PDA

View Full Version : May 1 Immigration Boycott

L&LNewbie
04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
What do you think about this?Are anyone's employees planning to participate? Is anyone closing down for the whole day?

bobbygedd
04-27-2006, 08:02 PM
america, will be closing down

jt5019
04-27-2006, 08:42 PM
america, will be closing down

LOL gues we will see :usflag:

JJLandscapes
04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
they work 100 hours a week for a reason they cant afford to take a day off... thats why i think almost all of them will be working that day

drsogr
04-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I am just wondering if I will be able to get chips and salsa anywhere!

grasswhacker
04-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Si gringo.

DGM
04-28-2006, 09:50 AM
should have done it on cinco da mayo. :drinkup:

bullethead
04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
If they don't work Monday, no need to worry about working Tues or Wed or Thurs or Fri......

They are going about it all wrong, IMHO. All the protest will do is stir the anti-immigration contingent up even more - then they really will have to worry about being deported.

ed2hess
04-28-2006, 08:19 PM
If they don't work Monday, no need to worry about working Tues or Wed or Thurs or Fri......

They are going about it all wrong, IMHO. All the protest will do is stir the anti-immigration contingent up even more - then they really will have to worry about being deported.
I doubt that...there is a very serious shortage of workers this year....some pay has gone to $13/hr for workers in kitchens in resturants.

KCLandscape
04-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Bring it on.
I make more with legal workers anyway...from Scandinavia

AL Inc
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
We are working Monday, I have an all Salvadoran crew.

KCLandscape
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Yea exactly, shut up and get to work. Maybe some people are getting paid too much if they want to pull that crap. Get legal and reap the rewards of a free society. Or complain to your local corrupt govt-mexico in general- for better national policy.

AintNoFun
04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
you guys that talk about firing your guys if they dont show up are only going to be swapping another contractors workers that didn't show up.. so by say your going to fire them really isn't as big and bad as it sounds....

Az Gardener
04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
My brother in laws company (another Lco) will be shut down for the 2nd time in a 30 days, no problems for me. :dancing: You reap what you sow.

Planet Landscaping
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Round em' all up at the march and SHIP EM BACK

lawnboy
04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
they should not show up for a week, and everyone would see how much our country depends on them. That would make a statement. One day, not sure how that is going to change much.

Jpocket
04-28-2006, 11:02 PM
There is a movie out called "A day without a MExican" It shows how alot of industries would COMPLETELY shut down without them.

drsogr
04-28-2006, 11:11 PM
That would be fine by me. Ship them out! I don't have any mexicans on my crew.

KCLandscape
04-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I am talking LEGAL.
Mex, Euro, whatever. If they are legal and can do the work, there is no problem.

grasswhacker
04-29-2006, 06:57 AM
There is a movie out called "A day without a MExican" It shows how alot of industries would COMPLETELY shut down without them.

Good. If they've run their business illegally they deserve to be non op for a few weeks.

Reliable Lawns
04-29-2006, 11:11 AM

LOL Amigo!

landtastic
04-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I have been in the landscape industry for 18 years. Before I went into business my father was in the industry for 28 years. I remember when we had crews working for my father that were all American citizens; they got paid better, they cared more about the product they were producing. Bush has a favorite saying, "the immigrant work force is doing work that American citizens won't do."
Think about that for a minute, is it that over the past 20 years Americans have gotten lazy and decided in mass that construction work, landscaping, masonry etc. was something that they were to good to do? Or is it that giant corporations have reduced the pay to a level that most Americans wont work for? I say the latter of the two. And those of you who don't are just kidding yourselves.
My crew makes good money. They stay with me because I believe in honest pay for a man that considers himself a vital roll in the AMERICAN economy, and a true craftsman in the industry. If you believe in the Democratic foundation of our country, and your proud of your American Citizenship then you will hire only American citizens.
Let them have there rally. Run your business with pride and don't miss a beat on Monday May 1st. Our integrity and the reputation of my father and the majority of your own rely on our ability and desire to keep this country strong internally.
Dont buy into that "cheap labor" crap that Washington pundits want you to swallow. Ten years ago a carpenter made $19 an hour. Today that carpenter makes $9 and hour. Is that a wage you would be proud to pay anyone in todays economy? Not me. I want to compensate a man so that he can have a proud family, go on vacation once or twice a year, and buy a house.
We are losing our ability to produce goods here at home. Don't believe me? Take a trip to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Ohio. Where is the middle class, where are the factories that this country was founded on? China, Mexico, Japan, that's where. You don't think landscaping has anything to do with this? All work in America done by Americans contributes to the G.D.P.
It is not a black, white, brown, issue. It is an American issue, keep that in mind when your crew doesn't show up on May 1st. Our future depends on it, and you can make a difference.

drsogr
04-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I have been in the landscape industry for 18 years. Before I went into business my father was in the industry for 28 years. I remember when we had crews working for my father that were all American citizens; they got paid better, they cared more about the product they were producing. Bush has a favorite saying, "the immigrant work force is doing work that American citizens won't do."
Think about that for a minute, is it that over the past 20 years Americans have gotten lazy and decided in mass that construction work, landscaping, masonry etc. was something that they were to good to do? Or is it that giant corporations have reduced the pay to a level that most Americans wont work for? I say the latter of the two. And those of you who don't are just kidding yourselves.
My crew makes good money. They stay with me because I believe in honest pay for a man that considers himself a vital roll in the AMERICAN economy, and a true craftsman in the industry. If you believe in the Democratic foundation of our country, and your proud of your American Citizenship then you will hire only American citizens.
Let them have there rally. Run your business with pride and don't miss a beat on Monday May 1st. Our integrity and the reputation of my father and the majority of your own rely on our ability and desire to keep this country strong internally.
Dont buy into that "cheap labor" crap that Washington pundits want you to swallow. Ten years ago a carpenter made $19 an hour. Today that carpenter makes $9 and hour. Is that a wage you would be proud to pay anyone in todays economy? Not me. I want to compensate a man so that he can have a proud family, go on vacation once or twice a year, and buy a house.
We are losing our ability to produce goods here at home. Don't believe me? Take a trip to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Ohio. Where is the middle class, where are the factories that this country was founded on? China, Mexico, Japan, that's where. You don't think landscaping has anything to do with this? All work in America done by Americans contributes to the G.D.P.
It is not a black, white, brown, issue. It is an American issue, keep that in mind when your crew doesn't show up on May 1st. Our future depends on it, and you can make a difference.

Wow that is a strong arguement. I am glad you stepped up and said something. That is what needed to be said. I am tired of illegal workers in the work force. I am a small company, but I beleive in american workers. I look at these companies who bring down the cost of living for landscapers by hiring illegal workers and it disgusts me. It really is a joke. Everyone talks about how the mexican worker works hard. He is also compacent, he doesn't care about quality or workmanship.

ed2hess
04-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow that is a strong arguement. I am glad you stepped up and said something. That is what needed to be said. I am tired of illegal workers in the work force. I am a small company, but I beleive in american workers. I look at these companies who bring down the cost of living for landscapers by hiring illegal workers and it disgusts me. It really is a joke. Everyone talks about how the mexican worker works hard. He is also compacent, he doesn't care about quality or workmanship.
Badly badly misinformed-all the manual work is done by Mexicans in our area and some are very accomplished at a lot of task...they don't just cut grass.

AintNoFun
04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I am a small company, but I beleive in american workers.

thats why your a small company. put more faith into american workers and you'll get even smaller....

grasswhacker
04-30-2006, 03:42 PM
thats why your a small company. put more faith into american workers and you'll get even smaller....

He left out small "law-abiding" company.

landtastic
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM

AintNoFun, buddy let me tell you something. I worked the crabbing boats in AK for 4 years trying to put the money together to start my landscape company. We worked 20 hour shifts, in every imaginable weather. Hard working American boys. Our country is founded by American workers, everything you see that was accomplished during the industrial revolution and during the depression was built by American citizens hands.
It is not small companies that don't make there owners money. It is the small minded so called "presidents" of companies that keep all of us from flourishing. You tell me how an illegal immigrant makes you so much better off.

lawnboy
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
This is what makes america a great country. We can all agree to disagree. There are good points on both sides. I think what we can all agree on is there needs to be a check and balance to let people in and out of the country. I think most illegal immigrants would like to be legal and get some of the benifits that the taxes that come out of their checks pay for.
"jumping the fences" should not be tolerated.

landtastic
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Just one more thing. Has anyone here considered the legacy that they are building? I mean it is one thing to just go through the motions and produce a product, get paid for that product and then start over again.
It is a totally different prospect when you build a corporate culture that you can be proud of.

meathead1134
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I'll be nice so I don't get banned but :usflag:

drsogr
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Badly badly misinformed-all the manual work is done by Mexicans in our area and some are very accomplished at a lot of task...they don't just cut grass.

They may be...but I have tried the mexican route before. It was a joke. I tried sodding a yard with them...I had 3 of them. It was the biggest nightmare. Try speaking with them...you have to go through one guy....that guy becomes the boss. Its a pain. I would rather have someone that speaks english, so that I don't have to speak in clicks and wistles all day. I like my customers to feel like they can come out and ask my workers questions...and I want workers that are intelligent enough to answer them. When my english speaking workers help me, I tell them I have a problem with their work, they fix it. I tell a mexican that they did something wrong...they say oh..close 'nough.

Now I am sure that we all have different opinions about this based on our experiences....for me, I would rather help support a legal american family, then some mexican that jumped the border and that is sending money back to his family in mexico. I will ultimately pay for that privelage....but maybe having a crew that my customers can talk to, and I can communicate with, will pay dividends in the long run.

drsogr
04-30-2006, 06:46 PM

I have no problems with staying a small company...I would much rather be a small company with ethics and morality then a large company trying to save money by hiring illegals.

BTW I am guessing the situation of american workers in kansas is different then in jersey.

AintNoFun
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM

AintNoFun, buddy let me tell you something. I worked the crabbing boats in AK for 4 years trying to put the money together to start my landscape company. We worked 20 hour shifts, in every imaginable weather. Hard working American boys. Our country is founded by American workers, everything you see that was accomplished during the industrial revolution and during the depression was built by American citizens hands.
It is not small companies that don't make there owners money. It is the small minded so called "presidents" of companies that keep all of us from flourishing. You tell me how an illegal immigrant makes you so much better off.

bobbygedd
04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
that's right. it's ok for them to pay taxes, and most of them here do pay taxes. every human being has the right to seek a better life. how would u like to hear your child crying because they are hungry, and have to say, "i'm sorry baby, there is no food to eat." or how would u like to see your child sick, dying of an illness that medication should easily cure, and tell your child, "i'm sorry baby, there is no money for a doctor." if u lived in a country like that, you'd surely seek a better life, by any means possible. stop crying. slaves + immigrants built this country. as for tommorow...i'm goin fishin

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes this country was built to start with mainly forced slave labor...On the backs of people who were stolen from their countries and brought here and sold to"Americans"Who were immigrants when they came here.Then it continued to be built by more immigrants legal AND illegal in this nation.

6'7 330
04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/white_slavery.htm