PDA

View Full Version : Billing question

Dirty Water
04-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Today I was repairing some drip lines at a house and the neigbor walked over and asked if I could take a look at his system when I was done.

I came over, he was a older man (in his 80's) and he said that Zone 6 no longer was working.

I checked the timer, saw that it had no time on it, set it, manually ran it and checked for any leaks while it was running.

I was there literally less than 10 minutes. When he asked what he owed me, I told him not to worry about it and went to the next job.

Would you have billed him your minimum charge regardless? I wondered about that as I left. I was already in the neighborhood, so I didn't spend any extra gas.

Regardless, we now have a loyal customer if anything actually does break.

sheshovel
04-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Na it's really a no-no but I do that kind of thing all the time..may not pay the bills but it sure makes you feel good and that's worth something to me.

BSME
04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I would have stuck a sticker on the timer and asked him to call me for winterizing

SprinklerGuy
04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Ditto what BSME said...and at your appointment where you were fixing drip leaks....I would have replaced all the drip line ;)

Dirty Water
04-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Ditto what BSME said...and at your appointment where you were fixing drip leaks....I would have replaced all the drip line ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-27-2006, 09:40 PM
"Naw... no charge. But I'd take a cold glass of water if you can spare it."

jingles
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
:clapping: :) Na it's really a no-no but I do that kind of thing all the time..may not pay the bills but it sure makes you feel good and that's worth something to me.

telcomac
04-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Have done the same thing. Remember, friends tell friends who tell friends!!!:clapping:

DanaMac
04-28-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't need more customers - bill more than usual!! Just kidding. I've done the same. But I let them know I have 300+ customers already scheduled ahead of them that called in the last few weeks. So they get 10 minutes at the most.

I did have one lady come over the other day and ask, do you want some side work? Side work? I am the business owner, this is what I do full-time. That isn't SIDE work. That is MORE work. So then she asked what I charge and I told her. She just stared at me, then asked, are you kidding? Just to clean out a couple heads? Yup, and it starts as a couple heads, then would probably find 2 cracked heads, a leaking valve, need to re-set your timer, show you how to drain it. And then I'm there for an hour and running behind. So yes, these are my rates and call the office. We're booking out 3-4 weeks from now.

On a side note, I had my tech walk off a job yesterday and drive off with the customer staring at him. He never wanted to beat up an old lady until now. Story not so exciting, but I don't have time right now.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
04-29-2006, 10:01 AM
It's always good to help the elderly.

Just like peeing in your pants when wearing a dark suit
Nobody knows, but you get that good warm feeling :rolleyes:

PurpHaze
04-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Just like peeing in your pants when wearing a dark suit. Nobody knows, but you get that good warm feeling. :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO.... and to think I thought I was strange. :laugh: