PDA

View Full Version : EP Henry walkway??

nate1422
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I am planning on doing a 60x3 ft. walkway with my brother-in-law who is a laborer for a hardscape co. I plan to use Coventrystone I or III, so 180 sq. ft. I am calculating for 200 with overage. I am figuring 7 tons of stone to give a 6" compacted base, 1 ton course sand to give the 1 inch bed plus the edging, spikes etc. My local dealer charges $3.85/sq. ft for the Coventrystone III, but I am still shopping around, seems a little high, they are also charging $21/ton for stone and then delivery on top of this. Total job looks to be in the ballpark of $1100. Just checking if my calculations are correct before I end up with a budget buster.

Pavers Plus
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Looks like the pricing is in line with what we would sell product for........

cgland
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Try to steer away from CovIII if you can. If you are doing any kind of serpentines in your walk, the Cov III pavers do not have a decent paver for a border, plus it is a little large for a 3' walk. remember that Cov III is 2 3/4" thick, while Cov I (and most other pavers) is 2 3/8" thick.

Chris

Dreams To Designs
04-25-2006, 06:46 PM
The prices for the material are in line, but have you considered hand tools and tool rental for any equipment you don't have access to? How about a polymer sand for the joints of the pavers? Will you use a separation fabric between the soil and base material? Is this a pathway to somewhere in your yard or is it an entranceway to your home? And don't forget about food and drink for the laborers, especially if your not paying them...

Kirk

nate1422
04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Thank you for all the input, it is extremely helpful. I will definitely stay away from the Cov III and go with the Coventry I. I will be able to get a plate compactor from my brother in law on the weekend. I am figuring about $200 for incidentals like the fabric, stakes, edging and sand for joints. I have to double check all that but the stone, sand and block were my bigger concerns that I figured them correctly because of delivery charges. The pathway is from the driveway to front door so we may add a half circle off the stoop, extra $$ for that if we go that route. As for tools, I am doing most of the digging by hand to save $$ and will have my neighbor use his kubota with front end loader to help dig. A couple cases of beer and some food and we will have a nice curved walkway.

NAte

Dreams To Designs
04-26-2006, 07:02 AM
For an entranceway it is preferable to have a walkway that two people can walk side by side. Typically at least 4' wide, if not closer to 5'. You want the walk to be welcoming and comfortable. Curves are nice, arcs are better, and are they really necessary. You want people visiting to be able to see the front door and immediately know how to get to it. You'll need more that $200 for the incidentals. The Mirafi fabric is not cheap and good edging is worth paying more for. Look into using a polymer sand for the joint fill, it will keep your walkway much more maintenance free by elimination sand washing out, weeds growing in the joints and ants from colonizing your walkway.

Kirk

nate1422
04-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tips and input, your website/designs are amazing. I am going to hold off on the walkway until we can afford to do a 5 ft walk. We are going to get plants in this year and maybe do the walk this fall or next spring. I don't want to skimp just to save a few $$.