PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow Meter

Dirt Boy
04-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Where do you buy & what type of water flow meter do you use for checking out water pressure/volume on irrigation projects?

Or what is the preferred method that you use?

:usflag:

Wet_Boots
04-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Toro still sells their Flow-and-Pressure gauge assembly, that has a female garden hose connection. It wouldn't hurt to 'calibrate' it, by running it in comparison with your own water meter. And remember to take it out of your truck, when freezing nights return.

Dirty Water
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Do you remember what the list on that guage is?

Wet_Boots
04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Sixty-odd? I forget. I've had mine forever, and have replaced the gauges several times. The flow gauge is really a 30 psi gauge with a customized scale. (which means if you let the @#&$* thing freeze, you can try to fit the gpm scale to another 30 psi gauge, instead of buying the Toro part)

DanaMac
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
On the flow meter, are you checking the flow before you design and install the system? And how? Here that would mean having to actually install a plumbing stub out and then check it. If you attach to a hose bibb, the copper reduces to 1/2" before it exits the home. Just asking.

Wet_Boots
04-30-2006, 10:35 PM
With a water meter in a home's basement, it's possible to measure the flow from the faucet nearest the water meter, and get a fairly good handle on the possible flow. The flow is what matters most, since you want to catch the rare instance of a kinked water line, or some similar nasty surprise.

Naturally, that flow is probably running from a 1/2 inch line, through a stop valve, and a sillcock. So, the pressure you see at a higher flow will likely be a lot less than what you'd get, once you make your connection. Still, since you aren't getting the ten psi drop a PVB, valve, and pipe friction would provide, you can look at your flow reading at, say, 50 psi, and know you have at least that much you can count on working with. You can luck out and get more flow, but you will rarely be stuck with less than you measured.

And every now and then, you encounter a situation where you will almost certainly feed an entire sprinkler system from a faucet(s) In those cases, the gauge will tell you exactly what you have to work with.