PDA

View Full Version : Women in Landscaping business.

marfabis13
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Is it possible for a woman to succeed in Landscaping business?
I am a woman with 16 years old son. We were thinking about
starting Landscaping business, but everyone is telling me this is
soooo hard, is it true?:hammerhead:
I am reading those posts and I am thinking it can be done.
Did it happen to anyone that customer have a problem with a woman doing this job?
Thank you for any feedback.
Maria :waving:

sheshovel
04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Are you talking about Landscaping or Lawncare?
I have done both and had success.It's not for every
woman though..you should have a people personality..good comunication skills,tact,strength and fortitude.And a competitive streak helps too.

tcls83
04-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I have always though women landscape operators would get a lot of business. They might get a few stubborn close-minded old folks that don't think women can work, but the chances of coming upon those people are slim. If you and your son love the work and work hard, then I think you would do pretty well. I've actually had female friends and family help me with work before, and sometimes they do much better work than guys I've hired of the same age.

Watch out for those "horny old pervert" clients though.

sheshovel
04-24-2006, 05:16 PM
I have yet to meet a horney old pervert in my work.
I have always been treated with respect by my clients.But that's cuz if they have a little comment to make..I usually have a quick comeback that puts them in their place immediatly and they don't do it again.

mike lane lawn care
04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
i saw a girl at the local stop and shop, she was working with a bunch of guys putting down prob. 350 yards of mulch. she was working circles around the guys. I watched for a min, and i believe that she was the crew chief.

zim bob the landscaper
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
yup ive seen a whole biz just girls called lady slipper landscapeing. i want to hire a girl i think they will get alot of biz. not that there looks but i think girls seem to be more of a people person then men. also looks might help lol.

Badgerz
04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
A little off the subject but we've got a girl at work that easily out paces her male counterparts. When she started working for our company her boyfriend worked for us as a painter. She started out doing the same job and put her boy friend to shame. They broke up, he quit and she's still at it. Mind you this is no girlie work. She's painting 40 to 160" diameter steel air receivers. She's about 5 feet tall and probably weighs in at around 120-130. The right woman can do anything. A lot of it has to do with attitude and yes, a good dose of fortitude. Just make it happen. If you're worried that the work might be too hard then for you it probably is. But if you think you can make it work then best of luck to you. Give it your all.

FearThisDeere
04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
It is all about the quality of work. Doesn't matter your sex, color, race, or anything. I would feel just as comfortable working with a women as a man. You would probably get a lot of business. It just depends on if this is what you want to do. Good luck!:drinkup:

Kate Butler
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I've been in business for 20 years. Yes, it's hard work - very hard work. It's also REALLY gratifying work - making a place look better than when you began, making the client happy, making the neighbors smile as they drive by.

If you think you can make it work, by all means go for it.

HenryB
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't think operating a successful business has anything to do with being male or female. I think what this guy wrote on his website was pretty insightful...

http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Lawn-Cut-Business.html

rickt
04-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Dont think women would make it in this business ?

Go to your local UPS Terminal and ask for a "tour", tell them your thinking about working there.

As soon as you walk in the door you will feel the 100 Degree heat and see about 100+ women moving 5,000 boxes every thirty minutes. I used to work with women all the time at UPS back in the day and they would out do me on quota's.

Bustus
04-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Anyone can do it, you just have to have determination.

Prestige-Lawncare
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I was uncertain as to whether or not to answer this .. but hey .... forums are for info .. correct? And I myself am known to ask some questions others may think are silly ... but if I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked the question!

Okay ... I believe that most all occupations, jobs and/or businesses are "do-able" by both men and women. If someone wants to do something, and they have the physical and/or mental means ... then by all means do it. I only feel that if you have to ask others who do not know you from Eve if you can do something, then I am a little concerned that you already feel you may not be able to handle it.

You mention a son (or sons) .... there is you backbone to the heavy labor. They can help mom, they can make a little extra cash, and the most important part is .. they will learn a little about work ethic! Too many of today's youth have very very poor work ethic. This will be a fantastic thing for the kids ... and good learning experience all the way around!

A parent who cares :clapping:

Bgaz
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
This is my 15th season, been very succesful. We work hard, do good work, and have been treated with respect by 99% of our customers.

Roger
04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I
[B]You mention a son (or sons) .... there is you backbone to the heavy labor. They can help mom, they can make a little extra cash, and the most important part is .. they will learn a little about work ethic! Too many of today's youth have very very poor work ethic. This will be a fantastic thing for the kids ... and good learning experience all the way around!

This is a very important part of your decision, specifically the matter of work ethic. Few parents are passing along "how to work" skills these days, ignoring a very important part of parentlng.

WeCare-LawnCare
11-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't think operating a successful business has anything to do with being male or female. I think what this guy wrote on his website was pretty insightful...

http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Lawn-Cut-Business.html

Thanks for the link ( even if it's a few years old now) :)

Jerry Lee
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
heck yea u can. theres a lady in my neighborhood that mows 30 accounts by herself. and another woman that i work for that owns an irrigation and landscape business, and shes got so much work she doesnt know what to do with the money. so women can defenantly do this.

ixlr8
11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
The lady LCO who mows my neighbors lawn has 45 accounts, is working on convincing me to go full time from part time. She has more work than she wants and she knows the quality of my work and she wants to be able to refer work to me... but I am still part time and can't handle any more. She has more work than she can handle due to the fact she does quality work for a fair price and shows up when she says she is going to. She says she is netting ~$45K a year. I have not seen anybody in the area who can handle a ZTR like she can, she flies across the lawn and no scuffing of the lawn when she turns.. it is poetry to watch her work. I hope to be able to handle a ZTR as well as her someday.
There is no reason you can't do it if chose to, especially if you can get your son to help. Do some more research and if you think it is right for you... go for it. Good luck in your decision. If you do go for it... plan on purchasing quality commercial grade equipment to stand up to day in day out use. Most 'box' store' stuff will not stand up. There is no problem with used equipment to save you some money, as long as it has not been 'used up', especially if your son is handy with repairs and upkeep.

openbook
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I ran a crew earlier this year that had 2-3 females and one male, the girls definitely outworked this guy. I would see him just standing around so I would tell him to go do this or that, then 10 minutes later I would see one of the girls doing it. It made me mad, I told them not to let him get away with that. It seemed like they were clueless and were wondering why I was so hard on him. Often times they were more on his side than mine. I was just looking out for them and didn't want them doing all the work.

STIHL GUY
11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
well im 16 and i have a mowing buisness and it is possible for a woman to do. Just make sure you dont go out and buy a ton of equipment untill you have a good customer base set up

lifetree
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
From the comments posted, it appears that most believe a woman can do it ... so go for it if you really think you would be happy in this line of work.

Roger
11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread was started more than 2 1/2 years ago. The original poster made the single post at the top, and has not been on LS since May 2006. I am doubtful that she "went for it."

lawnprosteveo
11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Is it possible for a woman to succeed in Landscaping business?
I am a woman with 16 years old son. We were thinking about
starting Landscaping business, but everyone is telling me this is
soooo hard, is it true?:hammerhead:
I am reading those posts and I am thinking it can be done.
Did it happen to anyone that customer have a problem with a woman doing this job?
Thank you for any feedback.
Maria :waving:There is a woman I see out alot...both mowing and leaf work. We have similar rigs...our trailers look almost identical. She does great work and seems to have had the same accounts for awhile...I think women can do this job just fine.

If there is any lifting or muscle work you cant or dont want to do...you can find another way to do it or get help from your son or even a hired hand.

Good luck to you.

tinman
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
hard work so if any human is up to it then go for it. I have seen exactly one female doing this kind of work in 12 years though

TPendagast
11-04-2008, 10:51 PM
one of my first landscaping jobs was working for a woman. she rode the mower i pushed the 21"