PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for used 6.5hp self-propelled Craftsman mower?

RandyG67
04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
My son and I are acquiring yards for this upcomming summer and are looking for an inexpensive second mower. A co-worker has a 22" Craftsman 6.5 hp rear bag/mulching self-propelled mower. I'll look it over tomorrow but he says it is in good shape with very low hours. It's just old enough that we couldn't find it at sears.com.

Whatcha think it's worth?

Thanks,
Randy

Mowingman
04-26-2006, 12:16 AM
About $35.00 - $50.00 would be the range, depending on condition.

Bustus
04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
About $35.00 - $50.00 would be the range, depending on condition.If it's low hours, this seems quite low. A new mower of the same options can go around $400-$600. I'd day if it is in great condition, around $100-$150.

Soupy
04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Charge your co-worker your normal dumping fee :laugh: Just kidding, You know what new ones cost, so look it over and decide what it's worth to you. Around here you can find decent used mowers for $50-$75 but don't expect that mower to hold up to everyday use. If your just going to cut a couple lawns a week then it should work ok.

newz7151
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
If it's low hours, this seems quite low. A new mower of the same options can go around $400-$600. I'd day if it is in great condition, around $100-$150.

You must be talkin Canadian money.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07137607000

How do you know it is "low hours" ? No hour meter on those.

Some advice: Take the spark plug out, tilt the mower back, take the blade off. Have somebody pull the rope slowly while YOU watch the crankshaft to see if it is bent.

Also, if it's got a Tecumseh on it.. just pass on the deal.

Bustus
04-26-2006, 01:14 AM
You must be talkin Canadian money.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07137607000

How do you know it is "low hours" ? No hour meter on those.

Some advice: Take the spark plug out, tilt the mower back, take the blade off. Have somebody pull the rope slowly while YOU watch the crankshaft to see if it is bent.

Also, if it's got a Tecumseh on it.. just pass on the deal.
I am talking CAD, but I'm also talking from experience with these machines. I own a similar one 6.75hp, and it worked well for me. I bought mine from Sears as a reconditioned one when I first started and have been happy. It's not my primary machine, but could handle a good amount of lawns per week. It doesn't have a meter but I would trust a coworker.

RandyG67
04-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. He received the mower as a house-warming gift but soon after moving in, began paying a neighborhood kid to mow his lawn. He's aware that he didn't pay for it, thus isn't looking to make alot of profit from it and is also aware that my son and I are just starting out and are looking for low entry costs. But, as mentioned, I know what a new one would cost me. I looked at some completed auctions on ebay and noted that similar mowers seemed to be bringing in anywhere from $90 to $120, with most clustered around the $90 to $100 range. Depending on my inspection I am guessing somewhere around $100?

Randy

P.S. Glad I found this site

newz7151
04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. He received the mower as a house-warming gift but soon after moving in, began paying a neighborhood kid to mow his lawn. He's aware that he didn't pay for it, thus isn't looking to make alot of profit from it and is also aware that my son and I are just starting out and are looking for low entry costs. But, as mentioned, I know what a new one would cost me. I looked at some completed auctions on ebay and noted that similar mowers seemed to be bringing in anywhere from $90 to $120, with most clustered around the $90 to $100 range. Depending on my inspection I am guessing somewhere around $100?

Randy

P.S. Glad I found this site

If you are looking for used equipment, and have not already done so, check out www.craigslist.com http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/ for used mowers, etc. The second link there will take you straight to the "tools" section of the Austin board. Even saw some brand new Shinny 230 trimmers there about a week ago. Some of the items have photos. It's really a first there gets it classified setup.