PDA

View Full Version : Grass clippings??

Bristrew
04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Do most of you let your grass clipping fall or bag 'em? If you bag 'em, are there places where they can be disposed of for free?
Thanks.

Brendan Smith
04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
don't bag, but there is always somewhere to dispose of yard waste for free if you look hard enough.

rfed32
04-24-2006, 04:22 PM
the only way i will bag is if someone is going to pay me for it....dont bag unless ur making money on it

FIVE-0LAWNS
04-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Our landfill takes yard waste for free if you are a town resident. The best part is they then run it through a grinder and flip it every few months and about a year later we have free mulch. Great system that is good for everyone. :drinkup:

man of stihl
04-24-2006, 10:09 PM
my local stihl/ lawn and garden supply store lets me dump all i want for free.. well at the cost of me buying supplies and stihl equipment there:clapping:
i hate bagging lawns but i dont understand how to not do it?

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger
04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I bag almost all my lawns . But our local landfill takes green waste for free.
I'd hate to pay since they charge $40.00 a ton for commercial waste.

E&MLandscapeServices
04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
We leave the clippings - the mowing section of my Residential Mowing/Maintenance Contract includes the following clause:

"Clippings will be left on the lawn as long as no readily visible clumps remain on the grass surface 36 hours after mowing. Otherwise, large clumps of clippings will be distributed by mechanical blowing or collected and removed by the contractor. In the case of fungal disease outbreaks, clippings will be collected until the disease is undetectable."

(I got a sample contract from this site - or a link on this site - and modified for my business. So far, I have done well with having clients sign an annual maintenance contact - all 15 of them. :cool2: )

Bustus
04-25-2006, 12:50 AM
I leave them, its good for the grass, and easier.

jbone
04-26-2006, 02:23 AM
we leave the clippings. What works for us is blowing the yeard reall quick after mowing if it clumps up too much. this spreads it out and forces some of it down into the turf making it less visible. clippings are good for the lawn if they are short.

topsites
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
my local stihl/ lawn and garden supply store lets me dump all i want for free.. well at the cost of me buying supplies and stihl equipment there:clapping:
i hate bagging lawns but i dont understand how to not do it?

It is very simple: You don't bag because it is not something you do.
If they insist, ok, thank you (and walk away) - You don't bag.

I have (hehehe) ZERO BAGGERS this year whew it took a long time.

FearThisDeere
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Like everyone else has said, I don't bag unless there is more money to be made. I usually charge about 25 to 33% more for a lawn that needs to be bagged because you have to factor in your time and allow the customer to think that you have to pay to get rid of the clipping.:laugh: My local DPW takes all the clippings, leaves, twigs, and horse manure that I can give them. They really like the stuff. They have a huge compost pile that they allow residents to take for free. They'll even load your truck for you! Can't beat that at all. I get rid of all my waste for free and get free compost whenever I need it.

JodyLee
04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Just tell your clients that by removing their grass clippings your wasting free fertilizer. Old grass clippings contain nitrogen and when you leave them you can fert. less.

just my .02

Jody Lee