PDA

View Full Version : ? Can I Bury The Lines To An Ac Unit ?

GoBrowns247
04-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I am installing flowerbeds along the back of a house. The couple would like them large.(about 2 feet tall) They have an ac unit in one of these beds. The only problem is that I want to bury the lines that run from the unit to the house. I dont know if this is something I should do. Any help would be great, Thanks.:usflag: :drinkup:

sheshovel
04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Should be OK as long as you don't plant over them because if they need to repair them they will need to dig them up.Backfill carefully making sure there is not alot of weight from the soil above that will bend or break the lines(by compacting the soil below them firmly so they are supported) and make sure the client won't be sticking a shovel into them

maintenanceguy
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
As a prior HVAC guy, I always hated finding the refrigeration lines mulched over. It meant I had to get dirty to make repairs and when constantly wet, the copper corrodes faster and was harder to clean/braze when leaks developed.

Probably didn't really hurt anything though.

Just make sure you don't mulch above the "floor" of the condenser unit. If rain water can't run out of the condenser, it will rust away in a couple of years. I've seen lots of condensers ruined by mulch piled up around them.

Splicer
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
DO NOT BURY NON U/G ELECTRICAL CABLES/WIRES!!! It is against code to bury any electrical wire that is not rated to be used for burial.

allinearth
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
How bout the condensation drain? I wouldn't bury that. If it gets clogged and floods the house guess who gets the blame?:dizzy:

Dirty Water
04-25-2006, 09:22 PM
DO NOT BURY NON U/G ELECTRICAL CABLES/WIRES!!! It is against code to bury any electrical wire that is not rated to be used for burial.

Its pretty much against code to run wire to a Ac condensor outside of a conduit.

He'll be fine.

mr mow
04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
as a residential electrician... anything going to the ac outside elec wire wise is ok to bury under A LITTLE BIT of mulch. what you have is the ac disconect and a whip that is called seal tight, inside are the wires. as the code reads it must be rated for burial. seal tight is not rated for burial(of the top of my head) but under a little mulch should be ok. as long as you can see where it goes..to the disconect on one side and to the ac on the other. hope that helps