PDA

View Full Version : learning the biz..

jbone
04-25-2006, 04:38 AM
Are there any books that cover it all?? Things like mowing, new lawn installation, dethatching, aerating, edging, diff types of grass, techniques for problem solving, use of ferts. etc., etc., etc., ??? I would just rather buy a book or two that covers everything rather than a bunch of books that cover a little bit. I unfortunately dont have the time to go to classes or find classes around me so ive resorted to reading on this site and now im looking into books. thanks for the help as always!

jbone
04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
also where do I learn about mixing different types of seed and how to tell one type of grass from another?

mow2nd
04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Turf School

jbone
04-26-2006, 12:23 AM
problem is I dont ahve any around me or the time to attend any really for the ones that are long distance.

mow2nd
04-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Then Get Some Working Experience. Work With A Professional Company For 2 Years, And Learn As Much As U Can. Then Go Out On Your Own, Trust Me You Will Have More Knowledge About The Business And Your Customers Will Appreciate That

jbone
04-28-2006, 12:27 AM
well I finally found out that my local comm. college offers an intro to horticulture class. But.....they dont have any scheduled at all. past present or future. I guess maybe nobody really cares to take it. so they dont host it if theres not enough students. So im back to reading books. any suggestions?

mow2nd
04-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Then Get Some Working Experience. Work With A Professional Company For 2 Years, And Learn As Much As U Can. Then Go Out On Your Own, Trust Me You Will Have More Knowledge About The Business And Your Customers Will Appreciate That

WHAT HE SAID

Tom c.
04-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Go on Amazon .com: Click on books and shop. I picked up 3 good books on lawncare. You can also save money by buying them used! Building a healthy Lawn by Stuart Franklin was a really good one. Also the Lawn Bible and Orthos book on Lawns I got them all used for a third of their origanal price!!:waving:

jbone
04-28-2006, 08:02 AM
I am currently working w/ my friend and his fathers landcape co. although they know their $h!t they dont know everything and they dont always have an answer. You can learn a lot from experience, but you cant learn everything from it. sometimes you need to sit down and read to learn why your doing what your doing. thanks for the tip on amazon. :)

ATVracer
04-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I just went on Amazon and ordered 3 books. The prices were really great, $13 some dollars for all 3 plus shipping. Thanks for the tip!

alyssa
04-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Would you mind if I asked what books you ordered? My Husband and I are wanting to start a lawn care business also. I do plan to get hands on experience but I love having books on the topic as well to read. Thanks!

ATVracer
04-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Would you mind if I asked what books you ordered? My Husband and I are wanting to start a lawn care business also. I do plan to get hands on experience but I love having books on the topic as well to read. Thanks!

1. Building a healthy lawn-Author..Franklin
2. Lawn Bible
3. Everything Lawn care.

All 3 were $13 dollars and like $3.49 each for shipping.

They were all used books I found on Amazon. Will probably be the best 25 bucks I have spent.

alyssa
05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. I definitely want to do my research, although the business will be my Husbands, I know he won't do any reading or researching.

Good luck with your business and thanks again!