PDA

View Full Version : Plant Warranty.

drsogr
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Well I am going through growing pains again. This past winter we had very warm weather and little rain. So in turn plants dried up and died. I have a place where I planted approx. 60 plants and 10 of them died. Is this typical? Surely not?

I told them that there is a 1 year warranty, but they need to be watered properly....but all I can do is ask if they have been watered properly. How does everyone work there warranty?

Is there anything I can do to increase the chance of survival on my plants?

jameson
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Well I am going through growing pains again. This past winter we had very warm weather and little rain. So in turn plants dried up and died. I have a place where I planted approx. 60 plants and 10 of them died. Is this typical? Surely not?

I told them that there is a 1 year warranty, but they need to be watered properly....but all I can do is ask if they have been watered properly. How does everyone work there warranty?

Is there anything I can do to increase the chance of survival on my plants?

I only warranty plants anymore if:

1. There is a operable irrigation system on the property.
2. I maintain property.

Otherwise, I give a FAQ sheet re care (WATER, WATER and WATER). Too many times in the past where we have done installs and customer calls re dead/dying plants, I show up, landscape looks like Sahara (no soaker hose, drip, or sprinkler in sight), AND THEY WANT ME TO REPLACE PLANTS....no thanks!

James

Travel'n Trees
04-27-2006, 03:23 AM
Sometimes it is better pr when starting out just to eat it.

mcclureandson
04-27-2006, 06:09 AM
We warranty one of two ways...plants warranted as long as WE maintain the property (if it's an install or renovation at a property/neighborhood I want) or a two-year warranty in mulched, irrigated beds. Customer must contact me at first sign of plant stress. I emphasize I will not replace a dead, shriveled up plant. I have to have the chance to locate a plugged emitter, re-align a spray/rotor head, spray insecticide etc...plant warranty is for replacement only. large plants incur a labor charge.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 08:16 AM
We warranty one of two ways...plants warranted as long as WE maintain the property (if it's an install or renovation at a property/neighborhood I want) or a two-year warranty in mulched, irrigated beds. Customer must contact me at first sign of plant stress. I emphasize I will not replace a dead, shriveled up plant. I have to have the chance to locate a plugged emitter, re-align a spray/rotor head, spray insecticide etc...plant warranty is for replacement only. large plants incur a labor charge.

Well how about over the winter...most plants go dormant over the winter and practically look dead. That may not be much of an issue as you are farther down south.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Anyone else have anything to add?

sheshovel
04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Yea don't warrantee your plant installs unless there is an irrigation system with a ccontroller that you have timed to water the new plants like they should be.You just can't trust the clients to water and pay for it out of your pocket if they don't.Or you can buy your plants from Lowes or someplace where they warraantee their plants no matter why they die..but you still will have to give away free labor to remove and replace.

drsogr
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
thanks for the input she...do you ever add any chemicals to help the chances of survival? Like a root stimulator?

sheshovel
04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Nope all I use is compost ammended into the planting area or hole.I like Gardners Bloom Organic Compost and Gardners Bloom Planting Mix about 50/50 with the native soil.I am plant very carefully and don't just throw them in a hole like alot of landscapers do.I am real picky about planting...scoring the sides of my planting holes and making sure the hole is dug right and soil mixed well as well as proper plant height,and a few other specifications I have for planting.I always water the plants in right after planting and hand pic out the best plants I can that have not been in the pot too long and look healthy as possible.

DVS Hardscaper
04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Our plants are guaranteed for up to 24 months.

No rules sucj as "we maintain" or "you install irrigation".

I have a detailed warranty sheet derived from years of experience that the client(s) must sign. No signed warranty sheet in our files, then no replacement. In a nutshell the sheet states "you no water, we no replacey replacey"

We have almost no issues. Our clients water. Been in business since 1990 and to this date we have not had to replace one deciduous tree.

Talk to your clients.

Educate them.

Demonstrate how to water.

Explain that the ball is deep and they need to water enough to get the ball wet, compensate for run-off, etc.

Thats how we do it.

mdb landscaping
04-27-2006, 07:43 PM
we do the same thing as DVS....we give the homeowners/contractors/building owners sheets telling them how to properly care for their new plant material. if they dont follow the instructions it voids all plant warranties

drsogr
04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
But how do you know if they didn't water properly? They can say that they watered properly....but how do you know?

drsogr
04-27-2006, 09:17 PM
I am looking to make some kind of warranty sheet like you guys are talking about and having the customer sign it. I am thinking this would make the customer think twice about not watering properly.

drsogr
04-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I have been using the cheap topsoil from lowes to mix in with the plants, as it is better quality stuff then what I am taking out, and easy to handle. Could this be part of the problem...should I use something that is higher end? What do you guys typically use?

allinearth
04-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Everyone will tell you they water, but few know how to water correctly. I see people water by spraying a garden hose from a distance. I have done this on my own and the scratched the soil or mulch to find the water had only penetrated .25 to .5 inch. OH but they watered it good....yeah right! When its 98 degrees and humid most forget their landscape exists. They are inside in the AC. As you can see this is a sore spot for me too. I am considering implementing a 50% replacement policy. If customer has to pay at least part they will be more likely to take care.

gorknoids
05-02-2006, 12:18 AM
If you don't care for it, it's foolish to guarantee it.
I warrant against insects and disease upon delivery (based on a personal inspection and a great relationship with my prime nursery) but I would never guarantee any plants' survival for a year if I wasn't in charge of its' care. Either way, you need to price a job against 10% loss. A customer likes nothing more than a contractor coming back and unscrewing problems with no money transferred.

DVS Hardscaper
05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
drsogr - for a copy of our warranty sheet, please shoot me a private message with your e-mail address.

As far as knowing if people water. there is no way to know for certain. Although you can sometimes find tell tale signs, such as it being 96-degrees outside and there is no hose connected to the spigot