PDA

View Full Version : cow manure for sod

texaslandscaper
04-24-2006, 11:59 PM
im looking to install sod in my front and back yard,900 sq feet in the front and about 1200 in the back. I want to apply some composte but it is expensive,i have access to cow manure from my uncles dairy. could i use this instead and how. im looking to spend 700 dollars on compost alone. what other alternatives do i have. my dirt isnt very good but not very bad except the back wich is very compact with little or no grass or weeds. :confused: please help

E&MLandscapeServices
04-25-2006, 12:14 AM
From what I know, you need about 10-20 pounds of cow manure per 100 sq ft. It is equivalent to about 2-2-2 and contains rich organic material (depending on its age), as does compost.

But since I am just starting out, I really dont know 'manure'.

sheshovel
04-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Unless it is fully composted to kill pathogens and well aged ...I would not use it.Cow maanure that is properly processed and composted and aged is fine..though it's fert benefits don't last very long in the soil.But any compost improves soil structure and drainage in the soil

muddstopper
04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I agree with She, cow manure, or any manure for that matter, will have an imbalanced Carbon/Nitrogen ratio. The excess, readily available nitrogen can lead to fungus problems in your new sod. Also, the actual amount of organic material is negible since you are basicly using a raw organic material. It will take about 10,000 lbs of raw manure to equal about 4 lbs of actual organic matter. If you are set on using organics under the sod, you can always buy those bags of compost at Wallyworld for about $2 a bag. Not the best source or best material, but it is usually made with manures and wood/straw. Has a NPK content of around .5/.5/.5.

mow2nd
04-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Just Put Down Some 18-24-12 And Then Sod It, Then In 6 Weeks Fertilize Again.

ed2hess
04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
No compost in Pecos or what.....that stuff only runs around $30/yd here in our area so you can go a long way on a yd. Take the advise and use the fertilize then come with compost/medina/compost tea.