PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is not such a bright idea after all?

Envy Lawn Service
04-29-2006, 12:05 AM
OK, so I was getting sick and tired of having all the hand tools in the back of the truck (rakes, shovels, so forth). Sure as I take them out I'll need something, or have to re-load them. Sure as I don't, they are always in the dang way.

So then I had this bright idea that I would build myself a cool cheap rack to put them in for the trailer. So I stopped at the builder's supply and picked up a hand full of 2x4's.

My thoughts were that I would build a wood rack like so l=l
Then I would bore holes in both pieces to stand the tools up in.
Then I would mount it real sturdy to the front of the trailer.

So I decided I would make it pretty much the size of the rear gate.
6 feet wide, 4 feet high.
So I cut my stuff.

It was not until I went to fit my upright 2x4's that I began to question my idea.

I have some L plates to screw the bottom to the trailer floor, and I have some bolts to bolt the 2x4's to the top side rail of the trailer....

What has me questioning myself is my side rails on this trailer are only 10" off the floor. So I have 38" of 2x4 hanging up in the breeze above where it will be bolted to the side rail.

So now I am a little concerned with my bright idea....

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2006, 12:16 AM
as long as you bolt it down good to both the floor and side rails you should be fine, thats the same thing im doing with my trailer this weekend, i hate the hand tools in the truck

mike lane lawn care
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
bolt it to the floor securly and to the side with many bolts and you should be fine. or you can use PVC piping to hold the tools.

Envy Lawn Service
04-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Well, I can bolt it to the top portion of the side rail, and as stated above, I had planned to. But at the bottom I can't bolt it. The bottom part of the side rail barely sticks up above the floor board thickness. This is the same reason my 12" sides are only 10" above the floor.

So... I had planned to bolt it to the sides at around 10" and then I have these steel L structural plates I had planned to use to secure it to the floor. These plates allow for 3 nails or screws through the floor and the same through the bottom of the 2x4. This would secure them to the floor and pin them against the portion of the bottom rail that rises above the floor boards.

Note that I do not have a bottom rail running across the floor that I could bolt down at various points. I thought about that, but really it would not add any structural integrity to the rack because it would still be no stronger than the connection of the uprights.

But in the end, all in all, I'm not really concerned about it coming loose in the same manner I believe you guys are... My main concern is the fact the highest anchor point is 10" or less up the upright boards. The remaining 38" is in the wind.

I'm concerned a shovel or something might catch the wind good sitting 4 foot off the trailer floor and the possiblity it might be too much leverage that far away from the highest anchor point.

I'm already thinking about just putting one bolt in each 2x4 to secure it to the top rail and placing it off-center to the rear of the board so there is more wood in front of it than behind it. That way it would be harder to crack/split it pulling down the road.

BCFLawnLandscape
04-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Have a GREAT Tool rack on our trailer. Used old corner posts from a chain link fence job. Welded them to the front of the trailer. Don't have to worry about anything breaking off, and they don't rust or rot!!!!! Works out great! you should try that!

lawnmaniac883
04-29-2006, 10:58 AM
2'' PVC pipe with round pipe clamps. Works great.