PDA

View Full Version : Slit Seed Help..

Mrk'sLawn
04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I received a call today from a customer who wants slit seeding done. My problem is I have never done this.. I guess my question is, how hard is this to do? Can I screw up this guys lawn for the summer if I do it wrong? Also, What are the basic steps involved? I did a search but I need some advice fast I have to call him tomorrow. Thanks for helping a rookie..:usflag:

mike lane lawn care
04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
all that i know is that you have to rent a slit seeder. this might help.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=142469&highlight=slit+seed

eruuska
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
It ain't tough. Call around rental stores and find out who's got a slit seeder. I get $24/1000 sf to slit seed an existing lawn, with a $100 minimum. I typically try to apply about 2-3 lb of seed/1000 sf when applying a mix of KBG/Fescue/Rye.

Doesn't take long to do, and isn't terribly hard. Try it once, keep track of your seed costs and usage, rental costs, as well as your labor, then you can tweak your price so you get a decent markup and return on your time.

Mrk'sLawn
04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your help! I think this may be something I can handle with out too much trouble :clapping: :clapping:

Killswitch
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Renting a slit seeder might be a challenge.

eruuska
04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I've never had trouble forming the words "I'd like to rent a slit seeder, please" :cool2:

Dweezil
04-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Killswitch is probebly right for this area, I've been in rental for 8 years now and can only suggest places that might have one, I can't name one rental store that I know has one.

wannaquitmydayjob
04-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Can't find slit seeders? Have you actually TRIED forming the words "can I rent a slit seeder please"? Home depot doesn't rent them but most independent rental co.s do

Mrk'sLawn
04-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Can't find slit seeders? Have you actually TRIED forming the words "can I rent a slit seeder please"? Home depot doesn't rent them but most independent rental co.s do

Around here we have Drake's Rental and I think one called Taylor Rental.. Anyway , It was a kickback from a LawnChem acquaintance. He told me they can't do anymore slit seed jobs they're booked.. I was thinking of charging between 6 and 10 cnts sq ft.. This sound about right? After a figure out seed cost and rental + labor I should be able to get the job done in a hour or two..

Thanks again

eruuska
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
I was thinking of charging between 6 and 10 cnts sq ft.. This sound about right? After a figure out seed cost and rental + labor I should be able to get the job done in a hour or two..

Thanks again

Hmmmm..... that comes to between $60 and $100 per 1000 sf. Seems kinda high if you ask me. But hey, if you can get it, payup more power to you!

lwcmattlifter
04-25-2006, 09:24 AM
$60-100 is right in the ball park for slice seeding. I usually go on the higher side if the lawns are less than 5k. What size area are you trying to cover? If it's large or hilly try to find a hydro slice seeder, it'll make life much easier.

Killswitch
04-25-2006, 10:45 PM

Ummmm, Thanks Dweezil, and whatever to you other guys. I used to own a lesco slit seeder and an old Olathe beast, and years ago lesco used to rent them out. I am actually either going to need to rent one myself here soon or buy one, but a slit seeder isn;t something I want to rent from Billy Bobs rental either. It's a precise machine that better damned well be in tune and working right. They dont always. Even if they are self owned and maintained.

So even if I can/could find a rental then Im not quite sure Id even rent the thing.

Mrk'sLawn
04-26-2006, 06:22 AM
$60-100 is right in the ball park for slice seeding. I usually go on the higher side if the lawns are less than 5k. What size area are you trying to cover? If it's large or hilly try to find a hydro slice seeder, it'll make life much easier.

Excuse my ignorance, but because I'm just starting in the business, could you please explain why renting a hydro seeder would be better? The guy is telling me it's only 2 to 5k but it's 3 different areas of the property. Also, do you run the machine in a checkerboard pattern and rake over when your finished? Thanks again for everyones help

Mark

lwcmattlifter
04-26-2006, 09:41 AM
A hydrostatic powered machine is better because it will move at a constant speed giving you an even coverage. The hydro machines are heavier which helps the blades to dig deeper on hard ground giving better seed to soil contact From past experiences the detatchers with a seed box mounted to them don't slice into the ground unless its really soft. I like the Ryan Mattaway and the Lesco Renovator. The Lesco is a little easier to manurer than the Mattaway.

On almost bare ground you should go over the area in opposite directions with the hopper set at 1/2 the normal rate. If you have some established grass you can get away with going one direction. A lot of people may disagree but there is really little difference.

lwcmattlifter
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't rake.