PDA

View Full Version : building a portable kettle

shepoutside
04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I have a steel tank, just right to make a portable kettle for HOT POUR CRACK/JOINT SEALANT. Pour temp is 350 degrees ikl

shepoutside
04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Ack!! Just noticed my message is only half there . I was wondering if there is anything else I need to know about building one of these. I have got a molases spout, and will be welding extra thick plates steel on the bottom. Any other tips would be great !!!! Thanks !!!

stevensteve
10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Kevin,
Did you ever do this? I am interested in doing the same.

Thanks.

EWS
10-04-2008, 12:28 PM
why not just buy one. I see them used all the time for 350-450. I think its just plain ******ed that you would use a turkey cooker. Usually you make your money back with 2-3 small jobs. go buy a 10 gallon and stop being cheap.

Loooogie
10-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Ack!! Just noticed my message is only half there . I was wondering if there is anything else I need to know about building one of these. I have got a molases spout, and will be welding extra thick plates steel on the bottom. Any other tips would be great !!!! Thanks !!!

Sorry if am being stupid but you are building a pour pot right?

Loooogie
10-04-2008, 12:58 PM
why not just buy one. I see them used all the time for 350-450. I think its just plain ******ed that you would use a turkey cooker. Usually you make your money back with 2-3 small jobs. go buy a 10 gallon and stop being cheap.

:hammerhead:

You know I build/designed my own sealing machine and the project was very enjoyable. :waving:

You build something your self you take more pride in it, you design it the way YOU want, and save money too.

How do you think most of these equipment manufacturing places started out?

Building your own equipment can be a money maker too, and a great way to fill in extra timey you have in the off season.

shepoutside
10-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Where did a turkey cooker come from? :dizzy:

I have made most of mine own equipment, is fun for me, as I have a welder, and much metal at my shop, I can build most things for just my time, plus to my liking. Also, up here in Canada, there are not the places to be able to buy this type of stuff, like there is down south of us, so makes more sence to build it. A 10 gallon melt kettle is around a grand here, cost me maybe 150 bucks.

shepoutside
10-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry if am being stupid but you are building a pour pot right?

No, this was for a melt kettle.

shepoutside
10-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Kevin,
Did you ever do this? I am interested in doing the same.

Thanks.

I did, and it worked great too, but was to small, lol I still have it, but use a 30 gallon now. It worked out to be about 8 gallons.

EWS
10-05-2008, 04:06 PM
sorry the other post was where the guy was saying using a turkey cooker for a melter. as for buiding something yes it can be enjoyable and fun. However when your talking about heating crack fill up to 350-400 dgrees You better be a master welder and know what your doing because you do not want the crack fill to flash and burn your face or body. And for the price of a used melter you really dont have to build one. Anybody can put together a spray unit loogie. that doesnt impress me. If you said you built the tank from sheet metal and put the tank together that would be much more impressive. dont mean to sound like a asshoppp

mikehoe
10-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Asphalt Kingdoms crack filler has a much lower melting temp then 350-450

Loooogie
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
shep if your old melter is in good shape and you want to sell it, PM me.

shepoutside
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
shep if your old melter is in good shape and you want to sell it, PM me.

I'll let you know, but I have trouble selling stuff, as I like to have a backup, for my back up :rolleyes:

blacktop
10-06-2008, 10:39 PM
sorry the other post was where the guy was saying using a turkey cooker for a melter. as for biting something yes it can be enjoyable and fun. However when your talking about heating crack fill up to 350-400 dgrees You better be a master welder and know what your doing because you do not want the crack fill to flash and burn your face or body. And for the price of a used melter you really dont have to build one. Anybody can put together a spray unit loogie. that doesnt impress me. If you said you built the tank from sheet metal and put the tank together that would be much more impressive. dont mean to sound like a asshoppp

What's wrong with a guy building his own system or equipment? As along as it is safe and designed well, it should not be a problem. 75% of my gear I made myself not because I wanted too but had too. Finding equipment here is pretty hard. As for home made systems and equipment, most of what I have seen out there is pretty good and mostly over built. On my spray system I only have one flexibly line besides the 150 feet of line for the wand, the rest is hard piped. Does it need to be? No I just want to do it that way.
I'm sure that the pipe will out last the hose, if I were to use hose instead pipe. Does that make me right? No. Any who builds their of system or equipment that is safe and well designed, this is very impressive to me.

Sorry to go on so long but that's just my two cents.

Black Magic
10-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I'll let you know, but I have trouble selling stuff, as I like to have a backup, for my back up :rolleyes:

Iam like that too,a back up for the back,kind of sad because as soon as the first one goes i get the second one fixed right away.But iam finally letting some stuff go now.