PDA

View Full Version : Laser Levels

lx665
05-14-2001, 07:28 PM
How many of you are using laser levels in your landscaping operation? What brand are you using, and what should I look for before buying? Who has the best deals?

paul
05-14-2001, 08:29 PM
We use Laser levels, both hand held and rotating. What are you wanting to do with them? For setting wall units a rotating open is best, for pipe or grading you might look in to a slope laser. Most hand held run about $60, rotating start at $300 and it's not a problem to spend $5000 on a dual slope model.

BRL
05-15-2001, 11:28 AM
I bought a "site" level last year which is a rotating laser like Paul mentioned. The brand is Topcon and it was right around $1000.00. Great unit that I had used before while working for a general contractor. Things to look for are to make sure the laser you buy is for outdoor use. With the indoor ones, the receivers have a real hard time reading the lasers in bright sunlight.

paul
05-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Some of the things to look for in a rotating laser, Self leveling, working range (we like 700') it keeps set ups down, good case make sure it's waterproof along with the laser, you never know when it's going to rain. Other things get a fiberglass tripod or wood, they don't heat put in the sun like a aluminum one will.

SCL
05-21-2001, 02:33 PM
I bought a laser after instaling a 100 ft. garden wall by myself. Got sick and tired of taping a transit stick to the hand compactor and running to the transit a 100 times an hour. Ours is a 1000' ft model but I can't think of the brand. Bought it from a pawn shop on E-Bay and haven't had a problem in 2 years. Its paid for itself over and over again.

steveair
05-21-2001, 04:02 PM
hello,

a real cheap model is called a 'robolaser'. I think I paid around 300 for the unit, a rod, and a tripod.

For smaller jobs like walks, patios, smaller walls, its great. Not as nice as a rotating one, but it does get the job done and only requires one person.

Whats nice, is its great for going on estimates and taking a few quick elevation shots so you can give a more accurate price. Sets up in seconds, and the homeowners get a real kick out of it. People are impressed by "fancy gadgets", sometimes I think that is how I got the job.

stevair