PDA

View Full Version : New worker going solo for first time!!

dtelawncare
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Yesterday my worker started going out by himself. I still ahve my full time job, and business is growing well. He has been working with me and doing a great job. He worked yesterday and today by himself and did fine. He had a schedule to follow and had a place to put actual times and notes. My nerves were jumpy at first, but now I feel good about it. I will make a little less at first though. I feels good to make about $150 a day without showing up at a customers place. Now I need about 5 days a week of it. After reading the post by Jim Lewis I made the decision to take the chance on someone else handling more things.

Bustus
04-25-2006, 11:02 PM
That must be a very fulfilling feeling. Just make sure you keep your employee happy so he doesn't leave you and start his own company anytime soon.

dtelawncare
04-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I am going to try and do just that. I don't have a full week of work for him yet, but I am trying. Now that he will be doing most of the manual work I can get to advertising and stuff. He has been putting cards out at several places. He understands that the more I make, the more he makes. And Yes it feels very fullfilling.

dtelawncare
04-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I am going to try and do just that. I don't have a full week of work for him yet, but I am trying. Now that he will be doing most of the manual work I can get to advertising and stuff. He has been putting cards out at several places. He understands that the more I make, the more he makes. And Yes it feels very fullfilling.

K.Carothers
04-26-2006, 10:19 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but it won't last. He will either do it on his own or quit or milk the clock or a combination of all three.

Just how much will this guy gross in sales per day? 250 - 350???

You pay him how much??? 10/hr = 120-150 a day with taxes.

How much does it cost you to run your business for the day??? 100-175

How much is your salary for your work behind the scene??? 50 - 100 a day???

Bottom line __________________________________ You will lose money.

I wish you the best and hope you make money but I think you should crunch some numbers first.

kc

HOOLIE
04-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I actually discussed this scenario myself with Jim Lewis...

Really, you can't do it all, work in the field all day, do estimates, paperwork, etc. Something has to be delegated.

With the time to devote to the business end of it, it should work out well.

I may even go this route later this year, something has to give, I'm passing up work because I'm too busy in the field to do estimates. Definitely by next season :dancing:

Keep us updated on your progress...

JimLewis
06-03-2006, 02:43 AM
It gets even crazier, later on....

This year was the first year I made my second big leap. The first big leap was like 8 years ago when I hired my first employees and starting sending them out to do the manual labor and went into the business management side of things. That has been a big learning curve.

But this year I took a much bigger leap and hired a LOT of extra support staff. Some of you maybe read the [long] email about that earlier in the year. Well, since then it's gotten even crazier. First I hired people to handle 80% of the work I used to do. Office staff, a maintenance manager, an irrigation manager, construction foreman, etc. So the theory was that I would be less busy because I had delegated 80% of what I used to do, in terms of management stuff. But what happened is we actually ended up growing like crazy! So much so that all of the people I hired to do what I used to do are all working 50 hours each week and I am working 60! Go figure that one! We're now hiring helpers for them!! Unreal.

My new goal is to replace myself entirely. Which will take another few years. To train someone to bid and manage the larger installation jobs is what is so hard. But I have a guy who is up for the task and I think he can do it.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say congrats for those of you taking the leap to grow your business and move into management. And beware, the NEXT step is even more crazy. But in a good way. Money is rolling in finally. A little less stress than previous years. And a lot more money.

drmiller100
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
i too was stressed about sending a guy out. What was to keep him from going it on his own?

Well, lots of things that are pretty easy for me, that most people flat won't do. Bidding jobs. MOst people HATE bidding, let alone don't have the experience to do it.

Borrowing money to buy equipment. Most people that work for 15 an hour CAN'T borrow the money to buy equipment.

Cash flow. Most people making 15 an hour can't afford to do the work this week, and get paid at the end of the month. It really was surprising.

I was a computer consultant for 15 years before doing this. I saw a LOT of small businesses, in a lot of different arenas. It always seemed to me that all small businesses reach a maximum size. This size is DIRECTLY related to teh comfort level of the owner. All owners have a size they are comfortable with, and all owners limit the size of their company in one way or another.
Only the owner can do bids. Lawns can only be mowed if owner is there. The owner reaches organizational maximum to where they don't return phone calls for bids in a timely manner.

For sure I am guilty of this.

regards,
doug

scott's turf
06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Keep it up. I have been doing it for 5 years now. I work FT as a mechanical engineer and have a guy that works for me full time. Finding the right person is key. I have had my share of bad eggs and lost some good ones at the start of the next season. I have a good one now and things are going really smooth. I will never make a killing but I only average about 250 hrs per season and clear about 12k before taxes. A bit better than my other job and I get to be outside and have the luxury of writing off a lot of stuff that gets used "solely" for business purposes. My FT job pays way too much to ever make working solo landscaping. Plus all the benefits that come along with it.

emil35
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Thats great you did that. I would like to be able to do that soon, seeing I have college next fall. Maybe you guys that have done it can help me out so I too can stop "working the fields" as you could put it

Freddy_Kruger
06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh jeez don't let your guy put out flyers get outside help for that. Always leave "How to build a Business" a mystery to all employess.

Freddy_Kruger
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
NO flyers, no estimates, no knowledge about anything except their job. Tell them you put an ad in th yellow pages or its all referal and don't elaborate. Remember if you only got one employee he's got most of your marbles.