PDA

View Full Version : 5K square feet of tilling/grading ?

Thirdpete
04-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey-
A client of mine would like to have 5k (50x100 area) tilled, old grass raked, and leveled so they can plant grass for a volleyball court.

How long, in terms of man hours, would this take? I currently don't own a skid steer but would rent one if it made the job more profitable. I already have the lawn account and come with a fair price, they will use me for this as well.

I already know what I charge per man hour. I don't give them a time/materials invoice, just a straight bid. So i'm really just looking for how long a job like this would take.

The area is fairly flat already, in terms of overall grading, but there's a lot of bumps and its raises in the middle a little bit. Across the length of 100 feet, there's maybe a six inch difference between the very middle and each end.

SOMM
04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Mow the same day as you call the phone company and utilities to mark all their own underground lines first - the beginning of the week prior, for you to see day glow paint markings clearly before they get overgrown and/or washed out. Make the clients undersand it's up to them to mark buried cable tv or buried "dog" fence wire, and other "auxilliary" underground lines.

It's your call on what the bumps and raises in the middle after that. If you have to rent additional attacments, that's going to be extra:
Make it clear to client that removing and hauling away rock and underground debris is $125/hour onsite minimum for each two hours or fraction thereof(to cover additional attachments of jackhammer and loader bucket if it's massive rock/bricks/concrete; "wolf disc" if its clay and rocks; and/or stump grinder if there's old dense roots ) including a haul-away surcharge if the material needs to be loaded up and hauled offsite.

Other than that, we highly recommend even loading up the day before, if it means travelling farther to the nearest rental place renting Bobcat tracked T190 - T300 skid steer loaders with the "soil conditioner" attachment. The attachment shreads and pulverizes frequently-mowed lawns with zero need for raking of old grass clumps, within two onsite hours, even if you had to make 2 passes. You can also add end plates onto it to simulate a box blade.
www.bobcat.com

Thirdpete
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I know I won't be needing anythign other than the soil conditioner. It's a wide open area, probably 200x75. I'm just clearing out the 50x100 area. There's no trees in site.

So the soil conditioner will work fine for this? The area is mowed twice monthly and it's really a crap area as far as turf goes. But if I use this soil conditioner, will I able to level/clear the area in one day? They're going to want either sand or erosion control rolls laid in place of the grass that will be removed.

I basicallyneed a big, leveled 50x100 area of just dirt. This will work?

SOMM
04-26-2006, 05:45 PM
We thought they were taking care of all that. Yeh good idea with the 6 inch difference, and rolls for sure.

SOMM
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
i.e. we thought they were taking care of the seed and erosion control.
yeh u got it right.

good luck