PDA

View Full Version : Mowing- Bag Or Mulch?

Landscape89
04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Just want to see who Does what When Mowing..

sgoalie23
04-25-2006, 11:11 PM
On 75% of my lawns they don't ask so i don't promote bagging. I can't mulch with this particular machine because the Lazer XS is set up to accept the Ultra Vac QDS system. The other 25% I do bag, and they pay $10.00 per bag. It holds 11 bushels. Dumping from the seat is a God send. Oh yeah, most of the bagging lawns are around a half an acre to an acre of grass. Usually three bags.

Bustus
04-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Mulch all the way, its cheaper, quicker, and better for the lawn.

rodfather
04-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Throw it as far as possible

zim bob the landscaper
04-26-2006, 04:40 PM
all of them but i try to do mulching but some people like the clipping taken up. i wish they only made that for spring and fall clean ups.

K.Carothers
04-27-2006, 12:42 AM
If I had to bag, I would get out of this business.

kc

rodfather
04-27-2006, 05:54 AM
If I had to bag, I would get out of this business.

kc

I would need a fleet of dump trailers.

J&R Landscaping
04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
85% of my work is side discharge. Only in the fall do I bag unless a customer requests it but that is very rare! I charge a bit extra for bagging as it takes more time and such.

PR Fect
04-27-2006, 07:05 PM
We really do both, mulch and discharge. The trim mowers are set up to mulch, the big mowers are set up to side discharge with Quickchutes. We found its best to mulch near beds and buildings, and side discharge near walks and open areas. Both mowers have a plan of attack :gunsfirin when we pull up on a site. PR :gmctruck:

ALAN'S LAWN CARE
04-28-2006, 09:38 AM
i switch off and on one week i may mow the next week ill mulch them..only bag when needed

Lux Lawn
04-28-2006, 07:04 PM
In the spring when the grass is growing fast we bag.Sometimes we double cut and not bag,this is on the small property's.

KCLandscape
04-28-2006, 08:23 PM
No bag, mulch if possible.
Double cut everything in spring
and hit 50 % of them 2X per week until June

JJLandscapes
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
u guys are lucky.... customers here fire you if you dont bag

KCLandscape
04-28-2006, 10:34 PM
JJ Then you need to educate them

ACEMowing
04-29-2006, 03:46 PM
We rotate bagging and mulching... side disharging is pretty tough on our bermuda grass... only can be done in really large expansive areas... around here if it's just being discharged, it's only on the real junkie lawnsor on no traffic common areas (where poeple don't walk up to it to see it up close). You'd have to quadruple cut a nice residential lawn and spend way too much time compared to mulching. Most of the higher end lawns still want bagging which for us, is a necessary evil. That's where the Walker pays back big time.

Critical Care
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
The most popular riding mower seen in this area being used commercially is the Walker, and I'm right in there with the rest of them. So... I'm guessing that 90% of the places out here are "collected".

Be careful in assuming that mulching is always better for turf, because too much too fast can actually smother grass and create problems.

Green Grass and More
05-03-2006, 12:34 AM
I only mulch as it's a lot easier.

CWRSNY
05-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Like JJ said on long Island your dropped for mulching

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.
05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Mulch or discharge if possible. Return nutrients to the soil. Save time and money on fuel and employee hourly wages by not having to drive to and sometimes maintain dumpsite with other equip.

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Side discharge for me.

grassaholic
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Right now I side discharge. Here in Cincinnati, the grass grows so thick and tall that mulching isn't an option. I haven't seen a mulching mower yet that can leave a clean cut when the grass is tall,thick, and green. If it's wet you can forget about it. I've been thinking about going to collection full time with my Walkers instead of only using the GHS system in the fall. I mow alot of high end residential lawns and am tired of filling everyones beds with grass. Once you do that you have to go back and blow the grass out of the beds.No matter how carefull you are with the blower, you end up blowing the mulch out of the beds and screwin up the landscape that the customer just paid you big bucks to clean up and mulch. I'm also tired of double and triple cutting lawns. If I collect with the Walker the lawn looks great after the first cut and there is no grass all over the sidewalks,driveways,and in the landscape. I just need to find a good setup as far as a truck that can hold alot of grass clippings and be able to dump without disconnecting my trailer.

Brendan Smith
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I side discharge and if they object, then i side discharge :)

29 Palms Property Management
05-15-2006, 03:06 PM
80% of the time I side discharge
20% of the time I mulch
Never ever do I bag, absolutely not!

tlwmsu
05-15-2006, 04:22 PM
80% of the time I side discharge
20% of the time I mulch
Never ever do I bag, absolutely not!

Is the 20% customer request, or do the specific lawns make mulching neccessary?

Not in FL yet, so I have to ask this. Are the majority/all of the lawns St. Augustine or mixtures of St. Augustine?

EDEN77
05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I mulch 100% with Toro ProLine WB mowers. If I fertilize the lawn, I overlap a little more on each pass in the Spring. If someone else fertilizes the lawn, I may have to mow twice each time until late June. Bagging does LOOK best. But, mulching IS best if the lawn isn't out of control. After the Spring madness settles down, there's not much difference in looks between bagging and mulching for the rest of the year if you mow with sharp blades.