PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried compacting grass clippings?

Az Gardener
04-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I was thinking about getting a used trash compactor and giving it a try. I would think it would reduce the space by at least 40% and if it was tight enough might be able to get some bricks out of it. They might also spontaneously combust too. Just a thought its been a long week. Seriously, I'm interested in any helpful or very funny feedback.

grandview (2006)
04-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Not sure by you but the town will pick up the grass clippings and they use garbage trucks and when they compact it all the grass juice leaks out . The smell from it gags you and you can smell it for a week where it stained the ground.

Petr51488
04-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Well.. with leaves.. i fill up the back of my pick up.. water them down.. and put a flat pallet on top and jump on it.. it reduces it to 1/2 the size.. the same works with grass, but most of the time i just leave the truck un tarped in the rain and it does the same job.. but yea.. it smells alot after a while..

Az Gardener
04-28-2006, 10:59 PM
What is this thing you call rain?

If you could collect that grass juice I'll bet it would be full of enzymes and nitrogen, good for fertilizing if you had an economical way to apply it.

Our grass here is not so juicy so I'm not so concerned with the juice. The small homeowner compactor would not be practical but if it worked on a small scale why not bigger bales? Then they might be an asset rather than an expense.

My landfill mentioned they may have to turn away green waste from time to time because they can't get rid of it fast enough ;) I'm just trying to be proactive.

Az Gardener
04-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Just giving this a bump to see if anyone else had tried this.

sheshovel
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I would think a cardboard box bailer would be better..those are way expensive though.I think a homeowner trash compactor would be way too small and not practical at all.They only have a small area for putting stuff in.Have you got a place you could make a large compost bin?Or you could buy one of those huge barrel composters that Mantis company sells and make compost out of your clippings.

David Haggerty
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
That's how they bale marajuana to smuggle it across the border. I wouldn't want to be riding around Phoenix with bales of "grass" in the back of a pickup!

Dave

MOW ED
04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I have thought about this but never tried it. The cool season grass here is very wet in the spring (KY Blue, rye , fescue) and I know it would hold together even after being smashed. I am trying to think of a market for the blocks of grass and wonder if an analysis of the juice would show any potentially hazardous levels of chemicals or sky high levels of NPK? Would it be miracle grow liquid? I think you are on to something. Now I am going to E-bay to find a cheap trash compactor.:)

topsites
04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I stopped bagging sometime in my first years and today finally (it took years) I have NO BAG ACCOUNTS.

It is amazing how much smaller my pile of clippings has gotten.

Az Gardener
04-30-2006, 03:58 PM
In the summer its to hot here to mulch, the bacteria tha breaks down the turf cant survive, and you can't mulch with a reel unless you are cutting daily.

Dashunde
04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Never done it, but this might work good...

Use those thick contractors garbage bags, fill it up 3/4 full with grass, then wrap the end around your blowers intake and zip-tie it closed. (This assumes using a handheld with a 8-10" intake grill)
With all the air sucked out it might reduce down a lot?