PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Grass!

pitbullguy
04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for the toughest grass seed around for my back yard and for clients that want a durable yard, I was thinking K-31, Turf type-Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye. Now this is not for the best looks, but for over all durability.

Thank you for any replys.

SOMM
04-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Good choice for the zone ! These will weather a homeowners lawn through the spring wildfire season, the summer & fall droughts too, as long as they water.

We'll blend in bluegrass to compliment rye, and jaguar fescue to compliment the K31, 25% each also.

Supreme Turf Products Inc.'s Joel can set u up with some great starter fertilizers to propell your new seed. we like both Lebanon Turf Proscape 19-0-19 blended with Parex 10-18-22. They time release for 16 weeks, and the big K factor limits top growth and drought stress and time releases also. Don't forget your Howard Johnson's Mid-May 0-0-7 with Merit, to keep the dang grubs from chewing it all up!
http://www.supremeturfproducts.com/

regards neighbor!

topsites
04-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Don't think you can buy this as it's considered a weed but I'd give crabgrass the toughest grass vote lol

hickslawns
04-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Easy on the fert in the dry months. THe tall fescues don't like fert when it is dry. Will burn out easy. Hope it helps. Otherwise, I have used the tall fescues for commercial seeding jobs where they basically just use a dozer to level the clay mixed with rocks and it comes up. Not as nice as bluegrass, but not horrible to look at. It stripes nice with the mowers.

turfcobob
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
We do alot of K-31 lawns up here in Nebraska. Mostly in the country on acreages where they get the hell beat out of them by the weather. You have to seed several years in a row to get a good crop filled in. But, the stuff is tough as hell and survives our summers and winters. Don't do much with it in town as they have plenty of water and want bluegrass but they do not get the abuse either that a lawn in the country gets.