PDA

View Full Version : Trailer passed me.

drsogr
04-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Well I got a trailer about 2 weeks ago, I took one look at the safety chains and knew that they would have to be changed. Unfortunately I hadn't had time yet. Well sure enough yesterday I was pulling out of my own driveway the hitch wasn't properly set down and the trailer came off, and the chains broke and the wiring pulled out of the plug. Actually the poor weld broke on the chains. I stopped, and they realized that the trailer was about to pass me, so I moved forward so that it wouldn't hit the truck. Needless to say, safety can't wait!

I rescheduled the job I had yesterday, fixed the wiring, added a break-away system and this morning I have a guy welding me on some beefier chains. I also bought a pin to put through the hitch lever to make sure that it stays in place, and to remind me to make sure its in place.

meathead1134
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
good thing nobody got hurt

mcwlandscaping
04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
yup, ive had mine pop off a few times, worst one was last week actually. Chains saved the trailer, our truck, and probably a car or two, it was scary! Good thinking to get that fixed now instead of waiting even longer

Guthrie&Co
04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Why the hell didnt you have it like that to start with? You mean you didnt even have a pin though the hitch lever at all? No damn wonder

sheshovel
04-25-2006, 02:49 PM
drsogr...I am ashamed of you..you know better than that!Don't blame it on the chain..it was all you!

rfed32
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
even if u knew the chains werent go u should have had a pin thru...i always have mine locked...was in a truck with my uncle b4 i started landcapin on my own....comin down a road doing about 50mph when the trailer came off....scared the sh!t out of me...i bought a lock b4 i bought my trailer...fist thing i do when i move up in trailer size(which is in the next couple of weeks) is to put a break away system on it....

just be glad it was in ur driveway and not on the road...and happy no one got hurt

Guthrie&Co
04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I cant stand to see someone hauling and it be half ass. bald tires,no pin ect. I saw this guy on the highway once, he had a tilt trailer with a john derre rider sitting in the middle of the eastbound lane. here is what caused the whole thing...
twine holding down the trailer, no pin where it goes to keep the trailer from tilting f-ing twine. then he had no straps holding down the mower so no damn wonder it destroyed his mower. and last but not least he had electricial wire though the hitch pin hole.

wojo23323
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
A trailer passing you isn't that bad. Picture this: Towing and F/A 18 Hornet down the flight line. Tow bar comes off aircraft. Aircraft passes tow tractor. Luckily the navy has a brake rider in the cockpit just for those emergencies. Glad you got your trailer fixed. At least you werent going down the expressway.

oldrustycars
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
at least an episode like this will stay with you forever, and hopefully you'll never make that mistake again.

Jason Rose
04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Ouch... may be a little my fault too, I jinxed you with all my talking about getting your brakes on both axles and the BREAK AWAY CONTROLER for the brakes... Glad you got that put on there now!

Did it bang up your truck bad?

stroker51
04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
This is something my boss and I joke about every now and again, but neither of us has ever experienced it. We always say if the trailer passes the truck, go as fast as you can the other way. We have had a tire pass the truck once, and pieces of blowed out ones, but never the whole trailer. I just got my trailer all set up w/ battery back-up break away, and have always had heavy safety chains, I use the bulldog style hitch, dont see a whole lotta ways they can come undone accidentally.

drsogr
04-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Well this morning after I got every thing fixed I was on the phone bragging to the safety coordinator at my old job that it was all fixed, when I get some guy pulling up besides me screaming that I lost a board. I turned back around and it was the board on the end of the trailer. The tailgate if you will. I got that one fixed today too! Geesh. Next I have planned a bulldog hitch and a brakes for the other axle. I was quoted $180 a piece for each. I never had any of these problems with my 5' x 10'...maybe I should have kept it!

drsogr
04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
BTW there was no damage to the truck and no animals were hurt!

Mowingman
04-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Yep. Bulldog hitch is the only way to go. I have never had one of those come unhooked.
This post reminds me of a little, near serious, accident I had about 10 years ago. Was pulling an F350 Ford Powerstroke flatbed behind an F700 drilling truck. It was hooked up with a very sturdy tow bar. I whipped off the interstate at the exit ramp by our shop at about 50MPH. A felt a little, funny sway at the back of the truck and looked in the rearview mirror. Here came the F350 around my passenger side, about to pass me, and there was stopped traffic at a traffic light just ahead. I whipped to the right, and hit the brakes, causing the F350 to slam into the rear of my bigger truck, but was able to get everything stopped. Turned out, the brackets welded to the F350 frame had broken, and the safety chains ripped loose. Pretty scary few moments there.
I am a big believer in heavy safety chains on my trailers now.

G.M.Landscaping
04-26-2006, 12:04 AM
This happened locally last week. A chipper/shredder broke free and killed three people.
http://mfile.akamai.com/12919/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0421/8889466.300k.asx

Soupy
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
I put one of these on my hitch this year. http://www.trailerguardian.com/

SealAndCoat
04-26-2006, 12:27 AM
at least it wasnt as bad as my idiot "friend" using a piece of rebar has a hitch lock/pin and having it break off or fall out while he was driving. In an emergency, sure, but he was driving around like that for weeks.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Check this story out....if you go to The Post Gazette , you can read the follow up stories...

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Local News
Neighborhoods
City
East
West
North
South
Washington
Westmoreland

Father, 2 tots killed in van by runaway machinery
Friday, April 14, 2006

By Moustafa Ayad, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A father and two small children were killed and another child was seriously injured yesterday when a piece of construction equipment tore loose from a dump truck and collided with their minivan in Richland.

Police said an industrial wood chipper being towed by the dump truck broke free and crossed the center line on Route 8, hitting the driver's side of the Honda minivan with such force that it tore the door off and sent it flying 40 feet into a parking lot.

The accident occurred around 5 p.m. as the dump truck traveled north on Route 8 near the Bakerstown Road ramp. The site is just north of where the Pennsylvania Turnpike crosses Route 8.

Police did not reveal the identities or ages of the victims last night. Killed were an adult male, a young girl and a young boy, police said.

Another young boy was taken by helicopter to Children's Hospital, where he was in critical condition last night. All of the children were secured in child safety seats, police said. The seats were in the middle and rear seats of the van, police said.

Ray Tubbs, business manager at Tom Henry Chevrolet on Route 8, said he saw the chipper break loose from the truck and hit the minivan. A large portion of the van's door flew into the dealership's parking lot.

"The chipper was bouncing down Route 8 and actually went airborne into the van," said Mr. Tubbs. "It came off and basically became a projectile."

Police said the driver of the truck did not realize the chipper had broken free until he was about 500 yards down the highway. He was released into a friend's custody after he was tested for both alcohol and drugs at the scene. Police said the results were not known last night.

Northern Regional Police Chief Robert Amann said the chipper should have been better secured. Police said the truck was owned by a private contractor, but would not identify the company.

Chief Amann said he expected charges to be filed in connection with the crash. Police shut down a two-mile stretch of Route 8 for more than six hours last night as they investigated the accident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Moustafa Ayad can be reached at mayad@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1731. )

E-mail this story Print this story

Search | Contact Us | Site Map | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertise | About Us | Help | Corrections
Copyright ©1997-2006 PG Publishing Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
here is the latest on this accident...there are about 4 other stories in between the first and this one...trailer safety is SO important.....

Pittsburgh, Pa.

Local News
Neighborhoods
City
East
West
North
South
Washington
Westmoreland

Search warrants executed in probe of crash that killed dad, two triplets

By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An attorney representing the owner of a tree service whose wood chipper broke loose from a dump truck and killed a man and two of his children, said the truck had all the required safety features.

Attorney Steven Townsend said, however, he did not know whether the 5,000-pound industrial wood chipper was properly attached to the truck and declined to comment on O'Connor Tree Service's training procedures or safety record.

"We've discussed the equipment and the way that it's to be connected, but in regard to this particular piece and what happened, there's not going to be any comment because I'm not going to speculate and he's not going to speculate about the way it was attached," Mr. Townsend said yesterday.

He added that the dump truck driven by Bradley Demitras had safety chains, a hitch and a safety pin to connect the chipper to the truck.

The truck is owned by James O'Connor, of Valencia. He has been in the tree-cutting business for about 20 years, according to his attorney, and employs a handful of people.

The chipper detached from the truck April 13 on state Route 8 in Richland and struck the driver's side of a minivan being driven in the opposite direction by Spencer Morrison.

Mr. Morrison, 37, of Cranberry, was killed along with two of his 4-year-old triplets, Alaina and Garret. The third child, Ethan, remains in critical but stable condition at Children's Hospital.

Police, who have executed several search warrants, continue to investigate. Investigators are checking whether Mr. Demitras, 34, of Pine, was speaking on a cell phone at the time of the 5 p.m. crash.

A search warrant affidavit also states that Mr. Demitras said he had taken the painkiller Percocet twice on the day of the crash.

Another search warrant was for Mr. O'Connor's residence and covered a range of documents, including employee records, company policies and a record of any safety violations.

"They took his computer, they took his files, they took his job sheets, they took his bid proposals. They took any and all documentation with regard to his day-to-day activities. I believe they took the titles to his trucks," Mr. Townsend said.

After discussion with prosecutors, Mr. Townsend said he was able to retrieve some of the paperwork and equipment necessary for Mr. O'Connor to run his business.

Members of the Morrison family, their attorney from the Beaver County law firm Bowers, Ross & Fawcett, and someone from the Allegheny County district attorney's office met Monday with investigators for a status conference on the case. No information has been released about the specifics of the meeting.

Mr. Townsend said his client is "devastated" by the situation.

"A day doesn't go by that he doesn't think about this, especially when he goes out to one of his trucks. He's trying to conduct his business affairs," Mr. Townsend said.

"Right now, it was an accident. About the only thing I can say on his behalf is he feels terrible and wishes that it never happened. He's devastated."

Mr. Townsend said he has advised his client for legal reasons not to contact the Morrison family to express condolences.

"He obviously wants the family to know how bad he feels and how terribly sorry he is," Mr. Townsend said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Jonathan D. Silver can be reached at jsilver@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1962. )

E-mail this story Print this story

Search | Contact Us | Site Map | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertise | About Us | Help | Corrections
Copyright ©1997-2006 PG Publishing Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Here are some pics of the new chains.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Here is the Break Away System.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Here is a side view of the trailer.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Here is another pic. Man this thing needs cleaned.

Soupy
04-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Looks good, but It doesn't look like you have those chains crossed.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah I need to start doing that.

aclassic
04-28-2006, 01:10 AM
also, hook your chains under not over, if you dont get what i mean, do the opposite of what your doing

Scag48
04-28-2006, 01:51 AM
I don't know if those chains are beefy enough, with any amount of weight on that trailer you could snap those suckers easy if it ever broke away, but you should be okay if you're just hauling light material. Make sure you cross them at least once.

Absolute Weed C
04-28-2006, 04:48 AM
At least you get to look at the hitch before you drive off and usually the wieght of the trailer will hold it down. Now if they would make a device to insure your ball is locked in the socket... That will be a life saver.

drsogr
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Well I got her tagged today...and bought a spare tire. Now I just need to talk to the dot and see what I have to have for that!

Jason Rose
04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
That's the exact same break away controler I got this spring! TSC special huh? Can't beat the price...

Funny I have NEVER heard of "crossing the saftey chains" before. Never seen anyone do it here, not even my step-dad, and if you ask him he's the expert authority on everything... What's the purpose of doing it?

Soupy
04-28-2006, 10:39 PM
That's the exact same break away controler I got this spring! TSC special huh? Can't beat the price...

Funny I have NEVER heard of "crossing the saftey chains" before. Never seen anyone do it here, not even my step-dad, and if you ask him he's the expert authority on everything... What's the purpose of doing it?

Your suppose to cross the chains so they will catch the trailer. I think it's the law.... It's definitely the proper way to hook up a trailer.

Wesley's Lawn
04-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Yea Beefy chains and a break away are a life saver, I was driving the F-600 dump truck with a 20ft tilt bobcat trailer with a S250 bobcat and a 1000 pound snow bucket on it, well i didn't hook up the trailer and i should of checked it before i left but the guy never latched it and i get about 10 miles away from the shop and going over a bridge the thing popped off and nearly flipped over sideways but lucky didn't but after trying to work on a side of a bridge with no room and traffic flying by a 70 i got it all hooked up and was on the road again, That could of been a real mess tho. Just goes to show you always check to make sure every things hooked up correctly and you have the proper equipment.

Soupy
04-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea Beefy chains and a break away are a life saver, I was driving the F-600 dump truck with a 20ft tilt bobcat trailer with a S250 bobcat and a 1000 pound snow bucket on it, well i didn't hook up the trailer and i should of checked it before i left but the guy never latched it and i get about 10 miles away from the shop and going over a bridge the thing popped off and nearly flipped over sideways but lucky didn't but after trying to work on a side of a bridge with no room and traffic flying by a 70 i got it all hooked up and was on the road again, That could of been a real mess tho. Just goes to show you always check to make sure every things hooked up correctly and you have the proper equipment.

You should consider getting the trailer guardian which I posted in post 16 of this thread. It is awesome for situations like you described.

Wesley's Lawn
04-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Thats sweet, could use it for the mowing crew but both dumps have the pinto style balls with the latch but it didn't help because i didn't check it like i should have. :hammerhead:

XMT&RCV
04-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Here are some pics of the new chains.

drsogr do you have a full pic of your trailer...

XMT&RCV
04-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Forgot to subscribe

drsogr
04-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Post 22 and Post 23 have some pretty encompasing pics....if you are looking for another angle let me know.

dtelawncare
04-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I always keep a lock through the hitch on my trailer. The lock stays with the trailer. That being said, a few months ago, I was to pick up another trailer from someone. I took the lock with me. He didn't bring ht enew trailer. I got home hooked up the old trailer (didn't pit the lock in it). I got to my first customer and as I backed the mower off the trailer it popped up in the air and into the tailgate of my truck. Left a pretty nasty dent and huge scratch all the way up it. I was sick to my stomach. My Tundra aonly has about 4,000 miles on it at the time. Needless to say, Ilearned my lesson.

XMT&RCV
04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Post 22 and Post 23 have some pretty encompasing pics....if you are looking for another angle let me know.

They are exactly what I was looking for.. I was trying to figure out something to do with my trailer.. it looks exactly like your minus the wood and its a 5x8! Did you do that yourself.. could you give me a material breakdown on what I'd need and what it cost you... also could I have a pic of the inside......what your using for bracing..

Thanks~

drsogr
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Well I spent around $250.00 for it. You could probably spend a lot less if you did a few things differently. You could also spend since yours is a 5 x 8 trailer. I am attaching a pic of the inside. There is nothing attached to the floor...everything is is attached and held in through the welded up sides. I used 3/8" bolts with lock washers and lock nuts for everything. I also used 5/4" x 6" x L for all of the wood. You will need a 3/8" bit with a cobalt tip to get through the metal in any kind of effecient manner. You should be able to tell basically how it was built by the pictures. The thing is strong...real strong. I am actually surprised by how strong it is.

The only thing that I might have done different next time was that I would have changed everything above the metal rails to cedar fence boards. As nothing that high would see any real weight against it, and it would have helped to save on weight. The strength of everything is in the upright supportson the inside of the trailer, which really didn't have to be 6" wide..they could have easily been 4". That and the bolts.

Here is a pic of the inside.

Hope this helps.

XMT&RCV
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Good News: That helps alot...

Bad News : Hey! you said it yourself, it'll be cheaper with being a 5x8...lol Now I will give you the acct# where you can wire me the money so I can do mine..

Again, THANKS!

Tucker~

drsogr
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Where do you live...I will just drive by and install it for free. The numbers kind of through me off by surprise. I was figuring around 100-150...man the bolts add up quick!

XMT&RCV
05-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Just a little East of Wichita, KS.. about 1400mi Look for the:usflag: USMC AV-B8 Harrier:usflag: can't miss'em... if you hit water you've gonne too far!

Idealtim
05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Ive heard of diesel wood chippers comeing off on the high way, the tounge digging in the asphalt, flipping end over end and landing on cars. Scary stuff... and those chains are usually underrated. I replaced all mine and put on 5000# grade chain on. Im not taking any chances, this is all I need...