View Full Version : plant - salt tolarance

ianc
05-14-2001, 03:19 PM
Have a situation on a job where:

a) japanese double kerria
b) hicks yew
c) stephandra
d) spanish bayonette

plants are showing signs of stress - have lost 8 yews so far with another 12 turning bronze and the rest of the plant material is on it's way there also, not affecting the fairview junipers - sugar maples and serviceberries however.

I am waiting for the soil test - there was a large peat content in the soil - the beds were excavated 12" and new soil was imported into the beds

The only common factor is that the garden hose used to water these items must contain a high salt content - the affected plants are in the proximity of this hose - some of the spanish bayonetts are still in the pot waiting to be planted and look terrible

Is ther any information on the salt tolarance of the above plants

any help appreciated (the Yews were $38.00 a piece - and cant afford the onslot)

greens1
05-14-2001, 11:43 PM
Yews are fairly salt tolerant, one of their only attributes in my opinion. Check the root systems for Black Vine Weevil grubs. They love to feed on Yews, and probably the other plants you mentioned. They don't like juniper, seviceberrys or sugar maples.

Good Luck,
Jim L

ianc
05-17-2001, 06:14 PM
UPDATE:

found out the problem
the Wholesale supplier potted the shrubs in the fall and got hit with the early frost in November - figures the roots froze - he lost complete inventories of the items listed above

When I phoned him after recieving the soil and water tests - he said he was not supprised at the losses - will replace stock

now I have to firgure a way to cover the labour for the initial planting and replacements