PDA

View Full Version : My first broken window

howardsells2000
04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Well I have heard about it before but didn't think it would happen to me. I broke my first window today. I didn't see it happen but the home owners front door is, or should I say was, this real fancy glass with designs in it. Now it's shattered. I must have done it. I called my insurance agent but of course I have a $500.00 deductable. Hopefully it will cost less than that to fix.

It's tough to get a head. I probably worked all day today just to pay for the window that I broke. I was finishing up for the day too, he was my last stop. Fifteen more minutes and I would have been done and on my way home.

ALarsh
04-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Invest in an OCDC. $250 and you can control it so you don't get grass in the beds, driveways and try to pervent breaking windows and such. I know it isn't a 100% guarantee, but when I am in rocky areas or in doubt, I pull down the chute and no more worries about breaking anything.

Badgerz
04-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is an OCDC? Over Chute Debris Catcher, am I close?

ALarsh
04-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Operator Controlled Discharge Chute.

I have a www.qwikchute.com

howardsells2000
04-27-2006, 11:51 PM
I just looked at the web site. I have Ferris Walk behinds. I didn't see anything for walk behind mowers. I am going to my Ferris dealer on Saturday. I will check into what is available for my mowers.

rfed32
04-28-2006, 01:27 AM
do they sell them for dixie chopers...there will be one on my trailer if all goes as planed in 3weeks when my cuz moves into his new house...im gonna have to put a couple hundred bucks into it and one of these would go good since they are one the new ones....

cochino12
04-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Broke my first yesterday too, didnt want to invest the $$ in an ocdc yet :dizzy: but looks like I might have saved myself a few dollars that way. good luck and sorry to hear about the window.

adam

topsites
04-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Not to talk bad on you guys but in my first year I sure got blamed a lot for broken stuff and fast, it seemed to me every single time something was mysteriously broken, it was my fault. By mysteriously broken, I mean I did not and could not remember doing it.

This is not to say it isn't possible that I just didn't notice, but it dawned on me that out of all these things that are getting broken, shouldn't I remember at least SOME of them?!!! Because the things I could remember breaking were usually not as serious / costly, and I've always had a rule in place: If you break it and you know you broke it, fess up and tell the customer first.

The one guy really rashed me was some dude who had a broken irrigation water pipe and blamed it on me. Granted it was possible but even days later I could see my mower's tracks and it just didn't look like it, and if memory serves me correctly, that water pipe was busted and leaking when I got there, but I couldn't remember for sure... I wrote the guy a check at the time but I was very angry about this for over a year.

The one that really got me thou was sprinkler risers that failed to recede. I got the blame for a stuck riser once and that was when I had finally had enough because it really isn't my fault all this crap in their yards is all my fault every time something breaks or is broken, what if the child leaves toys out? Tough luck, my father used to tell us when he rode the mower over one, should've picked up after yourself.

After that, I stopped taking the blame so fast. First, I cancelled my liability insurance because in virginia we're not required to have it and I made sure anyone who asked about insurance was told I do not have it because the law does not require it (funny, most people don't ask so why do some?). Then, I gradually adopted a policy of 'I am NOT responsible for damage to objects in or around the yard, or damage resulting from objects in the yard. In exchange for this, customer is not responsible for damage to myself or machine resulting from objects such as water meters or rocks or any other reason.' <- How would it feel, their child left a toy out and it blew the motor.
This includes sprinkler risers, toys, hoses, water meters and irrigation systems, windows broken by thrown rocks or balls (think about it, why does the lawn have rocks or golf balls in it, is this my fault?)... And really, most anything and everything, tough luck.

And lo and behold the complaints dropped sharply once people realized they weren't getting no free repairs of any kind, even if it was my fault... On that note, if I mess something up out of sheer stupidity and I know I done it and I know it's my fault, I feel bad and I may very well replace something but it is funny, in the past 2 years I haven't had this problem at all, not even once.
Yeah...

grassmanak
04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone with some creativity could probably make one of those OCDC things. Its just metal plate.

PROCUT1
04-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Not to talk bad on you guys but in my first year I sure got blamed a lot for broken stuff and fast, it seemed to me every single time something was mysteriously broken, it was my fault. By mysteriously broken, I mean I did not and could not remember doing it.

This is not to say it isn't possible that I just didn't notice, but it dawned on me that out of all these things that are getting broken, shouldn't I remember at least SOME of them?!!! Because the things I could remember breaking were usually not as serious / costly, and I've always had a rule in place: If you break it and you know you broke it, fess up and tell the customer first.

The one guy really rashed me was some dude who had a broken irrigation water pipe and blamed it on me. Granted it was possible but even days later I could see my mower's tracks and it just didn't look like it, and if memory serves me correctly, that water pipe was busted and leaking when I got there, but I couldn't remember for sure... I wrote the guy a check at the time but I was very angry about this for over a year.

The one that really got me thou was sprinkler risers that failed to recede. I got the blame for a stuck riser once and that was when I had finally had enough because it really isn't my fault all this crap in their yards is all my fault every time something breaks or is broken, what if the child leaves toys out? Tough luck, my father used to tell us when he rode the mower over one, should've picked up after yourself.

After that, I stopped taking the blame so fast. First, I cancelled my liability insurance because in virginia we're not required to have it and I made sure anyone who asked about insurance was told I do not have it because the law does not require it (funny, most people don't ask so why do some?). Then, I gradually adopted a policy of 'I am NOT responsible for damage to objects in or around the yard, or damage resulting from objects in the yard. In exchange for this, customer is not responsible for damage to myself or machine resulting from objects such as water meters or rocks or any other reason.' <- How would it feel, their child left a toy out and it blew the motor.
This includes sprinkler risers, toys, hoses, water meters and irrigation systems, windows broken by thrown rocks or balls (think about it, why does the lawn have rocks or golf balls in it, is this my fault?)... And really, most anything and everything, tough luck.

And lo and behold the complaints dropped sharply once people realized they weren't getting no free repairs of any kind, even if it was my fault... On that note, if I mess something up out of sheer stupidity and I know I done it and I know it's my fault, I feel bad and I may very well replace something but it is funny, in the past 2 years I haven't had this problem at all, not even once.
Yeah...

When that rock that you kick up hits the little kid playing hide and seek in the bushes, you'll wish you didnt cancel that insurance. Liability ins for lawn service is so cheap there is no reason not to have it

rickt
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
When that rock that you kick up hits the little kid playing hide and seek in the bushes, you'll wish you didnt cancel that insurance. Liability ins for lawn service is so cheap there is no reason not to have it

Not that i am against insurance, but why would you be mowing when kids are playing outside ? We wont mow if there are kids outside, however 99.999% of our mows are done during the day when no one is home.

rickt
04-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Why do you guys use insurance for broken window's etc ? When you break or damage the customers property due to rocks, sticks, etc its not your fault it is theres. Your only liable when one of your machines does damage to a customers property, when you hit a rock and it breaks a window you are not liable, your contracted to do a service which is mow there yard, your not responsible for any articles on the lawn that can cause damage to there property.

Your insurance is for damages caused by your "operation" say for instance one of your mowers running into there car scratching it, etc. If your mowing a lawn and a rock pops out and hits a kid walking by your not liable, that should be cleared under the homeowners insurance policy. Your insurance is only valid for instances where your OPERATION aka Business (mowers, weed eaters, etc) physically hurts or damage something while in operation for instance if you hit somebody's leg with weed trimming string, etc meaning PHYSICAL.

PROCUT1
04-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Why do you guys use insurance for broken window's etc ? When you break or damage the customers property due to rocks, sticks, etc its not your fault it is theres. Your only liable when one of your machines does damage to a customers property, when you hit a rock and it breaks a window you are not liable, your contracted to do a service which is mow there yard, your not responsible for any articles on the lawn that can cause damage to there property.

Your insurance is for damages caused by your "operation" say for instance one of your mowers running into there car scratching it, etc. If your mowing a lawn and a rock pops out and hits a kid walking by your not liable, that should be cleared under the homeowners insurance policy. Your insurance is only valid for instances where your OPERATION aka Business (mowers, weed eaters, etc) physically hurts or damage something while in operation for instance if you hit somebody's leg with weed trimming string, etc meaning PHYSICAL.

You hit a kid or damage something of value, your head is in the clouds if you dont think you'll be sued. For a few dollars a year, Ill let the insurance company defend me instead of paying a lawyer $250 an hr.

Full throttle lawn care
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Well I payed for the window it cost 108.00.

topsites
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM

Your scenario is the most cliched tale around, the proverbial rock-in-the-head story makes the rounds time and again, great folklore.

My post was about how to prevent fraudulent claims, do you really think insurance will save you in case of an accidental death? Maybe you get charged with involuntary manslaughter, the insurance ain't gonna do your time, that's for sure.

topsites
04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
You hit a kid or damage something of value, your head is in the clouds if you dont think you'll be sued. For a few dollars a year, Ill let the insurance company defend me instead of paying a lawyer $250 an hr.

Wait a minute, I live in a commonwealth and around here folks can't sue for reasons such as my fart not smelling good... That's the way it is and it is the way it should be, not my fault the rest of the USA lives under libelous conditions.

What of value would you damage, the Rolls Royce? Tell me, are you that zoned out that you get too close to an automobile or what?

Do you not pay attention where your mower's chute is aimed? Do you roll past windows with the chute aimed towards the house?

Do you not turn down rpm's when it's dangerous?

Do you not make sure there is nobody within 500 feet of running machinery?

Have you never read safety precautions concerning agricultural machinery?
If you have, do you not follow these?
Maybe you should.

rickt
04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
You hit a kid or damage something of value, your head is in the clouds if you dont think you'll be sued. .

So you mow around kids ? Im sure i would be sued if i broke someones window or car, however my equipment did not cause the damage. The damage came from a rock on there property, my company is not responsible for articles left in there yard. Sorry to say but all my property's are mowed during business hours, there is no one around or kids outside, so your little tale wouldn't happen to me. We don't mow around children.

For a few dollars a year, Ill let the insurance company defend me instead of paying a lawyer $250 an hr.

How would the insurance defend you ? You would be paying a deductible for something that wasn't even your fault. Insurance is not to cover damage to property which is caused by the property itself, your insurance is to cover damage from your equipment to the property.

JJLandscapes
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
if ny didnt force insurance i would not even be paying a $1000 a year for it

chances of hitting a kid is 1,000,000,000,000,000 in 1 i cant stand anyone who uses that example

and to whoever said why do you pay for the window if a rock breaks it?

simple math pay $100-500 and keep the customer who will pay it off with a couple months of cuts.... or not pay for the window and lose the customer and lose $1,000+ every year that you lost him

Freddy_Kruger
04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
How exactly do you break a window with a lawn mower? If you're bagging or Mulching I'm guessing not but if you're using the open discharge?

richallseasons
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
After that, I stopped taking the blame so fast. First, I cancelled my liability insurance because in virginia we're not required to have it and I made sure anyone who asked about insurance was told I do not have it because the law does not require it (funny, most people don't ask so why do some?). [quote]

WOW ---that move takes some balls huh,good luck with that decision.......:hammerhead:

howardsells2000
04-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Invest in an OCDC. $250 and you can control it so you don't get grass in the beds, driveways and try to pervent breaking windows and such. I know it isn't a 100% guarantee, but when I am in rocky areas or in doubt, I pull down the chute and no more worries about breaking anything.

I bought something today for my mower that is similar to the OCDC. My dealer only had one in stock so I will have to wait on the other. I will be installing it Sunday. I haven't gotten the bill yet for the broken window. Hopefully with this installed I won't have to pay for anymore windows.

I think you guys are crazy that don't have insurance. In my case, with my deductible this incident the insurance didn't pay but if you do sideswipe a car or injure someone with your equipment it will be well worth the expense. My company name is all over my truck and trailer. In this sue crazy world I'm afraid to chance it.

I mow mostly residential and don't know how you can possibly not mow when people are around. If I didn't mow when someone was within 500 feet of my mower, I wouldn't get any work done. I try my best to turn off the blades when someone walks near me but sometimes people just seem to like to watch me work. It seems to be entertainment for some people. I have mulching blades on my mower but don't have my chute blocked. I try to aim the mowers discharge in the safest direction but sometimes you have to aim it at the house or road. It can't be helped. I'm not some reckless teenager, I'm a responsible, hard working 43 year old man, just trying to make a living.

sheshovel
04-29-2006, 01:21 AM

Well I for one want to congradulate you..you have now been officialy babtized in the art and practice of lawncare.Enjoy!You are now a real LCO

Runner
04-29-2006, 03:27 AM
For anyone who thinks these stories are "folklore", I invite you to read this.
I would be happy to introduce to an associate of mine who is an LCO. I've known him for years, and he is also known by some other members on here as well as on other forums. He had a commercial property that had a rental unit on it among some other things. There were kids that always played outside when they were there, and though he spoke to the people that lived there about it, it never seemed to help. The best thing that happened, was that the kids would play on the other side - away from the mowers. Well, one day, he got the call. It was one of his employees saying that "You better get over here quick." When he asked what happened, the employee just replied. "Just get over here."
Well, he left right away and drove as fast as he could. When he arrived, he was told what happened. His guy was coming around the corner of a high fence, slowed down and took caution, and proceeded when it was clear. Well, he hit a stone, and it flew a considerable distance, and hit this kid right square beside the eye. He was told that it didn't look good. The mother was already on the way to the hospital with the child. For a while (about 2 weeks), they didn't know if they were going to be able to save the eye, or if the kid would lose it. Well, they couldn't save it. Now, don't think for a MINUTE that there wasn't a MAJOR lawsuit, because there was. His insurance was somehow able to take care of it, but this kid is STILL without an eye for the rest of his life.
Now, the point is, just because SOME people are unaware of what can happen with the power of these units, US, as operators, should know better. If they can't abide by simple common sense, then you pack up and go elsewhere. No ifs, ands, or buts. I don't WHO they are, if they are friends of yours or friends of the popes. All it takes is once, and when it happens, it's gonna happen fast....and it is irreversible. There is NO mowing account worth the liability of this. You'd BETTER TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aadman
04-29-2006, 06:20 AM
I got mine this week too...

Monday took out a mail box with the roll bar on my Z turn
Tuesday found a sewer cut out with my lawn tractor bending the blades
Wednesday nailed a raised spigot from a well with my line trimmer...I barely tagged it and that plastic piping crumbled
Thursday while putting down mulch in a flower bed I backed into a raised pipe for a sprinkler in a flower bed breaking the pipe at the tee.
Friday I cleaned 41 bags of leaves out of ivy and I did not break anything and celebrated by going to bed at 8:30.

I am in Virginia ... have insurance but paid or fixed everything out of pocket.

Joe

rickt
04-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I mow mostly residential and don't know how you can possibly not mow when people are around. If I didn't mow when someone was within 500 feet of my mower, I wouldn't get any work done.

We mow 29-32 residential lawns per day, at all of our locations there is no one around other than dogs in neighbors yards, however they dont even bark they just do there own thing. We mow Monday - Friday between 8am-3pm, during these times no one is home.

oslo
04-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Don't think for a minute that hurting a dog wont cost you, to alot of wacko tree hugging people they are the same as humans. :)

Lux Lawn
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I did the same thing a couple of years ago.I was knocking weeds out of the cracks in the sidewalk leading up to the front door and a rock went right through the full length glass door.I think it cost me a couple hundred bucks to replace.

J&R Landscaping
04-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I got mine this week too...

Monday took out a mail box with the roll bar on my Z turn
Tuesday found a sewer cut out with my lawn tractor bending the blades
Wednesday nailed a raised spigot from a well with my line trimmer...I barely tagged it and that plastic piping crumbled
Thursday while putting down mulch in a flower bed I backed into a raised pipe for a sprinkler in a flower bed breaking the pipe at the tee.
Friday I cleaned 41 bags of leaves out of ivy and I did not break anything and celebrated by going to bed at 8:30.

I am in Virginia ... have insurance but paid or fixed everything out of pocket.

Joe
Sounds like you had a black cloud over your head most of the week! I hate it when everything you do just goes wrong but o well, $hit happens! :hammerhead:

Jay Ray
05-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Glad yours wasn't too bad. Mine was $473.

howardsells2000
05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, talked with my customer today about his window. He was able to find a replacement for $89.00. So I lucked out. That is much less than I thought it would cost. He asked me to just cut his lawn a couple of times for him and we will call it even. Thats a good deal for me because I have about 20 townhomes in his neighborhood. So I will already be on his street. No driving to just cut his house. I got lucky.