PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

plantzpropertymanagement
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Or is everybody and there mama trying to start or already have a lawn care buisness it's like every where i look somebody's pulling a trailer with a mower believe it or not i saw like 10 different co. Sometimes i just feal like hangen it up. Oh yeah is there anybody from the Niles, MI area/granger, in?

ed2hess
04-26-2006, 08:28 PM
There are almost 1000 companies in our market, it is not an easy business since the cost and expertise to get in is low.

plantzpropertymanagement
04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah thats true but i dont know about the cost

JB1
04-26-2006, 08:37 PM
several people probably thought the same thing when they saw you lsat year.

LawnTamer
04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
It amazes me that I get as much business as I do, there seems to be an LCO on every corner. I even do a few who have a neighbor that runs an LCO, how wierd is that?

hillndale
04-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Our local paper has more ads this season for lawn services, than I have seen in 3 years. I too have a customer right down the street from another LCO. The market is crowded this year. Just gotta stay visible and get your name out there. I'm not quite up to capacity yet with customers either. But things are just starting here.

hillndale:headphones:

Dupesy
04-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Just like in the snowplowing biz around here. Everybody seemed to buy a plow truck last fall to make some quick cash, but the lack of snow has them all selling their trucks now. It's good for me, I want a couple more trucks for this winter, and I can get em a little cheaper now. Same forces should work for the pop-up lawn care folks too.

topsites
04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
It is like this every single spring, everybody and their brother thinks they want to make some money so they come out of the woods like an army of the living dead. But don't give up because come July, as soon as the temps soar into the high 90's or better, every one of them flees the map, and the coast is clear.

They make a tentative comeback around September, but as soon as the first leaf falls, WOooooSH !!!

What some fail to understand is that to earn the good bucks in business, you can't just jump in anytime the guys are saying the money is good. In real life, this business and any business is a bit like the stock market in that you have to stay in for the long haul, full-time, or you will miss the opportunities.

It wasn't so bad last year, and last year was real good... This year is a leaner year so far for me, and gee, here they come ... Why? Well, they heard the money was good (as in: yes the money WAS good, and they're a season late). So they all jump in and the competition stiffens and everybody has a hard year so then by July most of them are left holding their sore tails, while for those of us who are in it for the long haul, we slowly start on our way back up.

Maybe next year will be good, but you never know unless you stick with it so that when it hits, you're already in place to reap the benefits because if you're not, you will be too late.

cessnasovereign
04-27-2006, 01:46 AM
I know the feeling. It's crazy how many guys I see daily. 95% of them are just using an old beater pickup truck with a little trailer and a ZTR on the back. I probably see a good 10-15 of them each day. It's discouraging.

E&MLandscapeServices
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
You have to look at the need for the services as well. I heard on the news that new home sales were at a 13 year high (I dont know if that was local or national, I missed that part) - more homes means more demand for lawn care services. I know in my city that there are numerous subdivisions going up - most with starting prices around $200K (average home price is about $158K). When you hit the $200K market, those are the people that will use lawn services more than the lower home price market.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I am not discouraged...because the referrals keep rolling in and my schedule is full.....

D

chriscraft
04-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Ya its bad. the economy in most areas sucks, and the layoffs and money is tight. Buy a mower and a truck and you know how to cut grass lol. We are marketing and specializing in certain areas and it is really paying off, we are sticking to our guns and losing lots of quotes to lowballers but we have an extended plan so they arent really hurting us at this point in time. But i agree, its tough to make a living if all you do is cut with all the lowballers. We lose very few customers to them but it is trully difficult to pik up a lot of new ones like we used to 10 years ago. You need to diversify, do good work and above all show up every week, cuz most of the newbies wont(here today gone tomorrow), i see it every year