PDA

View Full Version : First Job, Price check please

pasto_guy
04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Well after chasing the rainbird school down and going to about a week and a half of courses in two different areas of the country, it is time to do the first one. I could use just a little help though. PLEASE
I've got a 1" main and meter devoted for irrigation.
Over 100 psi (O.K. no need to drool):cool2:
45 rainbird 5000 mpr heads going head to head at 32 ft.
30 rainbird sprays
looking at close to 16 zones.
Anyone want to make a stab at the cost
Thanks in advance

jerryrwm
04-25-2006, 04:45 AM
$8000.00 plus Just a guess without all the facts.

Question: If you have a 1" dedicated meter and 'too much' pressure, why would you go with a 1" mainline? With that big a meter, you could easily go up to 11/4" and even 11/2" mainline and have fewer, but larger zones. Smaller controller, shorter watering window, etc.

DanaMac
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree. Minimum $8000. Probably more. But once again, too many other onsite factors to consider. Also agree with possibly the larger main and valves.

Mdirrigation
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Well you are in Virginia , if its Northern Virginia , 8 grand is way too low. Second I hope you are plowing the pipe , all the competition is . If you are trenching it will be your first and probably your last job. A 1 inch main is great but depending on the area , the pressure and flow could still suck . I just did one in Balto city with a 2 inch meter , dedicated supply that only supplied 20 GPM and 40 psi . Good Luck

Wet_Boots
04-25-2006, 08:00 PM
If the pressure is good, I would wonder about needing as many as 16 zones from a one inch meter.

Rainman7
04-25-2006, 10:20 PM
If the pressure is good, I would wonder about needing as many as 16 zones from a one inch meter.

Hey Boots,
I think we are in the wrong part of town. That looks like a standard 12 zone system to me. I dont think I could get more than $4200 for it out on the island. Is there something I dont see? Does the job have any special requirements? Trenching ,Seperate pit, backflow Rpz , Hot Box, Gold plated clamps?

MMEC
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey Boots,
I think we are in the wrong part of town. That looks like a standard 12 zone system to me. I dont think I could get more than $4200 for it out on the island. Is there something I dont see? Does the job have any special requirements? Trenching ,Seperate pit, backflow Rpz , Hot Box, Gold plated clamps?

Same here. 3200 if you find the companies that fill every box in city with a B&W flier.

bobcat9957
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
General rule of thumb around here is $100 per head installed. Including controls, valves, heads, wire, pipe, etc. etc.

pasto_guy
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Thank you for all the replies so far. I also agree with using a bigger main. In the long run the extra cost of the back flow will be a lot cheaper considering that there are less zones. How many gpm's do you think I can get say with a 1.5" main. (a conservative guess). Yes we are going to pull the pipe. My estimate was $6,820.00 for the job. I guess I'm in the ball park. I live in SW Virginia. I only have two other companies within 70 miles that do irrigation installs. Plus my customer lives in near VA Beach and this home is just a retreat. Must be nice to have a $600,000 second home. Thanks again guys and keep the replies coming.

Rainman7
04-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Thank you for all the replies so far. I also agree with using a bigger main. In the long run the extra cost of the back flow will be a lot cheaper considering that there are less zones. How many gpm's do you think I can get say with a 1.5" main. (a conservative guess). Yes we are going to pull the pipe. My estimate was $6,820.00 for the job. I guess I'm in the ball park. I live in SW Virginia. I only have two other companies within 70 miles that do irrigation installs. Plus my customer lives in near VA Beach and this home is just a retreat. Must be nice to have a $600,000 second home. Thanks again guys and keep the replies coming.

Two other companies within 70 miles!!!!!! That could make the difference, I think our island is only 125 miles long and we have over 500 listed irrigation companies besides all the landscapers, firemen, cops ect.. that do it on the side.

I guess I cant complain, we still do 1-2 jobs a day throughout the season.

As far as your system, do what you want, it will probably work out the same cost wise wheather you go big or standard main. IMO this is not a very big system, and with your specs, it shouldnt be more than 12 zones. When some landscaper or fence guy breaks a line would you rather your service guy or yourself work on 1.5" line or 1"? Same with the valves, what is faster to work on?

Just curious, how long do you estimate this take you to install? We just installed a system like this last week and we completed it in 6 hrs with 4 guys. This is how we need to work over here. I have heard some companies on this site will take 2-3 days to install a system like this, it must be nice to be able to think and breathe while installing and still make more $ on a job than me.

Gook Luck

Dirty Water
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
We just installed a system like this last week and we completed it in 6 hrs with 4 guys. This is how we need to work over here. I have heard some companies on this site will take 2-3 days to install a system like this, it must be nice to be able to think and breathe while installing and still make more $ on a job than me.

Gook Luck

How do you do this? A 12 zone system here would usually be watering around 2 acres or so, with 60-80 heads.

Perhaps the difference in speed is in poly and blazing saddles, but we use all PVC, we plow, and we move fast, yet 3 guys and me wouldn't even be able to get all the pipe pulled in 6 hours.

Today we installed a 5 zone system on a 16th of an acre, all thats left is to wire up the valves and adjust. It took 8 hours. If you guys are installing 12 zone systems in 6 hours I'm doing something terribly wrong.

BSME
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
we usually have about five guys and it usually takes us as many hours as there are zones...

a four zone system may take us 6 hours because of the fixed time constraints like timers, manifold, unloading plows, etc.... but a 12 zone system may also only take 10 hours

depends... a shrub zone takes longer too...

Dirty Water
04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I think my issue with speed this year is that only one of the 3 guys working for me at the moment has much experience. So, if I'm not pulling pipe, I'm building manifolds, or installing heads or the POC.

Once they get trained so that they can do more, we might go a lot faster.

pasto_guy
04-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I was planning on it taking us 2 full days. There are four of us and I would like to take our time and make it more of a leaning experience rather than a quick install. I understand that time is money, but for now we need to go slower to make sure that we do it correctly. Thanks for the continued input.

Mdirrigation
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I was planning on it taking us 2 full days. There are four of us and I would like to take our time and make it more of a leaning experience rather than a quick install. I understand that time is money, but for now we need to go slower to make sure that we do it correctly. Thanks for the continued input.

Give yourself 4 to 5 days . With 3 of us and 23 years of experience I would be there 3 days to get everything done right the first time , thats with minimum problems

Rainman7
04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
How do you do this? A 12 zone system here would usually be watering around 2 acres or so, with 60-80 heads.

Perhaps the difference in speed is in poly and blazing saddles, but we use all PVC, we plow, and we move fast, yet 3 guys and me wouldn't even be able to get all the pipe pulled in 6 hours.

Today we installed a 5 zone system on a 16th of an acre, all thats left is to wire up the valves and adjust. It took 8 hours. If you guys are installing 12 zone systems in 6 hours I'm doing something terribly wrong.

We use all poly, I cant see PVC being as fast. But then again, I never did a system all PVC.

The 12 zone system I was refering to only had 45 rotary and 25 mist, similar to the original post. This is how it works,

I start flagging the head locations,by the time I have the second zone flagged the machine is out of the truck, my plumbing guy is in the basement checking location of main so he could tell the piper where the manifold will be, I hold up 5 fingers which means thats how many rotaries on a zone, he is already pulling pipe and the other 2 guys are digging & fitting. I make a final check then go do estimates. When the pipe is done the piper digs and assembles manifold and the pipe spooler closes while plumber is hanging clock and sensor.

You have to have a system.

Througout the job no one is working next to eachother so there is no time to talk and waste time, everyone knows what to do.

We just finished a 2 acre job with 120 rotary and 30 mist. We did it in a day and a half. It had and 1 1/2" main running around the house with 3 manifolds. I was suprised it went that well being the house was built on a old potato field. The ground is usually concrete but this one was not that bad.

I have a good crew. Whenever I leave the job the customer is always suprised how everyone kept working at steady pace even with the boss gone.

I guess im paying them well.:waving: