PDA

View Full Version : Sod Rolling

Detra Hagerman
05-14-2001, 11:02 PM
Hi,
I am so confused. I was always under the impression that rolling sod was to create contact with the ground. I have a builder we work for who is insisting that we roll our sod but I believe they want it for the wrong reasons.

Example: I lay a yard today and my guys saturate the ground. Tomorrow the siding guys & painters walk through it creating huge footprints and holes. The builder is having it power washed for delivery, the cable man is diggin it up to bury his cable etc. You get the picture. I think people are mislead into believing that rolling the sod corrects these problems. Obviously it does not.

I am also being told by the turf farm where we purchase the sod that Virginia Tech is not recommending that you roll sod anymore. Does anyone have any information on this subject??? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Detra Hagerman:confused:

thelawnguy
05-14-2001, 11:41 PM
"Example: I lay a yard today and my guys saturate the ground. Tomorrow the siding guys & painters walk through it creating huge footprints and holes. The builder is having it power washed for delivery, the cable man is diggin it up to bury his cable etc. You get the picture."

Shouldnt the sod be the last thing done, after everyone else has made their mess?

If the soil beneath has been properly compacted footprints and holes shouldnt be an issue.

Lanelle
05-15-2001, 12:34 AM
We are dealing with heavy clay in Northern VA that will pump and move a lot when saturated. Its brick solid when dry though! Re: VA Tech's latest info, call Susan DeBolt at the Prince William County extension office and ask her. She has direct contact with VA Tech and should be able to help you. Be sure to tell her the name of your business so she knows that she is dealing with a contractor and not a homeowner.
If you don't hear back from her in a reasonable amount of time, say a week, pm me and I'll try to help you.

Just an idea. Have you tried putting up tall stakes with flagging ribbon along the road and drive to discourage these wayward tradesmen?

gusbuster
05-15-2001, 01:37 AM
Any new sod that I install, I make it clear that it can not be walked on for the first 2 weeks. The sod and any landscaping should be the last project that is done on any kind of remodel or new construction.

If the contractor that you are dealing with still insist on doing the landscaping before construction is done, do not warrant your work.

The reason that you roll sod is to make sure that it makes contact with native soil. As you are saying, rolling sod after will not correct these problems created by other contractors.
John

jkinchla
05-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Oh that's a simple one - don't work for builders!

Their goal in business is to confuse and bewilder......

4_wheeler
06-02-2001, 11:15 PM
If you are building a house you would want to get the house done first. The landscaping is done last. You may never know what the builders will bring in.

sodJerry
06-05-2001, 09:47 PM
The only time I roll yards is to get the lumps and bumps out of a yard. In an ideal world everyone would be finished on the huose before we lay the sod and homeowners could float above the lawn when moving sprinklers. But schedules don't always match and call backs are normal. Short of rolling the sod up and regrading, rolling is your best option.

KirbysLawn
06-06-2001, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
Shouldnt the sod be the last thing done, after everyone else has made their mess?

That's exactly what I was thinking??

Meier
03-25-2003, 11:44 AM
From reading this thread, it looks like rolling the sod after you lay it isn't something that must be done.

It would seem to me, if you have pretty level soil, there's not much reason to roll the sod.

I figure if the sod stays wet, it'll root into the soil below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
DFW, TX

Mykster
03-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by gusbuster

If the contractor that you are dealing with still insist on doing the landscaping before construction is done, do not warrant your work.

John

I agree 100%.

Couple years ago we had a Home Depot, Wal-Mart and a strip mall built in one complex. The LCO had laid sod along the perimeter road. Looked really nice. A week later, another contractor was their digging it up, than it was patched up. Then it was dug up more buy other contractors. They even tore out a whole section roughly (800sq. ft) of sod.