PDA

View Full Version : paver saws

jjwbny
05-13-2001, 01:50 PM
I'm in the market for a paver saw, i've used a few different models from MK has anyone had any favorite types or models that would cut anything from a 24"x24" paver to a brick . Any help would be appreciated.

JW

paul
05-13-2001, 02:06 PM
We like EDCO saws get a 9 hp 14" model it has the HP to cut bricks fast and it also has a level motor style, we use a hand saw the most Partner model 650 Active, better cuts and less time in getting your cuts right.

jjwbny
05-13-2001, 02:16 PM
thanks for the info, you wouldn't happen to know the aprox retail price of those saws do you?? how do they work for curvilinear cuts or do you just make straight cuts at angles?
JW

paul
05-13-2001, 02:45 PM
If you do a search on paver saws you can find lots of info, here's just one http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2914&highlight=paver+saws there are many more to look thru. just try it:)

steveair
05-13-2001, 11:15 PM
Hello,

for larger material, like 24" x 24", your best bet would be a hand held saw. You can cut some larger stuff on the table type saws, but it is a little trickier, and in the long run, not time effective.

Lot of posts on this already, so do a search and you will find a lot of info.

The biggest decision for table type's will be gas vs. electric. You will have to make the choice there, deciding on how much you want to spend and how much work you plan on doing.

Good luck, and when setting your budget, don't forget to factor in the cost of a blade with that saw, as they are rarely included and are not cheap.

As for cutting curves, well, no brick saw cuts curves by design, however, with a little pratice, you can get the saws to cut out some nice curves.
steveair

SCL
05-14-2001, 12:36 AM
Here are some new found truths that I've been experiencing with my MK 1080 paver saw.
1. Ground fault receptacles ain't everything and you have to keep some kind of cover over the receptacle in the motor for the water pump. Water plus wet soil plus a little misplaced juice add up to one tickled binky.
2. The support arm on my MK has been replaced once and may need it again . The ride in the trailer caused the motor to bend it out of square.
3. Keep a bonnet of some kind over the saw to keep overspray off of everything.

4. Wet saws keep the dust down but add a lot of cleanup time.

A 10" saw is fine for pavers but my next will be a 14 or bigger. Gas also.

paul
05-14-2001, 12:47 AM
As I said look at a 9 hp saw as your minimum! EDCO seem to be heavier built and don't seem to mind the trailer ride as much as MK saws.

steveair
05-14-2001, 11:25 AM
Yes,

have to be a little careful transporting some of the saws. I have a electric 10" Target, and have already slight bent the arm.

Easy to do when you are finishing a job and trying to get things loaded up in a hurry. Also, bouncing around on a trailer isn't much help either.

steveair