PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Shredders

Dunn's
04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
We are getting ready to purchase the Snapper Chipper Shredder with the optional vacuum attachment to make those clean-up jobs a lot easier and to make them go a lot faster. Has anyone had any experience with this item? If so, let me know. Thanks!

mcwlandscaping
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
could you provide a link to a site where we can see what this thing is?

Dunn's
04-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah sorry, I looked up the website but forgot to put the link. It doesn't show the hose attachment.

http://www.snapper.com/chipper_shredder.html

mcwlandscaping
04-26-2006, 08:22 PM
i would think it would be faster to throw it in the truck and take it to the dump then make it go through that, doing that will take awhile in a biz where time is money. those usually take awhile too to go through large amounts of leaves. IMHO i think you would be quicker with a BP blower and build sides on the truck.

just my .02 though

Dunn's
04-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah, we thought of that but we think that looks kinda trashy. Thank you for your input on everything, we really appreciate it :)

mike lane lawn care
04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
my dealer carries a few in stock, they do have the hose option. they are supposed to be good. but a modification would be to have it discharge into a large container. i made an attachment for the vac mode on one of my blower/vacs, to go into a large garbade can using some piping. i only use this at my prop. because this is the only place where i get PILES of leaves that are just too big to send to the town compost pile.

mike lane lawn care
04-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, we thought of that but we think that looks kinda trashy. Thank you for your input on everything, we really appreciate it :)

my grandfather has built up sides on his F250, he did them himself, they look GREAT, he only uses them durring the fall when he sells fire wood.

Dunn's
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Well that's good, at least it looks good. Most of the time when you see people who build sides on their truck bed it is made with plywood or some crap and it just looks kinda junky. I have seen a few decent looking ones but not very many. Most people just do it the cheapest way they can.

phototropic1
04-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I have a chipper/shredder that I love. It's an old Troy Built. We compost all our yard debris. Haven't made a trip to the dump in in years. And we use the compost on our client's gardens. They pay to have us dispose of the debris (compost it) and then pay again to have it applied back around their plants. You should see these gardens. Knock out!!!
Anyway, to answer your question. If trailer volume is the issue, then I would say you might just continue to load debris as is without the shredder. Chipping/shredding can be time consuming. But if you plan to let that stuff rot, the chipper will speed up turn around time by months.

ed2hess
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
We got a Troy Bilt with 10Hp several years ago....and found it was a neat thing to fool around with but not worth very much. You can't really chip up any real size of trees...it is not self feeding and you have to ram the leaves into the hopper. Skip this unit unless you want to do you own personal yard and make compost. We bought a Vermeer chipper for real clean ups of trees and other stuff. Usually easier to bundle stuff up and leave for trash or haul off.