PDA

View Full Version : Crew Expenses, How Do They Pay

cwlawley
04-26-2006, 03:22 AM
Well, it has been a long day. Normally I give my business checkcard to my second crew to fill up the truck with gas, buy drinks if needed, or supplies.

Today, one of my guys used this card to withdraw close to $1300.00 out of the ATM. I know, stupid me, but what do you other companies do to get your crews money for needed items?

jbone
04-26-2006, 03:27 AM
maybe you should control the spending limit on the card you give to the crews. For large expenses use a diff card with a higher spending limit, make sure they get your approval and then hand it to them or go buy the supplies (other than gas) yourself.

Choctaw Scalper
04-26-2006, 03:27 AM
First thing I would do is go buy a bat! Then when you clean up call the bank. Most banks have a $500 limit on an ATM to stop things like this from happening.

E&MLandscapeServices
04-26-2006, 03:31 AM
I dont think I would have given him the PIN to the card... let them use it as a debit/check card - no cash withdrawals.

sheshovel
04-26-2006, 03:41 AM
I dont think I would have given him the PIN to the card... let them use it as a debit/check card - no cash withdrawals.

Yea and let them but thier own drinks and snacks..you need to check back on your bills now to see what else they may have been doing to rip you off!

MSS Mow
04-26-2006, 07:09 AM

They still need the PIN to use it as a debit/check card. However, if they use it as a credit card, they only need to sign for their purchases. Just tell the store clerk to run it as a credit card and they will (ususally).

Another option, less convenient, but you could write a check for their purchases. You could fill it out except for the $$ and then they can only take it to the store you fill it out to. Just an idea.

brjohnso
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Use cash... easy to estimate drinks, snacks, and gas.

topsites
04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Why do you have to ask, this is theft, plain and simple.

First, ask for the money back. Yes, any of it. All would be nice but we know what happened, right? Yeah, so any of it, more is better.
Second, call the police and press charges. I think it's Grand Larceny but I really don't care, let the cops decide what to file.
Then, fire the guilty one and all accomplices.

Paradise Landscapes
04-26-2006, 09:55 AM
I would confront them in my office. If any of them smirk, just hold them there till the police came. Tell someone to be listening on the convesation and use a password to summon that person to call the police. If you call them they may just run. Don't know but, let the police handle it.

Splicer
04-26-2006, 10:01 AM
You didn't screw this guy out of his check or anything like that did you? You say "one of my guys" like you are not upset or expected it.

As to how to prevent this in the future from happening is to get a fleet card that pays only for gas and oil, needs an odometer reading and PIN # to work. You can set limits as well. Any Shell for example can do this.

cwlawley
04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
^That fleet card is interesting. I haven't heard of a car needing an odometer reading. I'll look into it. When I say "one of my guys" it means just that? Why would you think that anyone wouldn't be upset about the situation?

Coreyb
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
get an exclusive gas card, or set up an account at a local station. you will get signed reciepts every month. call the police. to be honest, i can not believe that everyone on this site is being so nice to you. normally, you would get blasted for doing something so stupid.

sheshovel
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
You need to stop getting your employees from the
"weekly apartments" gene pool and try and hire some
with a bit more honesty if you can.I am sorry to hear this happened to you...coulda sworn I warned someone about this possibly happining a few months ago...wasen't you was it?
CoreyB..we all know what it's like to loose money or equipment by useing bad judgement
so no use in rubbing his nose in it,....coulda sworn I warned somebody about this..well if it was you..then I TOLD YOU SO!

oslo
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I also use a type of fleet card. "Fuel Man". Can only be used for gas, need odometer reading, and there are plenty of Fuel Man locations no matter what location I have been. As far as snacks and drinks... These are grown men. Give them a Cooler full of water or Gatorade and be done with it. Have them fill up in the morning, or at the end of the day.

cuttinjoe
04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
So what happened with "your guy" did you get the cash back. Did you fire him????????????.

My boss has accounts for everything we might need. The trucks and mowers are fueled up at the farm from big tanks. For gas he has an account at the local station. He also has accounts at the Co-op, the lumber yard and the tractor dealer.

E&MLandscapeServices
04-26-2006, 11:20 PM
I would still file criminal charges against the person(s) that did it. If he made a withdrawal from an ATM and you report it quick enough, the bank will still have the video to use for prosecution. When he gets convicted, ask for restitution to be part of his sentence to ensure that you recover your money. If he gets jail time after he is released, he will still have to pay the restitution before he is released from parole/probation. I definately wouldnt keep him as an employee and, and even if he repaid me, I would still pursue prosecution. Otherwise, he will just do this to someone else.

tylermckee
04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
get them a fuel card that is only good for getting fuel, and set up an account at whatever stores they go to for supplies, that way you know what they bought, when they bought it, and what they bought it for.

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger
04-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Use a fuel card for oil and gas and fuel for the trucks , get your money back , fire their asses all of them , call the cops . And gee make them buy their own snaks and drinks .
The Lawn Ranger
Taupo New Zealand

topsites
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
get an exclusive gas card, or set up an account at a local station. you will get signed reciepts every month. call the police. to be honest, i can not believe that everyone on this site is being so nice to you. normally, you would get blasted for doing something so stupid.

Not to blast you instead but I was nice because it's not his fault!

Matter of fact, this is a specific example of what I mean when I talk about accidentally leaving your backdoor open: Much like we're not supposed to take advantage of the customer even if we can, the same rules apply to everybody in this world and just because the opportunity exists doesn't mean someone is 'allowed' to jump through our backdoor and just help themselves!

So the guy left his backdoor open, that happens, it is human. Sure he might want to do things to prevent this instance, but even if some ppl think this is stupid, to me this is merely an oversight and not a decision-based mistake.

As for me, I learned a long time ago if I accidentally leave myself open and someone jumps through the hoop knowingly (well yeah), they MIGHT get something out of the deal but it's over and now. I've even gone so far as to renege on my end of the bargain when I realized someone just got the best of me, and I don't show for the later part of the deal.

Ohhhh and by the way, most of the time you can't prove it but if I ever get the chance to nail someone for doing me like that, yeah I think I'd be all for at least scaring them REAL bad, at least that.

cwlawley
04-27-2006, 01:00 AM
I went to the bank today and they are going to give me back the money since Visa makes them, all but $50.00. I had to fill out police reports, etc. but all is done now and they are starting to get some of the tapes.

Sheshovel...how did you know he lived in the weekly apartments? I normally hire my employees well. This guy, lives in the weekly apartments but for what seemed a good reason. Guess this should have been the thing slapping me in my face huh? Very hard to find good, honest employees around here for a small operation such as mine.

CoreyB...why would I get blasted for this? A lot of companies are set up the same way as mine. Yes there are more precautionary methods I could have done, but I made the mistake of not. I never said I needed someone to tell me I was wrong, I admitted that from the beginning. That is what is wrong with some of the people on this site...they read things and the first thing they want to do is call the other person stupid, or tell them they aren't a good business. My company may be small but I am not a 18 year old driving around a minivan with an old 21" craftsman (I know you aren't either). This is a professional site, even though we can get a little goofy sometimes. But this is also a place to share real problems and get valuable information.

ALarsh
04-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Why in the world would you give him the PIN #? You can buy gas on a debit card without the PIN #! Just hit credit when asked....

sheshovel
04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
I knew because in a thread here you replied to someone that you got your employees from the weekly apartments.I did alittle back reading of your posts is all.

ToroLover
04-27-2006, 01:20 AM
She....a little too much time on your hands? ;)

Coreyb
04-27-2006, 09:46 AM
come on now. i did not say you were bad business, nor did i say you were stupid. i said you did something stupid, and it was stupid. i didn't blast you. reguardless of how long you have been in business or how long your employees have been with you, you always need to keep the opportunity to steal at a minimum. get fuel accounts set up, press charges against the ******* that stole from you, and learn from this. good luck

mow2nd
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
First thing I would do is go buy a bat! Then when you clean up call the bank. Most banks have a $500 limit on an ATM to stop things like this from happening.

BUSINESS CHECK CARDS HAVE A HIGHER LIMIT, I CAN WITHDRAWEL UP TO $2,000 FROM MY BUSINESS CHECK CARD FROM AN ATM IF I WANT. HOWEVER WHEN I FIRST GOT IT THEY ASK WHAT LIMIT YOU WANT, $500 IS STANDARD AND WITH MOST CARDS, BUT \YOU CAN ASK FOR A HIGHT LIMIT.

Runner
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
So let me get this straight...they still have to go through the tapes? There are many things wrong with this story. First, who did you give the card to? Who is responsible for it. second, do your employees ride together? Was this withdrawal made during business hours? What time did this occur? Who gave you BACK the card? The thing I'm getting at, is if it was done during the course of the day,...they were together. SOMEONE knows who did it! It is the INEVITABLE that they are going to see who did it! Explain this to your guys. If no one is going to come forward and speak to you,..then FIRE THEM ALL! You make that VERY CLEAR to your employees!

cwlawley
04-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I think that the employee may have seen me using the pin number before. Either that or he is really good at guessing, which I don't think so.

The charges were made during the day and during the night. Problem is, he was a one man crew in charge of smaller jobs. However, he is friends with another person that works for me and that person has come forward and said that he knew about it....so they've both been let go. That's all my employees right there....now all of the work is on me.

PROCUT1
04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Umm .... POLICE.......HELLO? Or do you not even know this guys name?

cwlawley
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
^WTH are you talking about? We've been talking about the police the whole time. Why wouldn't I know his name? Do you read things before you post?

derek1
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Speaking as a current cop, you need to get the local police involved as soon as possible before the stories start to change and people start to forget. Ask the employee in a non threatening way behind close doors where is your money and if he does not cooperate then you need to not say anymore to him and let him finish the rest of the day. Remember you have his last check which is not the amount what was stolen from you but you do not set yourself up for a law suit from a former employee.

sheshovel
04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
She....a little too much time on your hands? ;)

No not really..only took a few seconds.Glad you jumped in just to say that though.

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
I Am Sure You Are Going To See This As A "lesson Learned". We All At Some Point In Our Lives Have Done Things Trusting That We Wouldn't Get Burned. Everyone Has Temptations Only The Stupid Ones Act On Them. The Smart Ones Learn From Them. It Amazes Me How Fast People Like To React On The Negative Instead Of Being Compassionate.

marionlandscape
04-27-2006, 04:45 PM
here is what I do.
choose a small gas station. when one of the trucks fill up with fuel the clerk writes down the truck number and the employee signs the receipt. at the end of the day I go in and pay them all at once

PROCUT1
04-27-2006, 05:47 PM
^WTH are you talking about? We've been talking about the police the whole time. Why wouldn't I know his name? Do you read things before you post?

Where in any of your previous posts to do say that you have been to the police?

Also your previous posts make it sound like you just picked this guy up for a couple of days and didnt even really know him.

This sounds like either you're either making this up or you're leaving out a bunch of the story.

If an employee stole from me, Id be right at the police station with his name, address, soc sec # and all the other information I had and that would be the end of it. Id sign the complaint and theyd pick him up.

You havent told us what the conclusion was or if you were doing anything about it and thats what most people are trying to find out.

As far as gas, we have it at the shop, so noone goes to the gas station. Materials are all bought on a house account at vendors or bought in advance and stocked at the shop. I would never trust an employee with a debit card especially a transient.

PROCUT1
04-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I Am Sure You Are Going To See This As A "lesson Learned". We All At Some Point In Our Lives Have Done Things Trusting That We Wouldn't Get Burned. Everyone Has Temptations Only The Stupid Ones Act On Them. The Smart Ones Learn From Them. It Amazes Me How Fast People Like To React On The Negative Instead Of Being Compassionate.

Question. How do you capitalize every word? Is it just a habit of yours or does your computer do that somehow? Just curious.

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
04-27-2006, 06:45 PM
The Computer Must Have Done It. I Wouldn't Go Through The Trouble. Weird Huh?

6'7 330
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
No way I'm giving employees a check card and a pin number.Prescription for disaster.As PROCUT1 1 said,one of the employees takes to sealing from me, he is gonna be up sh!t creek without paddle.

Dunn's
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Personally we drug test all of our employess not all the time but atleast to get hired they have to pass. Not just to prevent staeling but what happens if your employee smoke a little to much before they came to work or got some tainted Sh@$ and gets the foot cut under the lawnmower or hand caught in the chipper/shredder and businesses always wonder why they have stealing and injuries not just in the lawn care industy but all job type. It just amazes me how many businesses dont realize that at the root of most problems drugs are in there somewhere.

cwlawley
04-28-2006, 03:49 AM
I went to the bank today and they are going to give me back the money since Visa makes them, all but $50.00. I had to fill out police reports, etc. but all is done now and they are starting to get some of the tapes.

I try not to call people names on this site for not using their commonsense and I am not going to start now...but read next time you have a point to make.

Why would I make this up? It's not like I have time to sit here all day and think up stories in my head that I can post to make myself look stupid. Please.

Also, this was a full-time employee. I hired him at the beginning of the season. Up until this situation happened he was a little slow, but always showed up and got things done.

topsites
04-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Well shoot at least you got all but 50 bucks back, that's pretty good.

Premo Services
04-28-2006, 08:22 AM
The first thing I would do is call the bank. There should be some kind of protection against this.
:dizzy:
You should go to a gas station and set up an account with them where the employee can get gas and ice and sign for it and you pay once a month. Only 1 employee should be able to sign for only gas and ice. Make a rule sheet out as to what they can get and have him sign it and keep a copy.