PDA

View Full Version : Discharge opening (what would you do?)

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2006, 10:33 PM
OK, the rear of the discharge mouth on the Lesco is shaped like /

Without the Turbo baffle/discharge kicker, sometimes clippings will bridge across the rear of the lip.

Now, as I am trying to get started building an OCDC for it I have 2 problems.
The issue above (would rather have kicker out for when I close the OCDC)

The second issue is the / shape at the rear of the mouth.
It cuts back into the curve of the deck.
So your typical flat OCDC plate will not work.

Now with those issues would you.....

1) Bolt a piece to the rear of the discharge to make the outside of the opening flat so that a flat OCDC plate with seal against it... and hope there is no bridging of clippings.

2) Cut the rear of the discharge mouth out to a steeper angle that the stock /
Then pray that solves the clipping bridging.
Then go through trying to figure out how to make an OCDC with a curved plate.

dcondon
04-28-2006, 10:41 PM
I would start with #1 first. Try and stay away from cutting something if you don't have to!!!! JMO:waving:

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I would start with #1 first. Try and stay away from cutting something if you don't have to!!!! JMO:waving:

That is my initial thoughts also. Not only do I avoid cutting, but I kill 2 birds with one stone.... hopefully anyways.

I don't know though. For some reason I'm still thinking the clippings will bridge on the add-on plate too. But at least all I have invested is materials and some work. If it doesn't work I can always just unbolt it... whereas on the other hand, once I cut, well it's cut.

Buckeye1
04-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Why mess with it. I would think you already have the perfect situation for a flat plate. When you close the plate the grass that that comes through squirts out backwards. It probably lets enough grass and air come through that you don't have all the blowout around the deck. I would at least bolt a flat plate on and see exactly what happens before doing anything else.

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Why mess with it. I would think you already have the perfect situation for a flat plate. When you close the plate the grass that that comes through squirts out backwards. It probably lets enough grass and air come through that you don't have all the blowout around the deck. I would at least bolt a flat plate on and see exactly what happens before doing anything else.

Hummm... never realy thought of it that way, I have to admit.

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, just to update, I took some thin sheet metal and fabricated a plate to make the discharge opening smaller. I didn't get all fancy with it or anything. Just a curved plate that makes the discharge opening square and like 9" or 10" wide. This is plenty enough to create a flat surface for the OCDC to close against.

Anyways, I tested my little plate side discharging for a day with the kicker out of course like I wanted. It seemed to take care of the bridging of clippings at the rear of the mouth. But I didn't have it in any really harsh or wet conditions.

I was surprised with the results from what I did use it. I had no faith in it at all when I mounted it because of the new size and shape of the discharge opening that installing it created.

If I have a chance, I'm going to run it again the next time it rains and if it does OK, I'll use it as a template to build a more rigid one.

PaulJ
05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I made my OCDC so it curves around the back and front of the deck slightly. I made it out of the original chut so it bolts right on and is not in the way of the bagger.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26866&d=1097213185

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26867&d=1097213207