PDA

View Full Version : leaf mulch

sailinstud420
04-25-2006, 11:40 PM
do you guys spread this stuff or hand install/shovel install it? How much are you paying for it, and how much do you charge to put it down?

Turf Tamers
04-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Not sure what you mean? The local sanitation service for the city of Greensboro NC takes the leaves in the fall and turns them to compost (good stuff).

sailinstud420
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
i am talking about the stuff people use in their beds rather than shredded bark or chips. It is basically rotted down leaves, it is really black and loose, and is quite popular around here this year. I have always heard it called leaf mulch??

Envy Lawn Service
04-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Yes, I do some of that.

I charge as much or more to install it as bark mulch.
The price of the materials varies a great deal based on supply and demand.

It makes for really nice beds... flowering beds especially.

sailinstud420
04-26-2006, 12:53 AM
thanks for the reply, but you didnt really answer the question? What is your method of installing it?

How much do you pay for it (ballpark)?

How many dollars per yard do you try to earn installed?

Envy Lawn Service
04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
thanks for the reply, but you didnt really answer the question? What is your method of installing it?

How much do you pay for it (ballpark)?

How many dollars per yard do you try to earn installed?

1) Various size shovels up to snow shovel size, and at times, buckets, wheelbarrows or dump carts. Depends on where exactly it's going.

2) Question your local bulk suppliers and find out what the market is like for it where you are. What I pay will not help you. Here it can range from $5-30 yrd to no supply available.

3) My gross rate per yard depends on the price of the material, landscape site distance from the mulch yard, number of material delivery trips required, and the difficulty of getting it to and installed in the beds. Best case cenario is $50 per yrd and up...

SOMM
04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
When it all (and we mean all) blows away during storms and fall leaf removal, is when they'll chose not to remember you the following year.

When tilled into planting areas - great stuff. When placed as the primary mulch IT'S A SCAM because it's half the weight of hardwood mulch, and most homeowners and saavy property managers know it's available in most communities FOR FREE at their municipal compost area.

Envy Lawn Service
04-26-2006, 10:56 PM
When it all (and we mean all) blows away during storms and fall leaf removal, is when they'll chose not to remember you the following year.

When tilled into planting areas - great stuff. When placed as the primary mulch IT'S A SCAM because it's half the weight of hardwood mulch, and most homeowners and saavy property managers know it's available in most communities FOR FREE at their municipal compost area.

What you are talking about and what we are talking about is two different things.
What we are using is a heavy black compost type material, not ground leaves from last fall.

SOMM
04-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Oh , sry. Thought you were talkin' about that cheap-azzed fluffy leaf mould that stinks, and is free from the municipal dump.

chriscraft
04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
We use organic compost leaves , grass clippings etc, it is black as oil and twice as rich. We pay 10 dollars a yard for it and put 2" down on new landscapes and use it as a topdressing after overseeding and aerating. We use a Turfco Metre-Matic for putting on lawns and Use big rubber maid carts to get to the gardens and shovel it in.