my deck shutes tied back as well. bet thats a good one for another string!

Steppenwolf
05-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Keep the guard on but cut off the first couple of inches where the string hits which allows longer string,other than that I don't have a reason to take it off.

stihlgirl
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
At least with the guard on rocks only fly in one direction when edging. I also feel a lot better working around cars because I have more control. The other guys already get frapped by rocks sometimes when I buzz by, and I think they would kill me if I took the guard off.

JJLandscapes
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
What happens when one of your workers get hurt because of the trimmer w/o a guard and decides to sue the owner of the lco? Is that when the insurance kicks in?

i keep the guards on but i hate to break it to you but the guard does nothing for bystanders i get hit with rocks at every single house while my partner is using the wacker and windows still get broken with it on

So the chances of a severe injury with the guard are 1 in 1 million and without the guard is 1 in 1 million and one

topsites
06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
i keep the guards on but i hate to break it to you but the guard does nothing for bystanders i get hit with rocks at every single house while my partner is using the wacker and windows still get broken with it on

So the chances of a severe injury with the guard are 1 in 1 million and without the guard is 1 in 1 million and one

I agree 100%, this is actually the MAIN reason I took that stupid POS off.
Don't think I just took it off to be like a cool guy, I ran with it ON long enough to realize rocks were hitting me in the face and as a bonus, it would cut my string when it got a little too long, hence wasting money.

It's no better than those flimsy mudflaps on a dirt bike that don't keep no mud off your back.

The best I can recommend is learn the different angles of the head so when the string hits crap, you can control and make debris fly the way you want it to. Yes, see the string turns in a circle, so depending on which part of the string hits the dirt, that's the way it flies. Seriously, on a counter-clock string, if you hit dirt with the RIGHT side, it flies away from you and vice versa.
I got so good at angling the head, I can use the trimmer as a blower in a pinch, the string creates a force of air that clears most light debris, but again you have to know how to aim it, head angle is key and it is based on the rotation.
This takes time and practice but I can about aim that stuff between my legs nowadays thou as a rule: Always aim the debris TO me, if damage is to happen then I'll take it long before the window or a bystander will. That, and keep your throttle down! Contrary to the dealer's recommendation, a LOW throttle just high enough to get the job done not only hurts me less but I also believe the machines last longer this way, after all, nobody said it was in the dealer's best interest to sell me an Echo that ran for 3 years like that. Last but not least, it eats a LOT less fuel, a tank on a trimmer lasts me most of the day, but on full throttle a tank hardly lasts an hour.

Only thing I've broken in all these years is a few things I hit with the string itself, no broken stuff due to debris, ever.

Critical Care
06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Regardless of whether you think that the guard seems to protect you or not, the insurance companies probably think so, and so if something ever happened to you, an employee, or someone else, then you could be SOL if they found out that you had taken the guard off.

My Honda 4-stroke has a guard on it, but my Echo with the Edgit attachment obviously doesn’t. When edging with the Echo/Edgit combo I really get hit a lot with tiny stuff, and yeah, it stings.

fulano
06-14-2006, 12:55 AM

If injury is almost non-existant why do manufacturers put guards on trimmers? :hammerhead:
Why does the manual state not to defeat safety devices?:hammerhead:

Next time you are at your insurance agents office tell him you have removed safety devices on all your trimmers and see what he has to say about that.

CutApproved
06-14-2006, 03:25 PM
For all you guys that take them off,, "Less weight, easier to maneuver, and, you can let out a lot more line"
Your forgetting that although you may have a longer line,, your also asking the motor to work harder. Ask any mechanic and he'll tell you the same thing. It puts too much stress on the motor.. Thats why the guards are designed to cut the excess line. It takes more power to spin the head with all that line on it.
I love this quote "It also slows down the revolution of the trimmer head reducing scalping, etc"
Yeah and why does it slow it down.. cuz your motor is working too hard.

stuffdeer
06-14-2006, 09:54 PM
How do you cut the string w/o the guard?

mcwlandscaping
06-15-2006, 02:26 PM
thats the thing, you don't, it wears away as you use it w/o the guard.

stuffdeer
06-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Mike, Have you taken the guard off yourS?

One of Three
06-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Keep them on.

I don't go that far, but I do speed and roll through stop signs sometimes, so I figure taking off the guard is the equivalent of that.

J&R Landscaping
06-16-2006, 09:24 PM
How do you cut the string w/o the guard?

Get close to a chain-link fence! :cool2:

Jay74
06-16-2006, 11:32 PM
This poll should have been called Scrub or not a Scrub. If you leave the guard on you have to be a scrub with no experience or you hardly ever do any trimming. Enough said.

Jason

jmurphy
06-17-2006, 10:46 PM
This poll should have been called Scrub or not a Scrub. If you leave the guard on you have to be a scrub with no experience or you hardly ever do any trimming. Enough said.

Jason
LOLOLOLOLOLOL:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

cooltype
06-18-2006, 04:43 PM
i hate the guard on weedeaters and i could care less about stress on my weedeater. i use cheap homelite straight shafts that i buy for $89.99 at home depot. Ive thought about buying expensive trimmers but i just dont see that they are worth it because for the price of a good sthil i could buy 4 of those. i give my homelite hell and it keeps on working it starts quick and has enough power to cut small trees and stuff as thick as my pinky with just regular trimmer line, yeah it wastes line but ive done it before. i figure ill come out just as cheap using those like they are disposable and when they mess up buy a new one and go on with my day. long story short i dont put the guard on when i buy it, i give it hell because i can bump out my line twice as long and trim faster, if it ends up wearing it out i will go buy a new one and give it hell.

lawnmaniac883
06-18-2006, 09:13 PM

Jason

You gain absolutely nothing by taking it off. If you need to run a 2' swath of string just to F$%$in trim then you must be one piss poor ZTR operator. Friggin morons.

Jay74
06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
It has nothing to do with how wide of a swath I need to cut. It is all about control... Less rpms but still the same capacity to cut as reving the heck out of a machine with a short line. I don't expect old schoolers that leave their guards on to understand. And really I don't want you to understand! The more ignorant beer drinking, tobacco smoking, shirtless, trashy lawn scrubs out there just means more work for the professionals in this field.

Others on this site have pointed out many realistic and intelligent reasons why they don't use trimmer guards.

Jason

Critical Care
06-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Honest guys, I think its the water down there in St. George Utah.

I for one would like for these "intelligent" people who don't use trimmer guards to change the industry where there is no need to have them in the first place. And while at it, go ahead and tell the same manufactures not to install mufflers and fire screens. Obviously no need for them as well.

CrewCutEnterprises
06-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I love threads like this.

I like them off, some of my guys like them on, its personal preference.

So another good question, who cuts grass with the deflector down?? Yea, thats what i thought. They are there for a reason, and its liability, same with trimmers, I like it without a guard as it takes some weight off and when line edging flowerbed edges and walkways, it gives you better visibility. Also who was the one who said something about exhaust screens, we take them off when we buy them, as they clog and bog down, yea maybe a bad idea. but look at brickman, tru green etc, do you see guards on their trimmers.

But for newbies its nice to have a guard on, So my trucks have one with and one without.

Lazer_Z
06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I love threads like this.

I like them off, some of my guys like them on, its personal preference.

So another good question, who cuts grass with the deflector down?? Yea, thats what i thought. They are there for a reason, and its liability, same with trimmers, I like it without a guard as it takes some weight off and when line edging flowerbed edges and walkways, it gives you better visibility. Also who was the one who said something about exhaust screens, we take them off when we buy them, as they clog and bog down, yea maybe a bad idea. but look at brickman, tru green etc, do you see guards on their trimmers.

But for newbies its nice to have a guard on, So my trucks have one with and one without.
The Brickman crews I have seen here in Jersey run with the guards on.

Rob

ReedM
06-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I too Prefer to run no gaurd, But it is personal prference. I run two Shindaiwa 231's, (one with gaurd I use for heavy weeds and clean-ups) one without i use for everything else. I use a manual head on both of them and love it. I will never run a bump head again. Also i carry a pair of side cutters in my weedeater box to cut the freyed ends before each home.

BESTYARDS
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
The guards are on for a reason. Safety. The manufacturers do serious study on the design. Why? They are the people with "deep pockets". In our litigous society, someone is going to lose an eye or get injured some other way. I expect there is an engineering team somewere in these companies doing research on the most effective guard. Yes they also consider the most effective diameter line path to engine power ratios. My Echo line trimmer is going on 23 years of age. My son took off the guard once. He's glad he put it back on.

Oxmow
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey guys lets be real here...that is based on reality!!! I too have my guards off and i have "mowed" some pretty broad places before. Some out of necessity and some being lazy.

Alot of industrial clients don't care what the backside of their buildings look like, just that the grass isn't 2 feet tall. If i'm away from the truck a couple hundred yards and i have an area big enough for a 21" i'm not going back to the truck for it. Little extra line width gets it done faster period.

I have been doin this a long time and very few if any in my area use the guards. Truegreen has a big presence here and they don't use them. No Brickman here that i have seen.

I know there are alot of arguments about safety and lawsuits and keeping them on, but really...yer car can go faster than the speed limit can't it?

Grass deflectors...gone. The little flap on my shindiawa edger...gone. The seatbelts in my truck...go...no wait i still use them.

BrandonLawns
06-27-2006, 12:31 AM
My guard will never go back on. I trim so much faster without it. It doesnít make that big of difference without the guard, as far as clippings and rocks goes.

ReedM
07-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Hey guys lets be real here...that is based on reality!!! I too have my guards off and i have "mowed" some pretty broad places before. Some out of necessity and some being lazy.

Alot of industrial clients don't care what the backside of their buildings look like, just that the grass isn't 2 feet tall. If i'm away from the truck a couple hundred yards and i have an area big enough for a 21" i'm not going back to the truck for it. Little extra line width gets it done faster period.

I have been doin this a long time and very few if any in my area use the guards. Truegreen has a big presence here and they don't use them. No Brickman here that i have seen.

I know there are alot of arguments about safety and lawsuits and keeping them on, but really...yer car can go faster than the speed limit can't it?

Grass deflectors...gone. The little flap on my shindiawa edger...gone. The seatbelts in my truck...go...no wait i still use them.

Same here, I would say about 80 percent here run no guard.
The guards are on for a reason CYA for the Manufacturer...

You know what, I get hit with just as much debris with or without the guard. Thatís why I would like to introduce to you guys, SAFETY GLASSES.

And seriously, it does not take a genius to run a trimmer without a guard. If anything it teaches you how to direct the debris where you want it to go.

lawnman_scott
07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I take them off. For those who say there is no advantage, maybe you just arent real good at what you do, so you cant see it. For those worried about an injury, why not do a search and find all the injuries due to taking the gaurd off your trimmer.